cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam call or Legit?

Dryrot
I've been here awhile
Keep getting calls from this # (888) 993-9375. Is this a legitimate Rogers phone #?
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Scam call or Legit?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Dryrot :  As has been discussed here and on the web many times, any phone number (and Caller ID) can be spoofed, so the number (and name) itself is meaningless.  Check out the Knowledge Base on how to avoid and check on scammers.  There are three different posts in the link below dealing with the various ways scammers can contact you.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud/tkb-p/ScamFraudNotifications@tkb

stiff
I plan to stick around

Very disappointed at this answer.
YES email and phone can be spoofed.
But ROGERS DOES employ call centers, as well as door to door salespeople.
These call center and door to door sales are not provided with subscriber information, and 50% of the time target Current ROGERS subscribers.
Instead of telling people how scammers can possibly contact people, perhaps look at your own practices before issuing cookie cutter responses blaming the person raising the concern!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@stiff : Please advise how you would respond if someone gives you nothing but a phone number, as was done in the first post of this thread.

My link to the Knowledge Base does provide information on what to do with callers.  Direct link below:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud/How-to-Avoid-Caller-ID-Spoofing-and-Spam-C...

stiff
I plan to stick around

Are you serious? How I WOULD respond? 
I have been dealing with these calls and door to door sales for years. Trust me, I know what is what.
Would you like me to provide quotes from rogers officials acknowledging their use of call centers and random door to door sales. You should know better...

I am ending my involvement in this thread. I am also very disappointed in your response
Regards  

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You know, I'm equally disappointed ..... in your response to @57.  Simply put, @57 was trying, very politely I might add, to keep your bank accounts and credit rating intact.  

Despite your statement that "I have been dealing with these calls and door to door sales for years. Trust me, I know what is what.", the real truth is that Rogers suffered a security breach last year, where Rogers indicated that only corporate accounts and company employee accounts were affected.  Rogers issued what I think was a single statement regarding the security breach and hasn't released any other communication in its regard. 

Fast forward to today, where every day, scammers call Rogers customers, sometimes multiple times a day to entice the customers with deals which are simply too good to be true.  It would seem that more than just corporate and employee account data was grabbed in the breach.  If it was only corporate and employee accounts that were affected, that would show up in the posts, but it doesn't.  So, either the breach was more widespread than Rogers is willing to admit, or, Rogers has an ongoing security breach which it isn't admitting to.  Take your pick. The situation is so bad these days that you simply can't trust a phone call from a supposed "Rogers agent" ..... personal opinion.  Some customers have indicated that the scammers have said that they have access to the customer's account and can do whatever they want to, with or without the customers agreement.  If that's really the case, then Rogers customers are fully exposed to whomever bought the breach data or Rogers has an ongoing security breach. 

If Rogers does make you an offer, out of the blue, you will normally see that in your online account data, where you can accept the offer that is made to you.  Rogers doesn't have to make any phone calls to extend offers to its clients.  

Everyone is looking for a deal these days, and as a result, a good many number of customers have fallen for the scammers offer.  They end up having to spend an untold number of hours or days, attempting to contact Rogers Fraud staff to deal with, finally dealing with the Rogers Fraud staff as well as dealing with the credit reporting agencies in an attempt to preserve their credit rating.

All you have to do is backtrack thru the forum postings to see the number of customers who are called by the scammers and who among them fall for the scammers offers.  

You're looking for an official answer about the phone number in question.  You won't see one for at least two to three days.  In the mean time, @57 has responded to your query, as he usually does in these cases in order to warn you off of the calls and disregard any offer that might be made.  As the saying goes, if the offer sounds too good to be true, that's usually the case.  

So, your choice is to pay attention to @57's well placed and well meaning advice, or, go ahead and provide your personal ID and Rogers account details to a group of scammers.  You might be disappointed in @57's response, but it comes after seeing a good many posts where customers have either been scammed or are potentially on the way there, but, hey, its your choice and your money.  Spend it as you see fit.  

stiff
I plan to stick around

Your response is just wrong as is your information. And reflecting on a corporation such as ROGERS is sad.
Take care,

Dryrot
I've been here awhile

Not rocket science, is that a number that Rogers has when it reaches out to people. I very well understand how scammers do their work. Spoofing, etc. I not looking for anything other than acknowledging if a specific number is a Rogers number. I’m more than capable of dealing with these lowlife degenerates.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I do not understand what difference it makes if the phone number is one that Rogers uses. This is because scammers or telemarketers can spoof any number.

Is it not appropriate to treat all unsolicited calls with equal skepticism?  I never answer unsolicited calls and only answer if the number is in my phone's directory.  I programme in a distinctive ring for those on my home phone and don't answer if I don't hear the correct ring.  Telemarketers and scammers rarely leave a message.  Telemarketers only have their own interest at heart, obviously so do scammers.

As an example, the number 1-866-346-3430, is a real Rogers number, however, if you do a web search for that number, it comes back inconclusive with some results indicating a scam and some indicating it is a Rogers number.  Here's an example result showing that Yellow Pages thinks it is a scammer over 80% of the time despite it being a Rogers number.

https://www.yellowpages.ca/fs/1-866-346-3430/

A web search of the original number in this thread (888-993-9375) seems to lean towards a scammer or telemarketer. One of the search results is the following FAQ from Rogers:

https://www.rogers.com/support/billing-accounts/how-to-spot-a-telemarketing-scam

"There ain't no Coupe de Ville hiding at the bottom of a Cracker Jack Box". (ML)

Dryrot
I've been here awhile

I appreciate what you’re trying to do but I asked a very simple question. Is it a legit number or not? I don’t need a lesson in remaining vigilant. I don’t know why you insist on making this a more convoluted issue than it is. But if you’re not a Rogers employee or can vouch for the authenticity of the number (spoofing aside), you’re muddying my waters. I don’t care about the other stuff. I just want to know if that number, spoofing or not, is a Rogers number. That’s it.  Call it morbid curiosity. 

@Dryrot @stiff here is an example, posted today, of what @57 was warning about.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud-Discussions/Is-this-Realy-Rogers-number-or...

If you read thru that post, and the one preceding it, you will see that the scammer spoofed a legitimate Rogers phone number, confirmed by one of the moderators in the preceding post.  End result, the scammer ordered an Iphone 15 on that account.  The next part of this scam is for the scammer to call back, indicating that a mistake had been made, at which time he or she sends a return courier address to return the phone.  It will turn out that the address is scammers pickup address, not the real Rogers address to return the phone.  Or, the scammer might actually show up at the customers door, demanding immediate return of the phone, into the scammers hands of course.  That has happened.  The customer ends up with the cell phone billed to the account, after which he has to contact the Fraud Dept to sort this all out, which might take days or weeks to accomplish.  

End of story, even if the phone number in question is real, it can easily be spoofed and customers duped into providing their identity information followed by accepting a fraudulent contract or potentially ending up with high priced cell phones billed to their account.  

This has been going on for months.  Unless there is some long winded investigation going on, I don't get why Rogers doesn't immediately blacklist those phones and make it publicly known the cell phones in question have been blacklisted, after which their worthless, except for their parts.  That should provoke an immediate reaction on some social media site somewhere, complaining about new cell phones that have been purchased, which fail to register and run on any ISP, or possibly run for a few days and then fail, as Rogers blacklisting takes effect.  There have been enough cell phones acquired by the scammers, that immediate blacklisting should make waves on some social media site somewhere.

@Dryrot since there hasn't been any official response to your query about the phone number, I suggest that you contact the moderators to either confirm or deny that the phone number in question belongs to Rogers.  

@CommunityHelps is the group address for the moderators here on the Rogers Forum. When you're logged into the forum, follow this link to the @CommunityHelps. On that page will be a link on the right hand side to Send a Message. Follow that link to the message composition page. The address will fill in automatically. Fill in the subject and details, including your account number and when the message is complete, hit Send Message at the bottom.

When you're logged into the forum, look for a number overlaying the envelope symbol at the upper right hand corner. That will indicate that there's an inbound message for you. Follow that envelope symbol as it serves as a link to the message inbox and outbox. From the response in the inbox you can then message back and forth as required. There will be an authentication procedure that you will have to complete in order to service any change requests for your account.

To send anyone else on the forum a message, including @CommunityHelps , hover your mouse over their user name and a popup will appear with a link to send a Private Message. Follow that Private Message link to the message composition page and as before the message addressee will fill in automatically. Fill in the subject and details and hit Send Message when you're ready to send the message.

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 4 in conversation