cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hex crimping tool die size for RG6 cable

memzilla
I've been here awhile

I picked up a hex-type crimping tool on sale which claims to be able to crimp RG6 cable, but the largest die on the tool is only 0.255 inch.

I've since noticed that other hex-type tools that crimp RG6 cable have 0.320 inch dies.

What is the correct size die for crimping RG6 cable with a hex-type crimping tool?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Hex crimping tool die size for RG6 cable

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @memzilla!

Welcome to the community!

To my knowledge my personal Coax Hex Crimping tool has both .360 hex for RG6 and .470 hex for RG11. I'm not familiar enough with the differing tools though to gauge what you've purchased versus what would be needed. Perhaps someone within the community could weigh in? 

@RogersAndy

memzilla
I've been here awhile

Thanks for the reply Andy.

There's about 1mm difference between 0.320 inch and 0.360 inch.

Do you use quad-shielded RG6? Perhaps the extra shielding accounts for the difference.

I'm crimping ordinary (dual-shielded) RG6.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
From what I can recall, Rogers Cable Communications has not used crimping for their Coaxial cables in what feels like decades.

From what I can recall as my time as a non-partisan cable technician, We and other companies such as Rogers Cable, used Compression Fittings called Snap and Seal manufactured by Thomas and Betts.

You can easily find them and the required tool at places such as Sayal Electronics, there's a location in Scarborough, and another at Dixie and Matheson.

memzilla
I've been here awhile

Thanks, but that's not what I asked.

Apologies @memzilla as I'm not sure :(. I haven't actually had to use the crimper. I'd recommend should a technician visit, to ask as they'd be the most likely to have an answer.

@RogersAndy

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@memzilla  As Pauly mentioned, Rogers now uses compression fittings called Snap and Seal manufactured by Thomas and Betts, or similar, not hex crimp fittings. These are very secure and reliable, but out of the price range of the amateur hobbyist. It seems to me there are a multitude of hex crimp sizes depending on the application, connector and cable dimensions. Just use Google and you'll be overwhelmed. Here is an example, http://www.l-com.com/multimedia/catalog_page/2K14M1_196-Coaxial-Crimping-Tools.pdf

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation