cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage Drained

MarinaTots
I've been around

I’d like to preface this by saying that I’ve been with Rogers for 15 years and have never experienced this before.

So my data cycle renews every 11th of the month. I have 15gbs worth of data that I have never gone over. Last night, the 12th, I was sitting at home, not using my phone (not to mention it was on wifi), and suddenly I get a “data usage alert” text (10:50pm), which is what I get when I’ve used 983mb of data (not much), but I wasn’t even on my phone. I let it slide. But 30 minutes later, on the dot (11:20pm), I receive another text “you have used 75% of your data”. Again, my phone was not in use, and was connected to WiFi.
I checked my Rogers app, and suddenly, from 15gbs, my data went down to 2gbs… never in my life have I used 13gbs worth of cellular data in 30 minutes, let alone an entire month’s cycle. I tried contacting Rogers, and they told me they couldn’t help me because it says it came from my phone.

I’d like to think I’m a tech savvy person. I don’t have any unusual apps. I don’t leave apps open when they’re not in use. I don’t have “background refresh” on, or wi-fi assist, or anything of the like. I have never used that much data, nor do I have apps that use that much data in that short amount of time.

But I can’t find information on this ANYWHERE. Can anyone explain this to me? Because now I have 2gbs left for the next 29 days.

*** Edited Labels ***

1 REPLY 1

Re: Data Usage Drained

RogersCorey

Good morning @MarinaTots!

It is actually really quite easy to use 15GB of data without much effort these days. The amount of data that our devices demand due to the amount of high quality video content that has proliferated all across the Internet has been increasing exponentially with each passing year.

If you use YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok or Reddit on your device, these apps will consume an extraordinary amount of data these days. All those Reels just eat data for their proverbial breakfast! Especially if you have autoplay for videos enabled. You may want to consider disabling autoplay of videos on any app that has that option to preserve your data.

What kind of device do you have? I can provide instructions on how to check your data usage on a per app basis so you can better understand where the data usage is coming from.

However, if you are certain that you're not using any data because you're always on WiFi, there may be an issue with your WiFi connection dropping and your phone is automatically switching to using data to maintain a connection. We can troubleshoot your Rogers Internet connection in situations such as that.

Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation