cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Protecting Rogers box outside my home

fixplease
I plan to stick around

I'm not happy that my Rogers box/cable installed outside my home could easily tampered be with.  There is a small box similar to the following attached to my home:

https://www.amazon.ca/Enclosure-IPE963-LTC-Extreme-Broadband-Dimensions/dp/B07FY224LW/ref=asc_df_B07...

Then there is an exposed cable that comes into my basement. 

Two questions:

1) Can I secure that cable by putting conduit on the cable that enters my home? (to prevent a burglar from cutting it)

2) Is there anyway I can secure the box better? (via a padlock or maybe buying a better box myself)

Or is Rogers going to have an issue if I do anything to their property (that is attached to my house)??

I just want to secure it better.  Any suggestions would be helpful

thanks

*Added Labels*

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Protecting Rogers box outside my home

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@fixplease  1. You are not allowed to tamper or change the box in any way.  It should require a special screwdriver or something similar to enter the box, so it should already be "locked".

2. As for conduit, if a thief wants to cut cable, your conduit would have to be pretty strong, or they could pry the box, with our without a lock, it's just plastic after all.

3. It would have been better had you posted a picture of the box on your home rather than an Amazon link. What about the cable that goes "into" the box. Where does it come from?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think your being a little too worried. Its very rare that Telecommunications Demarcation equipment are vandalized. There is no benefit or financial gain to someone who choses to vandalize or damage a telecommunications demarcation box.  The boxes are owned by the providers such as Rogers, Bell, Cogeco, Shaw, etc.   If they ever do fall off or get damaged or break, the cable company will come out and fix or replace it. Even if the wires get corroded or cut they still have to come out and fix the damaged wires.

I would seriously consider you put your mind to rest on this issue as it is very rare and uncommon thing to happen and even in the rare case if it did happen they would promptly fix it for you.

fixplease
I plan to stick around

thanks for the reply.

Cable comes from the ground via a small plastic conduit - then into the box (see attached).  The cable box is on the right.  You can see the exposed cables.

I'm concerned about burglaries.  In my area, the bad guys are using Deauth jammers and cutting cables so the security cameras do not function.  It would be so easy for someone to cut my cable or phone line.

Yes, they can do it no matter what - but security is about layering things (ie making it more difficult).  That is why I would like to at least secure the cables coming into my home.

IMG_1215 (2).jpg

fixplease
I plan to stick around

Pauly:

I could care less about how quick they would repair things.  This is about security (see my previous post) and yes the "bad guys" are cutting cables in order to get into homes (security cameras won't work and potentially alarms).  There is your financial gain......

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you're worried about cables getting cut and security, I suggest an home alarm system that utilizes the cellular network.  Also, have security cameras that record to a HDD, or thumbdrive or SD card (all of which have no ongoing costs) as well as to the cloud, which usually has a monthly fee.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I second what 57 said. There are plenty of security systems out there that store your recordings offline even if your internet connection is cut.  There is also several security systems out there that operate via cellular network so even if they cut your phone or internet or cable line, your security system is still able to communicate.

To protect yourself from a criminal you must also think like one. Chances are, if your house has any form of security alarm or surveillance system, the thieves are likely to move on to another house to target.  possibly one that is less secure.  Also you have to wonder what are they after?   I've heard of thieves being so brazen lately they will steal a car in broad daylight with cameras and everything around them.

fixplease
I plan to stick around

Yes. I have all that already.  I know about security options.

I just want to know if I'm allowed to put conduit over the exposed cables that enters my home.  that is all

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If it makes you feel better, I don't see why not add conduit.  Earlier you were talking about box changes, which are against the terms of service AFAIK.  Here's a link to the TOS, which don't seem to address your question directly, but do have a section on "Equipment" and "Access", which Rogers has to your property.  

https://assets.ctfassets.net/8utyj17y1gom/5kZeFugE8fdJUaFhM061wN/e36db91b40f08a7576ae6a5d7a08b620/te...

You could always contact Rogers directly.  I have found the mods on this forum helpful and they may be able to get you a definitive answer.  See paragraph below:

When logged into the forum, click on @CommunityHelps  .  On the page that comes up, you'll see a link on the top right of the screen to "send a message".  If you're using a tablet or phone, you may need to switch your browser to the desktop version. How to do that will depend on the device but a web search should find it.  There may be some back and forth required while Rogers get your personal information to look into your account.  Personal information is not allowed in this forum.  

fixplease
I plan to stick around

thanks.  Will ask directly

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 in conversation