cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inbound calls while in Greece

1228685vx
I've been here awhile

Hi. I'm in Greece now and my phone has mobile data off and airplane mode on but I'm still receiving calls from Canada. I inadvertently answered one but quickly hanged up so not to incur any charge. Don't want any calls
What do I do?

***Edited Labels***

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Inbound calls while in Greece

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here is a link to a post on how to eliminate or minimize roaming charges.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Account-Support/Roaming-like-home/m-p/518044/highlight/true#M3...

"hanging up quickly" will not do the trick.  As soon as your phone connects to a foreign cell tower you will be charged for roaming (assuming you have roam like home enabled).  And that goes for every day you're there.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If Airplane mode is turned on and your still receiving a call that means something is not right here, something is not adding up.  This could be a phone defect, Airplane mode means Nothing is connected, not even the network. Receiving a call means your connected, so its like if a light switch is in the OFF position but there is still light going to the light bulb? that means somethings not right here, there is some kind of glitch with your device.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It's easy to check if Airplane Mode is on because there will usually be an "airplane" symbol at the top of the phone screen.  If Airplane Mode is not on, and you see the name of a local service provider at the top of the screen then you are connected to that provider's network.  I suppose it's possible that airplane mode could be on and if you're connected to WiFi, you may be able to receive a call if you have a WiFi calling feature...

1228685vx
I've been here awhile
Hi. Thanks for answering. Your analogy makes sense but can't figure out why it's happening. As you mentioned, must be a glitch.

1228685vx
I've been here awhile
Hi.
Thanks for your response. Airplane mode is definitely on and no name of service provider at the top. Don't know of any wifi calling feature so .....guess I just won't answer.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@1228685vx : A cell phone is not like a home phone. Answering a call does not "trigger" "Roam like Home" charges. It is being connected to a foreign service provider that does it, as mentioned in the link in post 2.  Usually when you get connected to a foreign provider, you will get a text from Rogers stating that you are roaming and that there may be charges, depending on your plan.  Check your texts for that.

I'm not sure if you have a way to check to see if you are attracting roaming charges (MyRogers?) while you're away...

PS. If you're on a Pre-paid plan (or don't have Roam Like Home), then yes, answering or making a call will trigger a "pay per use" charge, but only if you're connected to a foreign provider network.  For example, Greece is $2 for Post-paid and $2.50 for Pre-paid minutes.

https://www.rogers.com/mobility/roaming

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I do not believe WiFi Calling works on Prepaid (formerly but no longer called Pay As You Go and Pay Go)

Some phones have special network assist settings or near by scanning enabled which may end up turning on a network connection even if you have it turned off or are in air plane mode. This is happened to many people, you must go thru your phones settings and find these and disable them. you may not even be aware they are enabled on by default.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just to be clear, if Roam like Home is disabled on a Post-paid plan (usually needs to be done before you leave), it is possible to encounter "pay per use" charges, as indicated in the link in my previous post.  This is (obviously) always the case with Pre-paid (PAYGo) plans, which is what I have.

I'm not familiar enough with WiFi calling to comment further on that topic.  Apps Like WhatsApp, can, and are, used a lot worldwide on WiFi (and data plans) and WhatsApp can trigger roaming charges when connected to a network instead of WiFi, which has happened to many people.

Sal00
I plan to stick around

You don't need Airplane Mode ON. That is a very old tactic. That makes you totally unreachable. ALL incoming calls , text and voicemail is free. Just do not answer anything and leave data roaming off you will be fine. Since all incoming is free you are in control when you want to use Roam Like Home. If you have an iPhone you can utilize the incoming text message and answer on iMessage or WhatsApp if you have an Android OR just use the daily fee for convivence. 

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 in conversation