cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to avoid data overage charges or rollover data like on Shaw's $0 By The Gig?

scaredof
I've been here awhile

When I was on Shaw's $0 by the gig, if I used up my data (which didn't expire for 90 days), I could just wait until I wanted to top up more data. Therefore no $10 overage fees plus the data rolled over month to month.

I believe we were promised an equivalent thing on Rogers, but they put me on the Rogers Basic plan which only has 1GB per month and it doesn't seem to rollover to the next month. If you use up 1GB in a month, they charge you $10. 

On top of that, there doesn't seem to be any way to send actual data usage alerts from Rogers or prevent me from these new overage charges.

Any recommendations on a better plan for pay-as-you go data? I know I can set up my phone to track when I'm getting close to that 1GB limit but it isn't always accurate.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is there a way to avoid data overage charges or rollover data like on Shaw's $0 By The Gig?

scaredof
I've been here awhile

So yah, replies saying don't use data or buy a plan are not super helpful. It is pretty clear to me now that there is no equivalent plan to the $0 with pay-as-you go data add-ons that Shaw had. I do appreciate that Rogers is giving us 1GB of free data per month, but I still think it is horrible that they are allowed to automatically charge data overage fees or overseas roaming fees with no ability to prevent this (unless you buy an expensive plan).

With Shaw, you just ran out of data and added more if you wanted. With Rogers, you are automatically billed for using more data. Same thing with overseas roaming -- wish Shaw, you couldn't roam unless you purchased a roaming add-on. But with Rogers they just bill you crazy amounts if you don't take out your Rogers SIM when you go overseas. Crazy. I miss you Mr. Shaw! (although I do grudgingly like 1GB of free data and free roaming in US and Mexico so thank you for that so far, Rogers)

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Is there a way to avoid data overage charges or rollover data like on Shaw's $0 By The Gig?

RogersYasmine

Hey @scaredofr0gers ,

Thanks again, for posting some of your concerns in the community! We'll do our best to shed some light for ya! 🙂

You are correct in saying that if you are on the 1GB Shaw to Rogers mobile plan, any unused data does not roll over into the next usage period. Once your new usage period begins, your data is simply reset at 1GB. If you go over your data bucket during your usage period, there will be data overage charges applied.

If you are noticing that you are using more than the 1GB of data per month, or very close to going over, may I recommend moving over to one of our Rogers Infinite price plans? With Rogers Infinite plans, you'll get unlimited data. They have a set amount of high-speed data. If you use all of your plan’s data allotment, you can use unlimited data at reduced speed (up to 512kbps). You’ll never have to worry about running out of data or getting overage charges on your bill. You can check out the available options here

If it's prepaid plans you are interested in, you can view our available options here

Kind regards,

RogersYasmine

scaredof
I've been here awhile

Thanks for the reply, that answers my question about no rollover data and reveals that Rogers doesn't have the same plans as Shaw despite the assertions that the bills won't change.

But that didn't answer my question about overage charges. Is there not a way to avoid overage charges? 1GB per month is plenty for me and on Shaw once it was used up you didn't get charged. We were promised equivalent plans on Rogers, but this isn't the case because now I have to worry about predatory overage (and International roaming!) charges. So my question again is is there a way to avoid overage charges (other than worrying about my data charges). The android app doesn't even seem to send data usage alerts and the usage is 12 hours out of date, which is pretty poor design compared to almost any esim provider in the world.

riga
I've been around

Got my first bill in today and had $50 in overage fees, because my child who was given a $0 and 0 data phone from shaw 2 years ago now uses the 1gb of data offered. 

Rogers is "giving" 1 gb of data to people who moved over, unlocking data with no blocks in place, so people who are used to a $0 now are ending up with charges and no way to block it aside from a few settings in a phone. 

Rogers says that they can upgrade me to a shared data plan to manage my data, however it will no longer be $0. After speaking with the agent for a long time there is no way they can disable the data at 1gb. However they can completely disable data, so 0 data, but SMS and MMS still work. 

This is a true move over plan, allowing for worry free overage charges by children. I had it blocked on 5 of my 6 lines. Leaving the unblocked line for myself, as it is on a higher data plan to begin with. 

Puffle
I'm here a lot

I have the "cellular data" turned off on my son's iPhone. He didn't have data before, and we can just ignore the 1GB they are offering since he won't miss something he's never had. 

scaredof
I've been here awhile

So yah, replies saying don't use data or buy a plan are not super helpful. It is pretty clear to me now that there is no equivalent plan to the $0 with pay-as-you go data add-ons that Shaw had. I do appreciate that Rogers is giving us 1GB of free data per month, but I still think it is horrible that they are allowed to automatically charge data overage fees or overseas roaming fees with no ability to prevent this (unless you buy an expensive plan).

With Shaw, you just ran out of data and added more if you wanted. With Rogers, you are automatically billed for using more data. Same thing with overseas roaming -- wish Shaw, you couldn't roam unless you purchased a roaming add-on. But with Rogers they just bill you crazy amounts if you don't take out your Rogers SIM when you go overseas. Crazy. I miss you Mr. Shaw! (although I do grudgingly like 1GB of free data and free roaming in US and Mexico so thank you for that so far, Rogers)

thank the government for decreasing competition while trying to tell you it'll be better.  They're dumb as sticks so they probably believed Rogers/Shaw when they told them it wouldn't hurt consumers.

We had our three lines combined with our Shaw TV and were getting great deal at $25/mo for ours and $0 for our daughters - we'd just buy 3 gig for $30 for 3 months and it worked out great, no overages ever, just bought more if/when we needed it.  Rogers did do the two lines at $25 (guaranteed for 3 years, then who knows, and

the billing is a huge confusing mess) and did the 1GB month for $0 but now have overage charges.  We could buy extra data from Rogers at way too high a price, think we'll just move her phone to Freedom, much better pricing.

My Shaw plan would not permit data overages. When I hit 1 gB, no more data for the month. How can I regain this featureÉ

Hello @sillychris!

We recommend using the MyRogers app to monitor your data usage to avoid overages. You can setup alerts to warn you before you go over.

Please follow this link for more information: Manage your family's data worry-free - Rogers

Regards,

RogersCorey

It appears you cannot set up custom alerts unless you are on a shared plan, which my son is not. So there is no way to get automatically alerted. (It may happen when 90% is used, but I'm not going to risk it.)  And I'm not going to check the usage every hour of every day. So again, Rogers is not meeting the needs of the customer.  

The simple thing is to just stop the data usage when 1GB is used. And the fact this doesn't happen indicates to me that Rogers must make a significant amount of money by allow people to go over the 1GB of data.

MF49
I've been here awhile

You nailed it gord3768!  Since the change, my home internet speed has plummeted from ~ 300 Mbps to 60 Mbps (even though it is "1GB" before and after the change).  My kids each had a phone with no charges for 2 years, and now, first month in...$50 "overage" charge.  On top of that, their phones drop calls all the time now.  So paying way more for way less...thank you government...and no thank you Rogers!  Time to find a new provider!

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Get a Rogers infinite plan, they have unlimited internet, but it slows down speed once you go over your limit.  everyone has these plans.

Puffle
I'm here a lot

Really @Pauly? On Shaw it was $0.  The infinity plans I see start around $65 and go up from there. So for a Shaw customer that was paying $0 a year, your suggestion is to pay over $700 a year to avoid paying extra bandwidth charges. That makes no sense and doesn't address the initial complaint.

Or Rogers could do one of two things: Just like the infinity plan does, and once you go over the 1GB limit it just slows it down. Or it could cut you off.  But Rogers is CHOOSING not to.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Puffle, I do not know what Shaw mobile plans cost as they were never available in my area, but Rogers has had infinite plans for several years now in Ontario, and this is the going rate for all other companies too, not just Rogers ,and for years now we have been able to use our cellular phones without incurring any overage charges.

I was just merely suggesting such plan would prevent overage, I had no idea what you were paying for and what your plan was on shaw, in this case just speak to customer service and see if a compatible plan exists for you that is similar to an ignite plan.  

MF49
I've been here awhile

Ok everyone, I've been doing some research and here is condition number 5 of the merger as specified by the government:

In addition, Rogers agrees to honour the Shaw Mobile Pricing Commitment by offering wireless plans to Shaw Mobile customers as at the Closing Date with the same terms and conditions (including eligibility) as the current Shaw Mobile plans for five years following the Closing Date.   Rogers also agrees to include the Shaw Mobile Pricing Commitment in its terms of service with all Shaw Mobile customers as at the Closing Date.

So, if you are getting new cell phone charges like I am, time to let Rogers know they are not offering the same terms and conditions with which they are obligated and follow that up with a letter to the minister.  Here is a link to the exact conditions released by the government.

Undertakings of Rogers Communications Inc. related to its public commitments and agreement with His ...

JLaidlaw
I plan to stick around
I totally agree that allowing overages is not customer friendly. I received usage warnings of 75, 90 and 100% that came all within the same minute and I now I have overages even though I shut off data as soon as I physically could (within seconds). Charging me for overage fees leaves a bad taste, yet I was happy to add on a bit of data with Shaw when I ran out. Rogers could definitely do better for their clients with this. I can imagine how parents must feel if their kids accidentally leave data on and end up with exorbitant overages. Client care should matter and there should be consideration to those on limited budgets.
Topic Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 22 Likes
  • 10 in conversation