cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPAM CALLS ARE A PUBLIC NUISANCE AND ROGERS MUST HELP PUT AN END TO THIS MENACE

sam82
I'm here a lot

Spam calls feed a $multi-billion$ industry worldwide for underground criminal activity.

Despite my efforts to add spam calls to my ever growing list and also using call screening services such as Google Assistant, these calls keep coming in because the spammers have figured out how to generate random CALL ID numbers, however these numbers are NOT LISTED which means that regardless of how often I add them to my spam list, it will NOT even put a dent into calls coming in.

WHAT SHOULD ROGERS DO:

in order to greatly reduce and to possibly even END this nightmare for customers Rogers should monitor calls for ID generation and BAN calls with UNLISTED NUMBERS generated as their Call ID.

I realize that there will be some technical (possibly even legal) challenges in that strategy but coming from a technical background myself, it is ultimately doable and the ONLY way to put an end to randomly generated Call IDs that spammers use.
As a VERY LONG TERM Rogers customer, I am getting to a point that I am seriously considering moving my services to another provider.
SPAM CALLS ARE A PUBLIC NUISANCE and providers MUST do everything they possibly can in order to stop them.

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: SPAM CALLS ARE A PUBLIC NUISANCE AND ROGERS MUST HELP PUT AN END TO THIS MENACE

I understand that the technology exists for the providers to monitor and then block numbers that are unlisted (this is different than private numbers that simply don't show on caller ID).
However the providers to block unlisted caller ID numbers (numbers that look legitimate but they are not activated) , they have to monitor each call when it originates, however this would violate some privacy laws in that they are not allowed by law to monitor any calls without a court order
So the legality surrounding the fight against spam calls is what is in the way.
For now what people can do is to simply have their equipped smartphones to block any ID that is not listed within their personal contact list.
This however means that if a loved one tries to reach them from any other phone than their own listed phone number, they may get blocked. .
So no, without the full cooperation of the providers, there is no silver bullet to fight this extremely annoying and illegal activity., unfortunately because criminals are essentially using the providers technology to exercise thwir illegal activity. 

Its a conundrum.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Re: SPAM CALLS ARE A PUBLIC NUISANCE AND ROGERS MUST HELP PUT AN END TO THIS MENACE

RogersCorey

Greetings @sam82!

Thank you for your feedback. 

Banning unlisted numbers would compromise the privacy of people who have legitimate reasons for needing an unlisted number, which needs to be considered when making decisions such as this.

Fighting spam is an ever evolving battle with no silver bullet solution, it requires a multifaceted approach.

Our Spam Call Detect feature is one of the ways we're fighting against spam: FAQs about Spam Call Detect - Rogers

Regards,

RogersCorey

I understand that the technology exists for the providers to monitor and then block numbers that are unlisted (this is different than private numbers that simply don't show on caller ID).
However the providers to block unlisted caller ID numbers (numbers that look legitimate but they are not activated) , they have to monitor each call when it originates, however this would violate some privacy laws in that they are not allowed by law to monitor any calls without a court order
So the legality surrounding the fight against spam calls is what is in the way.
For now what people can do is to simply have their equipped smartphones to block any ID that is not listed within their personal contact list.
This however means that if a loved one tries to reach them from any other phone than their own listed phone number, they may get blocked. .
So no, without the full cooperation of the providers, there is no silver bullet to fight this extremely annoying and illegal activity., unfortunately because criminals are essentially using the providers technology to exercise thwir illegal activity. 

Its a conundrum.

Rogers spam call feature doesn’t work.
Telus’ spam feature does! It forces the user to dial a number to be connected. Rogers needs to do the same.
My spam problem has gotten so bad that it fills up my voicemail box and prevents people from leaving messages because my voicemail is always full.
I had 16 spam calls yesterday every single one leaves a message in mandarin!

What I finally did to fix this issue was to set do not disturb on and only allow numbers from my contact list to get through. All other calls get rejected so they can't leave voicemail unless they call with the same caller ID twice within 15 minutes.
Android Do not disturb feature is pretty good this way.
Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation