After 35+ Years I'm Parting (Most) Ways With Rogers Soon

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: After 35+ Years I'm Parting (Most) Ways With Rogers Soon

Rogers is a good product, don't get me wrong, but it's unbelievable how better this place looks without cables running in every direction.  I'm pleased with my choice thus far although some things need getting used to with the "Other" service.   There are negative things I would change there too, time will tell I guess.   I'll drop those off at "Rogers Cathedral", as we lovingly call their Toronto HQ, tomorrow on my way back from the dentist's.

I got a smart email from Rogers reminding me I had 5 days to return the boxes (1 x Nextbox 3, 1 x Phone Modem, 1 x Internet Modem and I even threw in the 1 free Digital Box I got to give me basic cable in a seldom used area).

Does anyone remember Rogers Interactive TV (CH: 100 back then - basically the US-based WebTV ) ?   One could email via the TV using a wireless keyboard and surf the web....even make ones own website.  I was so teed off when they cancelled that service, but they were starting the real push to get people to go the computer route.

How times have changed !

Peter
Toronto
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dallasdinatake wrote:
Get Android tv box and cut cable and upgrade your connection

This is not always an option for everyone.  Using an android box, with accessing LEGAL content..  not necessarily everything everyone would want, is accessible via the legal apps/sites/methods.
And also when they are, there is sometimes all SEPARATE subscription fees.

Adding up all these subscription fees, can sometimes actually be MORE than cable.  (all depends on what you want to watch).

As for watching content OTHERWISE on Android.
While not 'illegal' yet per say to do.. all the content you are watching on it, is ILLEGALLY put up there.  The people posting the content are doing so illegally.  They are stealing the content and putting it up there.
If EVERYONE started watching via an android box... no cable/sat company would be paid, nor paid via their direct sub... the content provider then gets NO money.   They have no money? They stop making shows.  Then no one gets to watch.

Thanks @Gdkitty.

I'd just like to take a moment to remind everyone that discussion of Android boxes is not allowed on our forums. I will leave your post up as it highlights the nebulous legality of these boxes that some people may not be aware of.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would agree. Not only are android boxes with illegal plugins questionable, they are also illegal in most cases because you are acquiring programming without paying for it.  To go onto a form and publicly admit you want to cancel your cable subscription and instead steal TV programming by utilizing an android box with illegal grey market plugins is not a good thing to admit in public, its also morally wrong. I'm very religious, I'm a Catholic and taught about right from wrong and this is clearly wrong in the eyes of God.

Highlighted
I Like it Here

Good morning folks you are leaving after 35 years peter and I am just starting so maybe you can answer my questions I took the basic package

At least it says over 130 channels 90 of them are standard definitions who

would watch a screen that does not fit your tv some are in a differentLanguage I do not understand! So that leaves around 20 channels in High definition that I watch that is if you can find them, I have phoned three times and they have nothing,In writing a guide which shows the channels

you have in your package??? How did you do it for 35 years I dont have that much time left! Peter you should get your package free!

For me it was simply financial reasons I switched.   Your HD channels are all inn the Channel 500+ range if I remember correctly.

There are still many people with standard definition TV's so those "smaller" looking screens are to fit their TV's.

Also the law requires all companies to provide multi-lingual channels.

You should be asking questions about this under "TV".

Good luck.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/bd-p/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes

Peter
Toronto

@pmcsplaza wrote:

For me it was simply financial reasons I switched.

That's not what you said in your original post .  Smiley Tongue  

I was certainly  under the impression from that , that the Rogers lack of quality service  was a factor as well . Smiley Wink

@barndoor wrote:

@pmcsplaza wrote:

For me it was simply financial reasons I switched.

That's not what you said in your original post .  Smiley Tongue  

I was certainly  under the impression from that , that the Rogers lack of quality service  was a factor as well . Smiley Wink

As this thread has been sidetracked so much I had to go look at my original post to be sure.  My second and third sentences are:

I've been offered a deal I can't refuse with Bell Fibe.   Although Rogers tried to match they couldn't quite and there are other reasons too.

Peter
Toronto

Then I went on with the other reasons.
That indicates monetary reasons.

Sorry about 2 posts but the darn thing wont let me edit it properly.

Peter
Toronto
I'm a Senior Advisor

I know it has been mentioned that the alternative boxes used for access to over the top services - and I am talking about honest things like apple TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Crave, and many others - I never saw the original post, as it appears it was deleted about the Android boxes (or a laptop for that matter), between an Antenna, attached PVR, and honest OTT services via whatever device I choose, it is an alternative.

I emphasize, I am talking about honest OTT services.  There are alternatives choices of what we watch in our TV mix, and this thread has seemed to digress into a discussion of illegal uses of service delivery to our TV viewing.

Just my view and I will say no more, and I will make my choices, but I can already tell you as with @pmcsplaza my change is purely financial (I can't afford TV services via Rogers or any alternative IPTV services period - I will live on less.  It is a purely financial decision, and as one service goes, that opens up the discussion on all services which my discussions to date, Rogers has provided no flexibility in meeting this customers needs.

Bruce