cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite phone and home alarm system

rookie8155
I plan to stick around

We got Ignite bundle installed last month. Rogers technician came home to setup Ignite internet router, Ignite TV box and phone. Our phone dmark point is in the basement near the electrical panel and that is where previous Rogers home phone box was mounted. Now when ignite bundle was installed, Rogers technician ripped apart everything in the basement and connected phone in our family room in the ignite modem. Even I did not realized that this guy has ripped apart everything in the basement  and messed my home alarm system which uses phone line.

Today, I got call from alarm company that my home alarm system failed self test with them. Then I realized that the guy messed up alarm system because there is no phone line connection down stairs anymore.

So now, how can I fix this issue. Can I plug the phone jack from family room and somehow patch it in dmark point to make alarm system line live or call Rogers?

I will appreciate your advice.

***Edited Labels***

25 REPLIES 25

Re: Ignite phone and home alarm system

Rettop21
I've been here awhile

Thank you, This option does not exist on my phone, but I see a completely different interface on my PC.  I will post some pictures.

Rettop21
I've been here awhile

Thank you so much.  I have posted a few pictures.  They seem to have reordered themselves but hopefully this helps.alarm boxalarm box2 wires from phone block to modem2 wires from phone block to modempanel (its a bit messy at the moment)panel (its a bit messy at the moment)phone blockphone block

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Hello Rettop21, it looks like your existing alarm system is already seizing the existing telephone line via the RJ31X jack.

There is a wire going into the Tel1 port of the Legacy Home Phone modem right now. Provided you want to install the Ignite modem in the same location, all you must do at this point is disconnect the RJ11 wire from the Tel1 port of your OLD home phone telephony modem and connect it to the Tel1 port of the New Ignite modem and Voila, your services will continue unaffected.

Your not really affected by this problem because you have proper structured wiring and have your modem in the same spot as the telephone, the problem is when you move your modem into a different room so you should be good.

Also you will no longer need to split the coax to the two modems since the ignite gateway is both a phone and internet gateway so you will free up some space and can remove the two way splitter and cables and have the incoming coax go right to the ignite gateway now.

good stuff, let us know how it goes

Rettop21
I've been here awhile

@Pauly

Thank you again for the help.  All up and running and I am pleasantly surprised with the new setup.  Ran a check on the home alarm and worked like a charm.

Not the prettiest setup.  I need to get shorter patch cables.

New SetupNew Setup

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I've had IgniteTV for 3 weeks and it appears that the Home Phone installation was very easy for me.  I simply had to "backfeed" the jacks in my home to get everything working.  I have an alarm system and although it will not "grab" the line if a phone is in use, it does appear to work otherwise. This is fine with me since it's highly unlikely that I will require the alarm system when talking on the phone.

For additional security, when away from home, I have four Arlo Security Cameras.  I was fully prepared to cancel my alarm service, with The Monitoring Centre if there would have been phone difficulties, but since it's only $10/mo at TMC, and since there were no difficulties, I'll keep it for now.

In order to do the "backfeed" as well as feed a phone near the gateway, I used a simple phone line splitter I had sitting around.

YMMV.

P.S. "Backfeed" means connecting the Gateway TEL port to one of the phone jacks in my home, thereby "backfeeding" all the phones connected via jacks.  Had this not worked, I probably would have purchased a cordless phone system with enough handsets.

Topic Stats
  • 25 replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 7 in conversation