cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Channels and screen freezing, cutout, no control from remote....error message

disillusioned23
I plan to stick around

Well a little update, we have had this ignite for about a month now and all was well....everything worked as advertised. Now we have screen freezing, tv going black, modem appears to be turning off and on by itself with no input from us. Also it does not like it when you run the program back...that leads to freezing as well.

Seems like a common complaint.....all is new and has been just fine before and immediately after ignite install. Now we have this, almost like the signal is being fooled with elsewhere.

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Channels and screen freezing, cutout, no control from remote....error message

reed935
I plan to stick around

I have been seeing a lot more of this video freezing/audio cutting out over the last little while.  For example, I was watching the Senators play the Canadiens last night on channel 8/27.  The stupid system would periodically freeze every couple of minutes for a few seconds.  Very annoying when you are trying to watch something with live action, given the price we have to pay for the service ...

Re: Channels and screen freezing, cutout, no control from remote....error message

Greetings!

If you're experiencing this particular issue, then I'd like to run some tests on your household and area so that I can get to the bottom of it for you. I may need to escalate a ticket or have a technician come out to investigate.

Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.

Regards,

RogersCorey  

disillusioned23
I plan to stick around

So it appears there is a problem.....if this modem works just fine and all tests show speed and coverage all ok at times ....then why do we have screen freezing and total shutdown ( internet and tv ) at other times during the day. I have an idea this tech is not much good....read cheap ???

This is not acceptable....we are looking for another way, rogers is just too big to care, all I get is the, " reset the modem " and check the connections....nonsense.

disillusioned23
I plan to stick around

So today we have all the problems continuing....seems to be american feeds and SN....now leafs game. Modem reset numerous times and the picture does not appear to be 4Khd....internet hanging in. 

Rogers can"t you fix this, what the heck are we paying for here. If I were not a previous customer I would not get involved with this type of service. Bell has to be better.

Update now tv off...internet still up

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm seeing the same as well in my area. 

First, some backstory.  My neighbourhood used to be served by an old fibre node.  The signal levels were horrible, the neighbourhood had recently experienced numerous multi-hour outages; my modem barely had enough signal to remain connected and my error stats were sky-high.  I got a tech dispatched to my house who confirmed that it was a maintenance issue.  Meanwhile, some crews were also in the area to install a next-gen fibre node.  I'm familiar with this new tech, and knew that Rogers was also still working to resolve some ongoing issues with it.  As a result, I didn't know when my neighbourhood would be cut over.

As it turned out, they did the cutover quickly, and initially provisioned the new gear with an interim config that was pretty stable.  My modem's signal levels and stats were perfect, and my error stats were absolutely clean.  Then, a few days ago, they upgraded the node to a new config and... well... let's just say that things have not been going all that well since then -- none of the downstream or upstream DOCSIS 3.1 channels are currently carrying any traffic.  For the past several days, we have been experiencing constant drop-outs with Ignite TV, Zoom calls were failing, constant drop-outs on live streams such as Internet radio, FaceTime calls were freezing.  Not good.

The thing is, my modem's connection is still solid.  My error stats are absolutely clean.  If I called tech support, they would probably say that everything is fine and would probably try to attribute the problems to something in my house.  However, LOTS of people in the area were getting techs dispatched.

I ran a ping test on my Mac while I was watching TV and here are excerpts that coincide with the Ignite TV drop-outs:

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=176 ttl=117 time=27.579 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=177 ttl=117 time=32.112 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=178 ttl=117 time=32.137 ms

Request timeout for icmp_seq 179

Request timeout for icmp_seq 180

Request timeout for icmp_seq 181

Request timeout for icmp_seq 182

Request timeout for icmp_seq 183

Request timeout for icmp_seq 184

Request timeout for icmp_seq 185

Request timeout for icmp_seq 186

Request timeout for icmp_seq 187

Request timeout for icmp_seq 188

Request timeout for icmp_seq 189

Request timeout for icmp_seq 190

Request timeout for icmp_seq 191

Request timeout for icmp_seq 192

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=193 ttl=117 time=38.410 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=194 ttl=117 time=35.262 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=195 ttl=117 time=35.292 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=435 ttl=117 time=23.463 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=436 ttl=117 time=28.165 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=437 ttl=117 time=32.732 ms

Request timeout for icmp_seq 438

Request timeout for icmp_seq 439

Request timeout for icmp_seq 440

Request timeout for icmp_seq 441

Request timeout for icmp_seq 442

Request timeout for icmp_seq 443

Request timeout for icmp_seq 444

Request timeout for icmp_seq 445

Request timeout for icmp_seq 446

Request timeout for icmp_seq 447

Request timeout for icmp_seq 448

Request timeout for icmp_seq 449

Request timeout for icmp_seq 450

Request timeout for icmp_seq 451

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=452 ttl=117 time=22.236 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=453 ttl=117 time=23.238 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=454 ttl=117 time=23.753 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=555 ttl=117 time=33.076 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=556 ttl=117 time=29.765 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=557 ttl=117 time=33.497 ms

Request timeout for icmp_seq 558

Request timeout for icmp_seq 559

Request timeout for icmp_seq 560

Request timeout for icmp_seq 561

Request timeout for icmp_seq 562

Request timeout for icmp_seq 563

Request timeout for icmp_seq 564

Request timeout for icmp_seq 565

Request timeout for icmp_seq 566

Request timeout for icmp_seq 567

Request timeout for icmp_seq 568

Request timeout for icmp_seq 569

Request timeout for icmp_seq 570

Request timeout for icmp_seq 571

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=572 ttl=117 time=27.285 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=573 ttl=117 time=32.179 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=574 ttl=117 time=50.496 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=843 ttl=117 time=29.241 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=844 ttl=117 time=33.784 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=845 ttl=117 time=21.264 ms

Request timeout for icmp_seq 846

Request timeout for icmp_seq 847

Request timeout for icmp_seq 848

Request timeout for icmp_seq 849

Request timeout for icmp_seq 850

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=851 ttl=117 time=53.139 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=852 ttl=117 time=29.767 ms

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=853 ttl=117 time=32.184 ms

Basically, what's happening in my case is that for several seconds at a time, the Rogers network was dropping network packets en masse.  The packets were not being delayed or dropped due to network errors.  A ton of network traffic was simply disappearing into a black hole, and the packet loss was so bad that Ignite TV was dropping out.  If you went into the Guide, even the Guide data was not loading immediately.

It could very well be that similar problems are occurring in your neighbourhoods as well.

disillusioned23
I plan to stick around

Well "G", that is what it seems I am seeing. Now today all is well , no issues yet. 

Now is it possible this stuff they got from a US provider cannot handle interruptions like the legacy stuff did ? All our house equip checks out great connections and all.....then you get the connection error message ( must be just a catchall message). Trouble is it leads people to believe it is their problem when clearly it is the area feed quality.

AMAZING......So as I write this the screen just froze.....good grief !!!@

Million dollar question....is this something rogers can fix or are we stuck with this nonsense and circular problem solving ???

@disillusioned23 wrote:

Million dollar question....is this something rogers can fix or are we stuck with this nonsense and circular problem solving ???

It's not an Ignite TV problem.  It's a Rogers Network problem.

disillusioned23
I plan to stick around

"It's not an Ignite TV problem.  It's a Rogers Network problem."

What do you think, is this network problem something rogers can rectify

Sorry I cant see how to quote just yet.

@disillusioned23 wrote:

What do you think, is this network problem something rogers can rectify

Maybe?  It depends on what is causing the problem.

Part of the problem is that in my neighbourhood, rather than replacing ancient infrastructure with FTTH, they deployed now-5-year-old tech that that is still bug-ridden.  Unfortunately, we will now also be stuck with that gear until Rogers gets a return on their investment... or until Bell (or someone else) starts their FTTH deployment in my area.

It might also be caused by a temporary routing loop in Rogers' network, that keeps recurring for whatever reason, which will cause the packets to be discarded when the TTL expires.

If the root cause is problematic tech, then Rogers needs to hold their vendor to account and force them to get the hardware and software bugs (and any interoperability issues) fixed.  They probably should have dumped the vendor long ago (and not even deployed the problematic tech in my area) but now they are committed.  If they drop the vendor now, then they will never fix their problems and Rogers (and us customers) will really, truly be stuck until an alternative can be deployed.

disillusioned23
I plan to stick around

Rogers Ignite......Still doesn't work reliably, constant resets needed for one tv, dropouts etc etc.... doesn't work reliably to security camera system without being physically connected and now I find the sprinkler system will can't connect.

The band steering is on , can't log in to the router for some reason, it just times out. It appears this equipment is cheap junk imo......

Why do I pay for equipment I have to spend so much time fooling with......if rogers was paying my wage to work on their stuff...well you get the idea.

disillusioned23
I plan to stick around

resolve at least one part....set top box....we will see, then I will respond with updates

Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 in conversation