cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bridge Mode and IPv6

User0357
I've been around

Hello everyone,

I am currently using a Ubiquiti's UNIF gear (APs, router/fw & switch). 
I've reviewed some of the previous threads and some threads with Unifi. I think I have things configured correctly (more or less matching the PFsense setup previously described)

Unfortunately I can't seem to get anything ....... It's like there's a missing "on switch" somewhere. Before flipping to bridge mode a v6 addy was there, so I know it works ... and it's not like it's rocket science to flip to dhcpv6, prefix length 64, delegation on the lan side and id 0. 

I'm gonna try power cycling everything just to make sure. I just changed over from a commercial setup (term ended) to a residential setup. On the commercial side I was static. Residential side I am all dhcp. I just swapped out the modems today. 

*Added Labels*

34 REPLIES 34

Re: Bridge Mode and IPv6

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@User0357 were you able to sort out the IPV6 situation?  Usually if you reboot the modem and router it should sort itself out if the follow on router is configured properly for Rogers IPV6 ops.  

@JKnott might be able to offer some advice on this if you're still having problems.  

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

Other than an access point, I don't have any experience with Unifi gear.  However, if you describe your settings, perhaps I can help.  Also, there is a Unifi community forum.  Perhaps someone there can help.

Cinderhelm
I've been around

Switch your prefix length 64 to 54

JKnott

@Cinderhelm wrote:

Switch your prefix length 64 to 54

Rogers supports /56, which provides the maximum prefix size.

msei
I've been around

Any luck with this? Having the same issue. No IPV6 on WAN with Unifi Dream Machine Pro.

gadgetgeek
I plan to stick around

Hi folks. I'm a resident of NL and recently moved to Rogers services after a long 18 year run will Bell Canada. So far so good.

I'm experiencing issues with IGNITE TV. I have a USG3 router plugged directly into a NOKIA ONT from Rogers. 

I have removed the Rogers Modem and Router and have Internet, Security and TV (for the most part) working perfectly. 

On Wednesday evening, I lost the IPv6. It was working perfectly for about 3 weeks. 

I did a hard reset on the ONT, done a power down and also a refresh on the TV terminals, no luck. 

When I ran the ipv6 test, it shows not supported. 

Any suggestions to what has happened? 

JKnott

Your hardware is completely different from mine, so I can't offer a lot of advice.  However, try with only Rogers provided equipment and see if it works.  If it doesn't, get Rogers working on it.  If you have your own router, they will not want to work on the problem.  Do your neighbours have the same issue?  When I had my problem a few years ago, it also affected my next door neighbour.  Through my own testing, I was able to prove the problem was in the CMTS and I identified it by host name.  However, I had a senior tech to my home.  He brought his own modem and found it also failed.  He then went to the head end and tried 4 different CMTS and only on the one I had identified it failed.

As @JKnott suggested, disconnect the USG3, plug the modem back in and reboot the modem a couple of times to allow it to pick up any firmware updates that it might need.  Using a pc connected to the modem, with the modem in its default Gateway mode, log into the modem and check the status of IPV6.  If there's no IPV6 address, then there's some type if Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS) problem which is preventing the CMTS from assigning IPV6 addresses to end user equipment. 

Even there is an IPV6 address, you still might not have IPV6 internet capability.  That's a different problem.

1.  Run a trace to somewhere:  tracert -6 www.google.com

2.  Look to see if you get an IPV6 address for www.google.com.  If the modem has an IPV6 address and the IPV6 address for google can't be determined, then there's a CMTS configuration issue which is not allowing IPV6 data to return to the user.  That might also be seen as an empty trace where the target address can be resolved, but, the CMTS isn't allowing IPV6 data to return to the user. 

So, If there really is an IPV6 CMTS configuration issue, it can manifest itself with slightly different results.

Having the Rogers ONT and modem running puts this squarely on Rogers to sort out.  

The Tech support agent that you will chat with first is a Level I tech.  He or she can't help you  as this is beyond their typical script.  Request to talk to a Level II tech who can look at the issue and report it to the Network Engineering staff.   The Level I tech will try to head you off at the pass.  Simple question, "Can you fix a CMTS IPV6 issue?"  If yes, ok lets get on with this (no chance that's going to happen).  If no, ok, pass me onto a Level Ii tech.  The Level II tech won't be able to fix this either, but, at least he or she can send the appropriate notification to the Network Engineer staff.  

Your mission, should you decide to accept it ..........

gadgetgeek
I plan to stick around

I've accepted the mission. Appreciate your assistance folks. I will report back tomorrow.

gadgetgeek
I plan to stick around

I have this resolved with what I believe to be a temporary fix. 

I live in Eastern Canada and I'm working with the Rogers supplied Nokia XS-020x Ont. 

It looks as if the TV boxes lost their IPv6 settings since I removed the XR7 and replaced it with the USG3. 

After following your advice, I hooked up the XR7 to the Nokia XS-020x and identified the IPv6 was working correctly. Then I removed the XR7 again and the USG3 now sees the IPv6 settings.  And of course... the TV boxes are working correctly again.

I wonder how many days will pass before I will be forced to do this again? Rogers suggests placing the XR7 in Bridge mode but it appears that cannot happen if you have a Nokia Fiber Ont with your service. Can anybody confirm this? 

Once again... I really appreciate all of your help with this!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gadgetgeek wrote:

I wonder how many days will pass before I will be forced to do this again? Rogers suggests placing the XR7 in Bridge mode but it appears that cannot happen if you have a Nokia Fiber Ont with your service. Can anybody confirm this? 

Once again... I really appreciate all of your help with this!

Yes, you are correct.  With FTTH installations, the XB7 connects to the ONT via its 2.5Gb Ethernet port, and the Ethernet WAN interface on the Ignite gateway cannot be used when Bridge Mode is enabled.

gadgetgeek
I plan to stick around

OK thanks for confirming. Do you have any suggestions on how one would use a 3rd party router with this setup? 

Would setting up a DMZ for port forward to the USG3 work in your opinion? 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gadgetgeek wrote:

OK thanks for confirming. Do you have any suggestions on how one would use a 3rd party router with this setup? 

Would setting up a DMZ for port forward to the USG3 work in your opinion? 

I'm not sure what the most optimal configuration would be that would also allow Ignite TV to operate trouble-free.  The challenge is that the Comcast designed their TV set-top boxes to connect to their gateways, not to 3rd-party network hardware... and if you are not careful about how you configure your equipment, you will find the set-top boxes either drop off of Wi-Fi or stop communicating on the network.

I can confirm that it is possible to get Ignite TV working with third-party equipment.  Basically, my strategy is to get Ignite TV working first in a Rogers-supported configuration.  I then configure the same Wi-Fi SSID into my own Wi-Fi AP's, connect those to my router, then put my Ignite gateway into bridge mode.  (If I were to use a different Wi-Fi SSID on my own equipment, the set-top boxes will get unhappy... so, it looks like the STBs still connect to special hidden SSIDs on the Ignite gateway from time to time and remain happy because they still connect to the same known Wi-Fi network on my AP that is also configured (albeit disabled) on my XB7.  These caveats were all found by trial and error because Ignite TV is not documented in any publicly-available information sources.)

IIRC, the Nokia XS-020 ONT has two LAN ports -- a 1G Base-T port and an 10G Base-T port.  I would try plugging the Ignite gateway into one port and disable Wi-Fi.  I would also try plugging the Ubiquiti USG onto the other LAN port.  Hopefully, Rogers will allow both to connect and hopefully, with the XB7 still active, it will allow the Ignite STBs to remain online.

gadgetgeek
I plan to stick around

Wow. Thanks so kindly for this detailed write up. This is super kind of you and VERY helpful!

I'm going to try the 2nd port on the NOKIA as a first step to see if I can get this to work. I have been unsuccessful so far getting 2 ports working on the ONT. However, I will do a hard reset and go from there. 

Have you every tried using a port forward or setting up your 3rd party router on a DMZ? I would just ignore the double NAT error messages if it would work. This is another option perhaps. 

Thanks again!

JKnott

If you have two routers, you will lose IPv6.  IPv6 uses DHCPv6-PD to provide the IPv6 prefix to your LAN.  A 2nd router will break that.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gadgetgeek I really would not recommend connecting your own router to an Ignite gateway unless Bridge Mode is enabled.  I have not tested connecting a router to a DMZ segment but it is not a "bridge mode" substitute.  At the very least, you will end up with broken IPv6 connectivity.

Another thing that you can try is to plug your USG directly to the Nokia ONT and then connect the XB7's Ethernet WAN interface to your internal network.

gadgetgeek
I plan to stick around

I lost the IPv6 address after approximately 2 days with the Rogers Router out of the equation.

I don't believe connecting the XB7 via the LAN port on the USG will work either - would that not break the IPv6 addressing?

Looks like its either:

1) try the 2nd port on the Nokia ONT for connecting the XB7 and hope that BOTH ports are active on the ONT.

2) Forget the USG and use the Nano HD access points and turn off the Rogers WiFi.

3) Forget Rogers TV or possibly use Chrome streaming instead.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gadgetgeek wrote:

I lost the IPv6 address after approximately 2 days with the Rogers Router out of the equation.

Well, that's disappointing.  I don't know why that would be happening and I don't know the Ubiquiti gear well enough to propose any configuration changes.  Do you actually see a loss of IPv6 connectivity on the USG or do you just see a loss of TV service?

A few summers ago, I would run into a problem where, from time to time, I would lose IPv6 connectivity out of the blue.  Basically, what seemed to be happening was that Rogers stopped routing to my delegated IPv6 prefix.  I figured that Rogers was doing some maintenance activity overnight and reset something that caused my IPv6 connectivity to break.  I reset the WAN6 interface on my OpenWrt router and everything started working again.

Then, a few days later, without any action on my part, the spontaneous IPv6 breakage stopped occurring.

I don't believe connecting the XB7 via the LAN port on the USG will work either - would that not break the IPv6 addressing?

In this configuration, the XB7 would not actually be providing network connectivity for any of your devices.  The idea was simply to keep the XB7 active on the network so that the set-top boxes could ping the LnF service on the Ignite gateway (via one of the hidden SSIDs) from time to time to keep them happy... assuming that this what was causing you to lose your TV service.

Looks like its either:

1) try the 2nd port on the Nokia ONT for connecting the XB7 and hope that BOTH ports are active on the ONT.

2) Forget the USG and use the Nano HD access points and turn off the Rogers WiFi.

3) Forget Rogers TV or possibly use Chrome streaming instead.

FYI, I have been doing something similar to option #2 in preparation for the possibility that I might get FTTH some day and would be forced to keep Bridge Mode disabled on my XB7.

You could also elect to stay in your current configuration.  If you continue to lose IPv6 connectivity consistently every 2 days, for all of your devices, then it might be due to a configuration issue on your side... or possibly a software bug/interoperability issue that's preventing the USG from renewing its IPv6 address.

JKnott

Losing IPv6 after a couple of days sounds like it might be the DHCPv6 lease expiring.  This fits in with what I said about the 2nd router blocking DHCPv6-PD.

JKnott

I understand that my hardware is completely different, but one thing remains, you must put whatever device Rogers provides into bridge mode.  No exceptions.  I have a cable modem, which I have put into bridge mode and then follow it with my own router.  I connect to my TVs via Ethernet, but WiFi should also work, since it's connected to the same LAN.

Topic Stats
  • 34 replies
  • 17 Likes
  • 8 in conversation