cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable SIP/ALG on Hitron CGN3

thebwv232
I've been here awhile

I have read several threads on this forum where VOIP does not work with a Hitron CGN3. A solution given involves having SIP/ALG disabled but it is stated that Rogers needs to be contacted to perform this. There are threads that state such assistance would be fee-based and threads that indicate Community experts can help. I have yet to find a thread which states exactly what the 'fix' is. Is this a firmware upgrade?

Regardless, I need to have this disabled as well as placing the ip of the telephone adatper in DMZ is not a secure option. I do not believe I should have to pay for such a service and would perform it myself if I knew what the 'fix' actually was.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to disable SIP/ALG on Hitron CGN3

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)

@thebwv232

Check out our Ask an Expert discussion held in October 2015 here: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/RAAETechXpert/thread-id/3

In order to disable SIP/ALG on the Hitron CGN3 you would need to contact Rogers TechXpert for assistance.

RogersDarrell

**Edit** As of August 1st 2016 please contact @CommunityHelps for assistance with disabling SIP/ALG on your Rogers modem.

View solution in original post

41 REPLIES 41

RogersDarrell

@thebwv232

Check out our Ask an Expert discussion held in October 2015 here: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/RAAETechXpert/thread-id/3

In order to disable SIP/ALG on the Hitron CGN3 you would need to contact Rogers TechXpert for assistance.

RogersDarrell

**Edit** As of August 1st 2016 please contact @CommunityHelps for assistance with disabling SIP/ALG on your Rogers modem.

thebwv232
I've been here awhile
I have read the referenced 'Ask an Expert' discussion. Was looking looking for more info as per my questioning on what exactly is the nature of the solution to disable SIP/ALG. The response here is ... 'pay Rogers 69.99 + tax' ... I already pay Rogers 400 per month for other services so not intersted in paying more. This switch setting that only Rogers can disable seems like another way for them to take even more money from me.

Send a pm to @CommunityHelps to turn off the SIP/ALG on the modem.  When that is done, and your phone works, log into the modem, navigate to ADMIN... BACKUP.  Run the Backup Function and store the file on your pc somewhere that you will know where it is.  If the modem loses power, and reboots, or you have to run a factory reset at any time, return to that BACKUP page and run the RESTORE function, using the file that you had previously created.  Reboot the modem and you are back where you left off.

The Hitron modems have been seen to lose the SIP/ALG setting, so you end up paying Techexpert again, or, run the backup file.  For 69.99 + tax, you're one third to halfway of the way towards buying a decent router where you have access to all of the settings.

thebwv232
I've been here awhile

Thanks for the reply and details.

Unfortunately CommunityHelps will not assist with this ...This is something Rogers wants to make more money at ... I will take my business elsewhere.

I was advised they do not support VOIP services and are unable to disable the SIP/ALG on your Hitron modem.

We must contact Rogers TechXpert here: http://bit.ly/TXpert or via 1-866-876-8772

grrrr, yup.   Either take your business elsewhere or bite the bullet and buy a good router.

ScooterTor
I'm here a lot

I found the final reply in that thread from the Rogers Product Manager to be particularly galling.  If the CGN3 router and its firmware had not been designed with the intention to facilitate VoIP and other SIP traffic, it would not be reasonable to expect such features to be added.  But the SIP application level gateway is part of the firmware precisely to enable SIP traffic to overcome NAT issues and reach the target device.  The problem is that SIP ALGs will sometimes work at cross-purposes with client- and server-side solutions and render communication impossible.  That isn't a "our product was not designed to work with external services" problem, that's a "we made our product defective by impairing functionality when trying to improve it" problem.

No one is expecting the SIP ALG to be rewritten to address every possible permutation that could break SIP, but it is beyond infuriating that Rogers should be so stubborn in refusing to disable it for those who would benefit.  The entire history of this issue is of a continuous and dogged refusal by Rogers to accept any responsibility when its products fail to perform as designed.  Instead, we get a litany of "open more ports, make your network more visible, put the device in the DMZ."  We got the same "not our problem" attitude when Rogers One Number had similar issues, without the excuse that it wasn't their product, 

No, we should not have to expose our devices to reckless risks because Rogers tech staff don't want to click their mouse to clear a tick from a box.  

This is an ongoing problem which could be solved very easily by setting the default value for the SIP/ALG to "Disabled".  That would resolve the issue for a vast majority of people. 

That's just it, though, are the vast majority of people using VoIP or other services enabled by SIP experiencing problems, and how many people would be adversely affected by losing the functions of the ALG if it was disabled by default?  In my case, I initially had a one-way audio problem with Rogers One Number with toll-free area codes only; all other calls were fine and even that resolved itself within a few months (firmware revision, I expect).  I do audio and video conferencing on several platforms and never had a problem.  Many routers have the ALG enabled by default; there was presumably a reason for that, and perhaps that should be revisited.  But most routers allow it to be disabled by the user; I have no clue why HItron thought otherwise, and unless and until that changes Rogers should disable it for any customer having problems because of it.

ScooterTor
I'm here a lot

If I were a cynical person, I might wonder if Rogers wants it to be difficult and/or costly to disable the SIP ALG, which is now preventing their customers from using competing services.

Hi,

Read on the msg board about disabling the SIP/ALG in order to use VOIP.

Theres also an edit on those posts saying, that this request should be made on Community Help?

Can I please be redirected or get a little more information on this? 

Thanks

@kchkwan, you are correct.  Most likely you need to disable the SIP/ALG setting in the modem in order to use VOIP.  Unfortunately, the moderators will no longer do this, nor will tech support.  That appears to be the result of a recent corporate decision.  If you ask tech support to do this for you, you will be directed to the Techxpert service, which is a fee for service.  For $69.99 ( I think that's the current price) the Techxpert CSR will probably argue with you about the need to disable the SIP/ALG, ie: you're completely wrong, and then for the stated fee, take all of about 5 seconds to flip the setting. 

If you decide to go that route, note that the SIP/ALG setting is not stored properly in the modem.  So, if the modem restarts or is upgraded (possibly) you will lose that setting and be back at square one.  You can get around this by storing a backup configuration file.  You would have to navigate to the ADMIN .... BACKUP page and create a backup file on your computer by using the Backup function. If the modem ever loses power for some reason, and restarts without the SIP/ALG setting, you can return to that page and use the Restore function to restore all of the settings, including the SIP/ALG setting. 

There was another user who recently pointed out that he was able to obtain a backup file from a friend, who also happened to have the SIP/ALG disabled and that he was able to load that backup file, so, that is food for thought if you happen to know someone who has the same model of modem, CGN3, CGN3ACR, or CGN3ACSMR, and who happens to have the SIP/ALG disabled.

Other than that, my usual advice, considering the price of the Techxpert service, is to buy your own router, one with external antenna and gigabit WAN and LAN ports and use that in full router mode with the modem running in Bridge mode.  There are numerous users in the forum who do that.  For the price of the Techxpert service, you're 1/2 to 1/3 along the way to buying a good router.

pete333
I've been here awhile
Easiest method... Call tech Support... for the Hitron Ignite... the setting can be found under Basic, Gateway Settings. SIP ALG... they will need to look for it and then select disable... Only tech support has the option, not end user. But easy if you tell them where to find it.

If anyone chats with a Tech Support CSR that hasn't read the memo, it might happen, but, I wouldn't count on it.  I suspect that when he or she sees either VOIP or SIP/ALG on their computer monitor, it also says, "Refuse the request and push the customer to the Techxperts"

pete333
I've been here awhile

Actually I rang TechExpert they gave me the instructions to pass back to CSR on tech support line.  Didn't cost me a thing! The CSR had no idea what I was talking about but was able to follow the instructions and get the job done!

Lol, congrats.  Please read my comment above, regarding the problem of the modem losing that setting in the event of a power outage and reboot.

Community:  Reminder - as indicated in the edited message, As of August 01, 2016 @CommunityHelps will be able to assist with enable/disable of  SIP/ALG, thank you all.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

YAY, WOOHOO, glad to see this change !!!

jasadi
I've been around

Hi ... can you help  with instruction on how to disable SIP in my Hitron CGN3 modem?

Hello, @jasadi

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for joining the Community and seeking help with disabling SIP. We can definitely help with your request, please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps when you are online. Our private messaging system is explained in this blog.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I sent message to  @CommunityHelps  but did not hear back anything. Can anyone help me on how to  disable SIP/ALG so my Vonage VOIP works on Rogers properly.

Topic Stats
  • 41 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 13 in conversation