cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fox News why not full HD?

Greesh
I'm Here A Lot

Seams to me that it is intentionally not in HD. CNN is in HD and way more pleasant to watch then SD programming. It’s highly likely another Liberal tactic to keep people focused Left.

67 REPLIES 67

Re: Fox News why not full HD?

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

State propaganda is just as effective in SD as it is in HD.

Re: Fox News why not full HD?

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Greesh wrote:

Seams to me that it is intentionally not in HD. CNN is in HD and way more pleasant to watch then SD programming. It’s highly likely another Liberal tactic to keep the sheeple focused Left.


First of all, Fox News isn't even available unless you subscribe to an extra cost news package. The left leaning news channels like CBC, CTV and CNN are all on basic cable in HD. I can toggle between them on my kitchen TV with a DTR or my main TV. If I had the extra news package including Fox News that would come up SD with a windowboxed screen unless I zoomed it, not at all attractive.  The decision to broadcast Fox News  in SD in an extra cost package has to be political.


Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Re: Fox News why not full HD?

57
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

OLDYELLR wrote:  The decision to broadcast Fox News  in SD in an extra cost package has to be political.

Corporations like Rogers do not make political decisions. They make economic decisions to maximize profits for their shareholders. Although Fox News is quite popular in the US (but no longer always number one), the channel had/has very few people watching in Canada.  Very few.  IIRC from a few years ago, in Canada, it had only a couple of thousand viewers and less than 1/10th of the channels like CBC, CTV.  It is therefore likely that Rogers feels that the additional cost of airing the HD stream is simply not worth it for them for a couple thousand potential HD viewers.



Re: Fox News why not full HD?

Greesh
I'm Here A Lot

Not when you need to pay for it and isn't the greatest to watch compared to any HD channel.

Re: Fox News why not full HD?

Greesh
I'm Here A Lot
I’m sure that’s hardly the case. Fox News is the no.1 watched news network for almost 200 straight months in US. Shows like Hannity and Tucker Carlon are only behind ESPN in audience. So, sorry but the argument that Rogers is merely positioning the #1 news station hard to get and when you do buy it, it’s not in HD is not economically motivated, it’s politically motivated without a shred of doubt.

Re: Fox News why not full HD?

57
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Greesh wrote:
...it’s politically motivated without a shred of doubt.

Yep, corporations are known to be left wing. 



Re: Fox News why not full HD?

So, what you're saying here is that access and quality (HD vs SD) for tv viewers in Canada should be determined solely by American numbers, and determined and controlled by corperations in the U.S.  I'm sure that there are a good number of Canadians who would disagree with you.  If you believe that Fox junk is so popular in Canada, where are the numbers to back that statement up?  As @57 indicated, if the demand isn't there, then broadcasting companies aren't going to waste the bandwidth on it.  That's basic economics at work.  



Re: Fox News why not full HD?

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@57 wrote:

@Greesh wrote:
...it’s politically motivated without a shred of doubt.

Yep, corporations are known to be left wing. 


No tongue-in-cheek smiley?  Not sure who mandates which news channels are to be carried by basic cable, but I would think bureaucracies like CRTC, not corporations.


Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Re: Fox News why not full HD?

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Datalink wrote:

So, what you're saying here is that access and quality (HD vs SD) for tv viewers in Canada should be determined solely by American numbers, and determined and controlled by corperations in the U.S.  I'm sure that there are a good number of Canadians who would disagree with you.  If you believe that Fox junk is so popular in Canada, where are the numbers to back that statement up?  As @57 indicated, if the demand isn't there, then broadcasting companies aren't going to waste the bandwidth on it.  That's basic economics at work.  


With what is being spewed by CNN these days, why do we even have it on basic cable and in HD? I can't stand watching it anymore and I doubt many other Canadians do.


Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Re: Fox News why not full HD?

Since this topic has been on my mind for quite some time now I’ve decided to refer directly to Fox News for the answer. When I get some feedback from them i’ll update everyone.

Re: Fox News why not full HD?

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Greesh wrote:
Since this topic has been on my mind for quite some time now I’ve decided to refer directly to Fox News for the answer. When I get some feedback from them i’ll update everyone.

Fox News is the seller, Rogers is the buyer. I doubt Fox News HD feed costs more than CNN. But we get CNN in HD on basic cable along with CBC News Network and CTV  Newsworld.  Either Rogers thinks that these cable networks  are  the CRTC or what everyone wants, or it's mandated by the CRTC or CBSC as mandatory carriage. Considering how CNN has gone left wing partisan lately, I no longer see a reason for it to be carried unless it's balanced by something like Fox News. I feel CRTC and CBSC would be the organizations to ask. You could also ask Rogers via Share A Concern


Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Re: Fox News why not full HD?

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@57 wrote:

OLDYELLR wrote:  The decision to broadcast Fox News  in SD in an extra cost package has to be political.

Corporations like Rogers do not make political decisions. They make economic decisions to maximize profits for their shareholders. Although Fox News is quite popular in the US (but no longer always number one), the channel had/has very few people watching in Canada.


I bet if it was in HD on basic cable a lot more people would watch it, even lefties so they can hate it more.  As it is, we have to subscribe to an extra cost news package and then only see it in SD.  When I have breakfast or lunch I catch up on the news toggling between CBC News Network, CTV Newsworld and sometimes CNN on basic cable. I would love to cycle through Fox News for balance, but it's not there. The reason few Canadians watch Fox News is because they can't see it.  I can see it on my smart TV Youtube, but not on any other TV in my house.


Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Re: Fox News why not full HD?

57
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

1. No tongue-in-cheek smiley? 

 

2. Not sure who mandates which news channels are to be carried by basic cable, but I would think bureaucracies like CRTC, not corporations.


1. I couldn't find one.

 

2. It's the CRTC, however, that is not the topic of this thread.



Re: Fox News why not full HD?

toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor
Why anyone would want to watch Fox News to begin with is beyond me...unless you’re a far-right conservative, and if you are, well then you have other problems 🙂

While some argue CNN has tilted left, you have to remember they are “liberal media” so they’ve always leaned left. However, they are FAR more balanced than Fox News ever was or is today. If you’re watching Fox News and you’re believing even a fraction of the garbage spewing out of that channel, then you’re living on a different planet.

Re: Fox News why not full HD?

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

The only reason to watch Fox News today is to know what Donald Trump's policies will be tomorrow.

Re: Fox News why not full HD?

Greesh
I'm Here A Lot
Look guys, us conservatives respect your ability to lick your wounds and stroke each other in HD watching CNN. Just asking for the same respect for us “winners” who want to stay on top of the change and progress happening south of the border.

Re: Fox News why not full HD?

Dugi
I'm a Senior Contributor

@Greesh Don't you just love it when when liberals believe that only their views are the ones that are correct or worth watching? It is like anyone who expresses a contrary view must be wrong. How do we even have the nerve to consider watching Fox news? 

Re: Fox News why not full HD?

Greesh
I'm Here A Lot

I know... hahaha. I feel like i'm taking crazy pills 

Re: Fox News why not full HD?

Indeed you brought this topic to a more sensible approach.  You're absolutely right because the current left slanted situation is not fair. I wonder how Fox is offered at Bell... Will find out

Re: Fox News why not full HD?

Dugi
I'm a Senior Contributor

@Greesh

I have to assume that to the lefties, CNN reports the news accurately. SMH! Yes, I would be interested to see if Fox News is offered in HD by bell, but doubt they would be any different than rogers.