cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam & Phishing Emails Demanding Bitcoin

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey Community, I'd like to share with you a new scam/phishing attempt out there. Canadians may report receiving threatening emails demanding bitcoin. 

If you receive a email like the described above, please do the following:

1. This is a scam and should be disregarded.
  2. Update the passwords of all your email accounts.
  3. Perform full scans on your devices with any anti-malware software or tools you may have.

See more details of the scam here.

RogersDarrell

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Scam & Phishing Emails Demanding Bitcoin

Hello @AKMCG,

Receiving these types of fraudulent emails can be pretty annoying and can clog up your inbox. It sounds like you've taken all of the available measures to help redirect these types of emails to your junk/spam folder which is great. At least you don't have to see them! 

Aside from that, I would also recommend reporting any suspicious emails by taking a screen shot of the email and sending it to abuse@rogers.com titled ‘Suspicious Email Received'. **Please do not forward the original email, just take the screen shot (header included) and paste it into the body of a new email before sending it.**

You can also report the incident to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre: 

Online: http://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/reportincident-signalerincident/index-eng.htm 
By phone: 1-888-495-8501

Just a reminder to never:
>Share personal information
>Click on any links or open any attachments if they are suspicious

Feel free to click HERE for more information on how to identify and protect yourself against fraud attempts (Phishing, Vishing, Smishing).

I really hope this helps! 🙂

RogersLaura

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

AKMCG
I've been around

I get these daily . They do get filtered to junk/ spam and I’ve tried to set up rules to have them go straight to trash but they are still getting through. What else ( besides changing my email address) can be done to filter these  

Hello @AKMCG,

Receiving these types of fraudulent emails can be pretty annoying and can clog up your inbox. It sounds like you've taken all of the available measures to help redirect these types of emails to your junk/spam folder which is great. At least you don't have to see them! 

Aside from that, I would also recommend reporting any suspicious emails by taking a screen shot of the email and sending it to abuse@rogers.com titled ‘Suspicious Email Received'. **Please do not forward the original email, just take the screen shot (header included) and paste it into the body of a new email before sending it.**

You can also report the incident to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre: 

Online: http://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/reportincident-signalerincident/index-eng.htm 
By phone: 1-888-495-8501

Just a reminder to never:
>Share personal information
>Click on any links or open any attachments if they are suspicious

Feel free to click HERE for more information on how to identify and protect yourself against fraud attempts (Phishing, Vishing, Smishing).

I really hope this helps! 🙂

RogersLaura

meveritt637
I've been here awhile

I'm getting emails like is , and every time I block the sender's address, it comes back from the same sender but with a slightly different email address. Seems like blocking the sender's address doesn't work.

Hi @meveritt637,

I've gotten similar emails in the past and they can be a real nuisance. 😒

Regretfully, we have no way to stop these third parties from sending emails or changing their email handles, but you can try and set filters via your inbox settings to help weed them out as best as possible. You should be able to filter by things such as keyword, name, etc. 

As per my email above, you may also want to report the emails to abuse@rogers.com (see my instructions) and/or to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre using any of the methods provided. 

I hope this helps! 😄

RogersLaura

DBA28
I've been here awhile

I'd been receiving these daily for about a month and a half, blocking the address each time. They were still coming through to my spam folder though. Then they stopped. But today I found one coming from my own email address. I tried blocking it but it literally said I can't block my own email.....what now?? How can they send email from my own account???

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DBA28 wrote:

I'd been receiving these daily for about a month and a half, blocking the address each time. They were still coming through to my spam folder though. Then they stopped. But today I found one coming from my own email address. I tried blocking it but it literally said I can't block my own email.....what now?? How can they send email from my own account???

Don't worry, they did not hack your email address and they are not sending "from" your email account. What they have done is "Spoofed" their outgoing email address and name to appear its coming from you, but in fact it's coming from a different mail server somewhere else in the world, they probably are pretty smart scammers and know that some email clients can not block their own email address so they probably did this as a way around you from blocking spam. 

Good on you for not falling for it though, you would be surprised how many people fall for these scams.

Another note to consider, they probably used fake addresses to spam you previously so all your really doing is bloating your blocked email list with email addresses that probably do not exist. Spammers are smart, they will never use a legit email to spam you or send a phishing email. they will disguise it, but by blocking it, you do not solve any problem since they simply send another one to you from a completely different address, so this is why I believe the block function is useless.  I once got a spam from my mother's email address, yeah I really do not want to block my mother's email in case she needs to send an important email to me, so think about that for a sec.

DBA28
I've been here awhile

Thanks. I hate the internet.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DBA28 wrote:

... I found one coming from my own email address. I tried blocking it but it literally said I can't block my own email...

I usually do my e-mail via the Outlook client and it does allow you to write a rule regarding your own e-mail address. Perhaps Webmail will allow you to "filter" incoming e-mail in the same way.  I know because I've been doing this in Outlook for years to send spam to my "junk" folder in Outlook. 

I have also found Webmail to be extremely effective at detecting Spam - sending only spam to the spam folder and letting through legitimate e-mails.  Good luck in getting this sorted.  Several years ago I used to have to deal with 10+ spam messages a day. These days I rarely have to deal with spam, only looking in the spam folder of Webmail once a week to ensure there's nothing legitimate in there.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 7 in conversation