Did you mean: 

Home Networking Challenges

k4kman2
I've been here awhile

Strange Device connection problems / inside Networking challenges:

Hi I’m having very strange problems and need some suggestions on what I can do

First my network was working fine on my old provider with my own router/wifi

My original setup (On old Provider)

Technicolor (TC4400) that Connected to a Asus AX-92U and then to a distribution switch HP V1910-24G

Then most devices connect via CAT5 cable direct to the switch.

So now comes my Rogers new modem (Technicolor Model#CGM4140COM)

I then connect the modem direct to my HP Switch and shutdown my Asus.  of course I setup SSID Name and password as directed with my self install.

OK the problems: 

#1) I have two Nvidia Shield devices both connect via Ethernet (CAT5) yet both can get IP but cannot get out to the internet.  (Tried to turn off IPv6 still nothing)

Further testing I am able to get them to connect via WiFi but a do get many drops also it’s never as fast.  Why is my Rogers modem not letting these get out and no I have not turned on any options.

I even tried to put one on the DMZ and still did not work.

#2) Lennox iComfort Thermostat does not even see the Rogers wifi SSID at all.  I tried to manually put it in but nothing

#3) very old Sony laptop.  It’s able to connect to Rogers SSID but it’s really unusable gets maybe 1Mb down on speed test just Goes 2mb then down to 0 really unable to get out at all

So my temp fix is to setup my old Assus AX-92U as an access point and the old devices (Thermostat and Sonly Laptop).

I’m very open to suggestions please let me know if I have missed information that is needed to help in this problems.   Also #1 being the biggest problem

I have tired factory reset of modem (Holding little reset in 20seconds) exact same outcome

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Home Networking Challenges

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@k4kman2 do you also have the Ignite TV service, or phone services thru the modem?  

Even if you do, I would have no hesitation in running the modem in Bridge mode and use the router to run your network.  

Fwiw, your TC-4400 and the Technicolor CGM-4140COM use the same Broadcom BCM-3390 chipset.  The modem is another variation with additional telephone capability.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@k4kman2 do you also have the Ignite TV service, or phone services thru the modem?  

Even if you do, I would have no hesitation in running the modem in Bridge mode and use the router to run your network.  

Fwiw, your TC-4400 and the Technicolor CGM-4140COM use the same Broadcom BCM-3390 chipset.  The modem is another variation with additional telephone capability.

k4kman2
I've been here awhile

Sorry to take so long I wanted to make sure my internet was stable and everything is working.  Well like you said I have put my rogers modem into bridge mode and use my old Asus AX-92U and everything works as it should.

I do have one more follow up question if anyone can help.  on my Asus I would like to setup IPv6 but I need to find the options I did a few quick searches and nothing matches the questions mine has

when I go to enable IPv6 what do I select :

Native

Static IPv6

Passthrough

FLET's IPv6 Service

Tunnel 6to4

Tunnel 6in4

Tunnel 6rd

Any suggestions or point me to what i'm sure is this question already answered I just could not find it 

Thanks in advance 

@k4kman2 Rogers uses Native IPV6.  Have a look at the following post which shows IPV6 settings for various routers. 

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-IPv6-Status/m-p/373238#M36710

Rogers IPv6 Settings for ASUS routers

In the Advanced Setup / IPv6 menu:

• Internet Connection Type: Native
  • DHCP-PD: Enable
  • Auto Configuration Settings: Stateless
  • Connect to DNS Server automatically: Enable
  • Enable Router Advertisement: Enable

Now, if you wanted to use a different DNS you don't have to select the option to connect to the DNS Servers automatically.  If you enable that, you will use Rogers IPV6 DNS servers automatically, with the addresses provided by the CMTS.  If you disable that, you can enter your own DNS addresses when the entry windows appear after disabling that selection.  

When you're done setting up the IPV6 selections, reboot the router so that it will receive the IPV6 prefix during the reboot.  Following that, rebooting/restarting connected devices will result in IPV6 addresses being assigned to those devices.  

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 in conversation