How to disable SIP/ALG on Hitron CGN3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kchkwan
I'm Here A Lot

Re: How to disable SIP/ALG on Hitron CGN3

Hi,

Read on the msg board about disabling the SIP/ALG in order to use VOIP.

Theres also an edit on those posts saying, that this request should be made on Community Help?

Can I please be redirected or get a little more information on this? 

Thanks

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kchkwan, you are correct.  Most likely you need to disable the SIP/ALG setting in the modem in order to use VOIP.  Unfortunately, the moderators will no longer do this, nor will tech support.  That appears to be the result of a recent corporate decision.  If you ask tech support to do this for you, you will be directed to the Techxpert service, which is a fee for service.  For $69.99 ( I think that's the current price) the Techxpert CSR will probably argue with you about the need to disable the SIP/ALG, ie: you're completely wrong, and then for the stated fee, take all of about 5 seconds to flip the setting. 

If you decide to go that route, note that the SIP/ALG setting is not stored properly in the modem.  So, if the modem restarts or is upgraded (possibly) you will lose that setting and be back at square one.  You can get around this by storing a backup configuration file.  You would have to navigate to the ADMIN .... BACKUP page and create a backup file on your computer by using the Backup function. If the modem ever loses power for some reason, and restarts without the SIP/ALG setting, you can return to that page and use the Restore function to restore all of the settings, including the SIP/ALG setting. 

There was another user who recently pointed out that he was able to obtain a backup file from a friend, who also happened to have the SIP/ALG disabled and that he was able to load that backup file, so, that is food for thought if you happen to know someone who has the same model of modem, CGN3, CGN3ACR, or CGN3ACSMR, and who happens to have the SIP/ALG disabled.

Other than that, my usual advice, considering the price of the Techxpert service, is to buy your own router, one with external antenna and gigabit WAN and LAN ports and use that in full router mode with the modem running in Bridge mode.  There are numerous users in the forum who do that.  For the price of the Techxpert service, you're 1/2 to 1/3 along the way to buying a good router.

pete333
I've Been Here Awhile

Easiest method... Call tech Support... for the Hitron Ignite... the setting can be found under Basic, Gateway Settings. SIP ALG... they will need to look for it and then select disable... Only tech support has the option, not end user. But easy if you tell them where to find it.
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If anyone chats with a Tech Support CSR that hasn't read the memo, it might happen, but, I wouldn't count on it.  I suspect that when he or she sees either VOIP or SIP/ALG on their computer monitor, it also says, "Refuse the request and push the customer to the Techxperts"

pete333
I've Been Here Awhile

Actually I rang TechExpert they gave me the instructions to pass back to CSR on tech support line.  Didn't cost me a thing! The CSR had no idea what I was talking about but was able to follow the instructions and get the job done!

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Lol, congrats.  Please read my comment above, regarding the problem of the modem losing that setting in the event of a power outage and reboot.

RogersMoin

Community:  Reminder - as indicated in the edited message, As of August 01, 2016 @CommunityHelps will be able to assist with enable/disable of  SIP/ALG, thank you all.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

YAY, WOOHOO, glad to see this change !!!

jasadi
I've Been Around

Hi ... can you help  with instruction on how to disable SIP in my Hitron CGN3 modem?

RogersMoin

Hello, @jasadi

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for joining the Community and seeking help with disabling SIP. We can definitely help with your request, please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps when you are online. Our private messaging system is explained in this blog.

Cheers,

RogersMoin