cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activating Home Phone Jacks

mike881881881
I'm here a lot

This is a long shot, but can someone take a look at my Bell phone wiring and tell me how I can activate my jacks for Rogers Ignite Home Phone? The white box was installed when I had Bell Fibe internet and I believe it is a "dry loop".

Any help is greatly appreciated!

signal-2020-11-07-131731.jpg

*** Edited Labels ***

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Activating Home Phone Jacks

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mike881881881  Welcome to the Community!

That white box takes the incoming Bell line (which connects to "Line Tip/Ring") and splits it three ways.  One of those connections, "Modem T R", will go to a dedicated jack for your VDSL modem.  The other lines, labelled "Phone T R" are filtered and are used for connecting to telephones.  In a normal installation, one of those Phone connections will typically be wired to a junction point that feeds the wall jacks to your home.  Sometimes, the second Phone connection will be wired to a nearby jack.

I can't really see where either of those Phone connections are wired to.  It is also not clear where the pair for the incoming Bell service originates.  I'm also not sure what that grey cable (with the green/red, black/yellow pairs) is for or why it is wired that way.

Wiring the Ignite Home Phone jacks could either be really easy or could be a bit complicated depending on where the Rogers Ignite modem/gateway is located and also whether you want to use all of the jacks that the VDSL filter/splitter connects to.

You will want to completely disconnect the incoming Bell line from your internal wiring, even if the service is no longer active.

You will also want to (somehow) connect the "TEL 1" port on your Ignite XB6 gateway to the junction point that feeds your wall jacks.  Just how you do that will depend on where your Ignite gateway is located, whether it is in the basement (in this location) or located upstairs.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Hello mike881881881,

Let me make this really easy for you. To bring a Dial tone to your existing inside phone jacks, you do NOT need to tinker with or find the Point of Demarcation or POTS Splitter.

The white box is simply a pots splitter, it is only used for VDSL, you do NOT have VDSL so you can simply ignore what it does and treat it as a demarcation point.

All you need to do is find a existing phone jack in your house, ANY Jack, does NOT have to be the basement or Demarcation jack, and simply connect the Tel1 port from the Ignite Modem Gateway into the wall jack, and Bam, Voila, that is it, it now magically brings the dial tone to your existing jacks *provided the jacks are all wired on the same pair and all were connected to the inside wiring*

Do u have a House alarm system? this can complicate this and some people may not have a phone jack in the room where their ignite modem gateway is located, do u have any of these situations? if not, its easy peezy breezy for you.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mike881881881  Now that you no longer have a service with Bell, you absolutely MUST disconnect the incoming Bell line from the "Line T R" connector before connecting Rogers Home Phone to your in-home telephone wiring.

(Those blue thingies on the Comtest box are used to "punch" the wires down onto an internal connector.  You can flip them up (gently!) then disconnect the wire pair.)

If you install the Ignite gateway in the location pictured, hookup of your phone service will be EASY.  The Comtest box also has RJ11 jacks for the Phone, Line and Modem connections.  After you disconnect the Bell service from "Line T R", use a standard telephone cable to connect "TEL 1" on the Ignite gateway to the "Line" jack on the Comtest box, and voilà.  You should now have dial tone on all of your phone jacks.

Raywray
I've been here awhile

How does it complicate things if I have an alarm system hooked into my house wire phone lines?  If I plug a line from the Rogers Ignite box phone jack into my current Rogers Cable Home phone demarcation point jack will all of my wired phones work as well as the alarm system?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Raywray wrote:

How does it complicate things if I have an alarm system hooked into my house wire phone lines?  If I plug a line from the Rogers Ignite box phone jack into my current Rogers Cable Home phone demarcation point jack will all of my wired phones work as well as the alarm system?

The "complication" with a home alarm system is that the telephone service needs to connected to the alarm in such a way that the alarm system can seize the phone line when an alarm triggers.

The Ignite Home Phone service operates in the same manner as the legacy Rogers Home Phone service, so the easiest way to make the switch is to unplug the connection from your old Home Phone modem and plug it into the "TEL 1" jack on the Ignite gateway.  However, the downside with having an all-in-one modem/gateway is that while the basement is the easiest place to connect the phone service, the basement is also often the worst place to install a device that also provides your Wi-Fi connectivity.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
I agree. What -G- said is correct.
If you want to Activate dial tone on your existing wall jacks, you can connect a RJ11 phone wire from the Tel1 Jack on the Ignite Gateway to ANY (preferrably the closest) Telephone Wall Jack in your house, it does not matter which one you connect it to, as this will bring dialtone to ALL jacks in your house provided they are wired up correctly.

If you want to connect a monitored alarm system to your home phones inside wiring, its complicated because just like what -G- mentioned, the alarm system must "Sieze" the phone line to call the monitoring centre, this means if any telephone set is off the hook, the alarm will isolate itself from the rest of your inside wiring and still be able to call the monitoring centre.

Sounds complicated, it is complicated if you have a monitored alarm that still utilizes a PSTN home phone.

Bell has always placed their Demarcation point in the basement near your hydro panel, which is also conveniently located close to your alarm panel. but with Rogers ignite, its located where ever your modem is installed, this is the main difference.

Raywray
I've been here awhile

Thanks for this.  I would likely place the Ignite modem on the middle floor and it would not be a problem to run a phone line from this modem to the electrical panel where my current Rogers Cable Home phone equipment is located.  My basement has a dropped ceiling so I can run lines easily.  

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Raywray wrote:

Thanks for this.  I would likely place the Ignite modem on the middle floor and it would not be a problem to run a phone line from this modem to the electrical panel where my current Rogers Cable Home phone equipment is located.  My basement has a dropped ceiling so I can run lines easily.  

FYI, here's one way that you could do this if your home does not have structured wiring:  https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Home-Phone/Connecting-home-phone-to-Ignite-Router/m-p/482747/h...

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation