cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales Rep LIED TO ME and Locked me in 24 month contract

Jishan
I plan to stick around

A local sales agent my the name of Saad Hadith LIED to me and locked me in a 24 month contract. I told him i dont do contracts and he sold it as a "oh its a promotion not a contract". I trusted him and didn't check the fine print, my mistake. Now I am being told i have to pay 500+ tax to cancel my contract. What kind of snake oil salesman technique is this? This is just horrible. 

*Added Labels*

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Sales Rep LIED TO ME and Locked me in 24 month contract

RogersMoin

Hello, @Jishan.

Thank you for joining our Community and sharing your experience with a local sales representative. I understand how frustrating it must be to feel misled into a contract you did not intend to sign. We strive to ensure all our customers are fully informed about the terms and conditions of any agreement. 

It appears there may have been a miscommunication regarding the contract terms. We would like to investigate the matter to determine what happened. Please send @CommunityHelps a private message. We detailed more info about our private messaging in this blog

Regards,

RogersMoin

LordDrakkon
I'm an advisor
Has it been more than 14 days since you agreed to this promotion? If not. There is always the buyers remorse way out. Otherwise, cancelling the promotion would pretty much change everything. It might be cheaper to pay the $500 than the full cost of any new device you got with your promotion.

Jishan
I plan to stick around

No it has been more than 14 days. My main point is WHY DID HE NOT TELL ME that I am signing a 2 year contract! I am not stupid, i understand contracts. I deal with contracts in my day to day job!!! He used lying tactics to tell me "its just an order confirmation signature", i trusted him and did not read the fine print, my mistake! He was being kind and even telling me how he is an immigrant and taking my advice as I am one too and thats what actually annoys me even more! He locked me in for a door bell camera too which cannot even be used in my apartment but I am paying for it!!!!!!!!!!!! He sold it as a "promotional item" like its free. I was with Bell before and they had disclosed about a contract and I had told them I dont do contracts and they left it open and flexible thats why I was able to change easily. This is really unfair and its going very very low to just get a sale. 

Its not even a matter of money any more, its principal. He managed to dupe me, he can do this to seniors around the building really really easily!!!! I am taking this to consumer reports on CP24 and ask them for help because this is plain out lying!!!

Jishan
I plan to stick around

I have private messaged community help as well giving more details, I am really upset the more I think of it. This is just not fair, its not right to take advantage of people. I gave him the time of day because everyone else was shutting the door on him, I was kind to him and he screwed me instead.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello Jishan,

Are you aware cellphone companies record the calls for quality assurance?  You can call and speak to a manager/supervisor, give them the approx details of when you spoke to that agent, and have the manager listen to the recording of the call.  If the Agent indeed deceived you or mislead you on that call and the manager can confirm it, that should be against company policies and the agent can not only be disciplined for this behaviour, but you should be able to get your cancellation fee waived due to this deceiving mistake too.

Jishan
I plan to stick around

It was a not a phone conversation. It was a door to door sales rep. I called customer support and told them on the phone about this. The best they could do was give me a ticket number thats it, they say I have to pay the cancellation fee if I want to cancel or move the contract to a friend or family. 

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm sorry to hear this happened to you

What kind of service did you sign up for? was it a residential service or a mobile phone plan?

if your locked in perhaps you can keep the plan and call loyalty /retention department and negotiate a better rate and continue using the plan for the duration of the contract, at least you can try to negotiate a reasonable plan and continue to use it if its something you need 

Jishan
I plan to stick around

I went ahead and reduced the internet to the cheapest option, and I also removed any TV packages there. I had told this sales rep even that the only TV I need is CP24 as everything else I stream on streaming apps like netflix, even that I had not gotten lol. I feel so stupid and dumb that I am just laughing at myself now. 

Even my cancellation is so high because of that doorbell camera. I had to cancel that too an thats why its going to 500+ and not the maximum of 480 stipulated on the contract for internet. What a joke of a person that sales rep is. 

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well I am sorry again that you had to go thru this. Thankfully you got the cheapest option. You should still put a complaint in about the door to door sales rep and have them disciplined for their misleading tactics otherwise they will continue to get away with it 

Jishan
I plan to stick around

I took Bell thats giving me a cheaper option with everything I needed. Now I have two internets at my home lol. Atleast with Bell, its not a contract and they were so transparent from the get go. 

Yeah I am going to call again and I will try make a formal complaint, they really cant help honestly. I am planning to take this to Pat Foran on CP24 on consumer alert. Thats the only thing that can help me it seems now cause Rogers have basically put their hands up. 

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

tru, but worst case if u do not get anywhere, then cancel the bell internet and keep rogers for the duration of the contract, that will save you from having to pay 2 monthly internet providers 

Jishan
I plan to stick around

Worst case, I will pay the 500+ cancellation (which most likely will be the case). Its not even a money issue, I have the means to pay for it by Gods Grace and blessing. Its people like this take advantage of the system and others kindness is what is bothering me. Rogers should listen to people like me and understand that their sales reps should not be liars like this, it makes Rogers look bad. I will tell every living soul never to never go with Rogers, because of ONE person. I will take this to news channels and if they accept the story, it will damage Rogers rep due to ONE person. Its just not right doing these kind of tactics.  

In your case, I’d review the contract to see if it was Rogers directly that sold this or some 3rd party that sells Rogers services. Either way, I’d cancel asap and let them chase you for the cancellation fees. You have more leverage when they want your money and anything you give them now will be impossible to get back. They will threaten you with collections and all that bs but just keep stating that you’re disputing the charges. Then go public and make as big of a stink about it as you can and mention whoever the 3rd party was and if it was Rogers, then keep yelling until they make it right.

I love how one of the suggestions here was to keep the Rogers service you got duped into buying lol. Because you’re definitely going to want to deal with a company for potentially years, who locked into something you didn’t want. They’ll discipline the sales rep but won’t let you out of the service…just scummiest of business practices. They should be letting you out even if you weren’t duped and just didn’t want it anymore. Anyways, good luck and I hope you make some progress!

Jishan
I plan to stick around

One of the best responses I have read. Thank you

Another option you can try is to going through the CCTS and try and fill out the forms with your experience in the appropriate category. I’m in the process of dealing with my own issues that way and it may at least result in you coming to a resolution you can live with. Let me know if you need links and good luck!
Topic Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 in conversation