cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Setup Yahoo Email through Gmail App

Ryan0000
I've been here awhile

Gmail Roger Yahoo setup Oreo Pixel 2 Fail 

I cannot setup a Rogers Yahoo account through the Gmail App on my Android Oreo. As soon as I get to the Agree Screen and click the Agree button I get the following:

404. That’s an error.

The requested URL /?code=XXXXX was not found on this server. That’s all we know.

28 REPLIES 28

Re: Cannot Setup Yahoo Email through Gmail App

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi @Ryan0000

Have you tried connecting your Rogers Yahoo acct. through the Yahoo Email App?

RogersDarrell

Ryan0000
I've been here awhile

Yes. I have tried every combination of setup possible that I can think of.

The only way I can get it to partially work is by spoofing the credentials by altering the @rogers.com to @rogers.comm and entering IMAP details manually. It works ok until I try send through the smtp. At this point it fails due to the incorrect login ".comm". For some reason the send function in the Gmail app uses the account header name, which cannot be changed. It won't accept the supplied account name. Odd. It appears that the issue is related to the way the Gmail app tries to communicate with the Yahoo system. Skipping around to different site, Rogers, Yahoo etc, attempting to verify different levels.

The process works fine on my older Nexus.
My wife bought the exact same Pixel 2 and the same problem occurs.

Ryan0000
I've been here awhile

@RogersDarrel

Any more suggestions?

rlebkowski
I've been here awhile

I am trying to setup my Rogers Yahoo e-mail account through Google mail on my BlackBerry KEYone running Android Nougat 7.11 and have the exact same problem.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Hello, 

@Ryan0000 - Have you tried Yahoo Mail app yet? I'm able to use Yahoo Mail app to check my @rogers.com emails.

@rlebkowski - Thank you for joining and posting your concern in the Community. Have you tried the BlackBerry Hub to set up the @rogers.com email? Alternately, you can also use Yahoo Mail app to check your @rogers.com emails. 

By default, all the mail apps will try to use the IMAP and it seems it's failing during the authentication process. If you must use Gmail app then you can go to add account/other/manual setup and use the Personal POP3 option to set up the account.  

Cheers,

RogersMoin

racecoach
I'm here a lot

Same problem here, trying to set it up on Samsung S7 on Android 7.0

SMTP worked, but who wants to use SMTP these days?

I'd like to use GMAIL, and access all my email from "max power save" mode. Hey Rogers - that means I'd like to check my rogers email account from GMAIL with IMAP. Why would authentication be failing?

Ryan0000
I've been here awhile

I have several email addresses and would like to use Gmail to access all of them. Very frustrating that I cannot do this. Please open a bug report for this issue.

rlebkowski
I've been here awhile

I have added Rogers Yahoo to the Hub and am aware that a Yahoo application is available, but that is not my question; I would like to know why I cannot add my Rogers Yahoo account to my Google mail application. It is like saying have you tried bicycling to work and did you know you can walk to work. I do, but I would like to know why my car won't start because I would prefer to drive.

Hello @racecoach, @Ryan0000, & @rlebkowski,

Thank you for your posts and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I can appreciate wanting to use the application of your choice for your Emails. As per Post 6 of this thread, you will need to use POP settings to use your @rogers.com email address on the Gmail App. We are currently investigating what is causing the authentication failure using IMAP and do not have an update at this time. Steps to setup using POP settings can be found here.

Regards,

RogersTony

Is there any timeline on when this might be resolved? Using POP on a mobile device is not preferred. Any updates on this?

This is affecting a bunch of people. Any new updates on this. It seems the link to Gmail incomplete. Not sure if this is a Rogers issue or gmail issue.

I'm having the same issue for the past couple of weeks. Any fix or any workaround on getting this to work?

I have a Pixel XL

Jdurling
I've been around

I am having the same problem. Used to work fine. However, after I changed my password it failed. So I removed the account and can't add it again in the Gmail app as it consistently redirects to a 404 error page. Very frustrating as I have to check this account via the Yahoo mail website.... please help!

Zak707
I've been here awhile

Well, based on recent Rogers comment to separate themselves from Yahoo/Oath changes of policy and pointing out to the fact that their email is 'free' by alluding it is no longer including as part of your Rogers internet. They say use something else if unhappy.Ya ridiculous, but also means don't expect much support effort on this.

Anyhow, here's a work-around: Gmail:

01 > Add Account

02 > Select Other

03 > Enter your email enter something a bit bogus but easy to correct i.e: myname@rogerss.com (notice 2 S). Hit NEXT. [Keep that in mind we will correct this along the way]

04 > Select Personal (IMAP)

05 > Password: Do enter your correct @rogers.com email password.

06 > You be presented with a page containing username/password/server. Correct your username entered in 03 to the right one. Double check your password. (use eye icon if needed, be mindful if doing it). Server: imap.broadband.rogers.com or imap.nl.rogers.com (mine worked with the broadband one). Hit NEXT. [Gmail test info for a few seconds]

07> New page for outoing server settings. Correct username again if needed. Check password in case. SMTP Server enter: smtp.broadband.rogers.com or smtp.nl.rogers.com. Hit NEXT. [Gmail test info again for a few seconds].

08> Account options is presented. Choose your preferences. Hit NEXT. [Gmail create account for a few seconds.]

09> You now have the screen to name your account and enter your name for sent messages. Hit NEXT.

10> ALL Set.

Enjoy.

Zak

@Zak707 Thank you! That worked for me. Much appreciated. Now, if I could just figure out how to make my Rogers account the primary when I open the G-Mail app 🙂

Mark1269
I've been here awhile

So that worked and showed all my folders. I changed my username each time to my correct email address but Gmail app still shows wrong email address. Also when I try to send an email wrong address shown. Did it 3 times to make sure and same thing. This is stupid that Rogers and yahoo can't get this working. The yahoo app sucks and using Gmail is so convenient.

Zak707
I've been here awhile

That's is just the name, or alias, for the account it has no impact on receiving your message. You could adjust that in step #8 if I recall. Otherwise do not redo the whole thing, you should be able to go into manage account and select something different for 'account name'. But even so, it is possible Gmail will refer of the account as such but again no impact on sending/receiving etc. If it uses that for signature, setup a new one in the manager account. The account name is just a reference for the system, and you, to differentiate which account is which when you have multiple. As long as your incoming and outgoing email settings are fine, then email will flow.

Mark1269
I've been here awhile

I changed the name to my correct email address everytime according to the steps. After the option to select frequency of checking for mail the setup wizard closes. Then when I open the Gmail app all of my emails are there but shows incorrect name of account. So I went to compose email and the wrong email address shows up and I can not change it. When I said I tried it a few times I meant removing the account and then trying again. I tried the POP3 way and it worked except none of my folders showed up and looked a bit different. Double checked the incoming and outgoing settings and they are correct. Seems like incoming is working fine, but outgoing is not. So annoying that a simple thing is not working. And who's issue is it? Rogers? Yahoo/Oath? Gmail?

Zak707
I've been here awhile

The issue is with Rogers\Yahoo not returning a proper authorization link when the Gmail application request it. Hence why if you use the standard yahoo setup wizard in gmail it fail with a webpage error or a link that return a not valid error. When gmail request setting and access they should be returning with the proper info for Gmail to be setup automatically. Rogers\yahoo either don't know how to fix or do not care. Everyone that has their gmail already setup would not see this, typically this happen after resetting a phone/tablet or upgrading to a new version of the OS with a data wipe.

dr132
I've been around

wondering when this will be resolved?  tried to contact online support, they have no clue even that the problem exists, never mind the resolution.  very frustrating, started considering migrating away from @rogers.com

Topic Stats