cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers PAYGo Customers Cannot Use Their Phones In The US After July 1.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I got a text recently indicating that my PAYGo phone will no longer work in the US as of July 1, not even for 911. Here's the information on the Rogers Website:

https://www.rogers.com/support/mobility/3g-shutdowns-pay-as-you-go

I have an iPhone SE (2020) which is perfectly capable of using LTE, so I'm assuming this is a Rogers decision. I'm assuming that Rogers is limiting the PrePaid (PAYGo) customers so they can't use their perfectly good phones in the US. (There is perhaps some agreement/reciprocity with the US providers involved)

Is this affecting other Canadian PAYGo (Pre-paid) service providers?  I plan to contact the CCTS regarding this development.

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/

23 REPLIES 23

Re: Rogers PAYGo Customers Cannot Use Their Phones In The US After July 1.

bmcewen
I've been here awhile

Actually, the FACT of the matter is that, regardless of what Rogers has said (and that was a long time ago), a prepaid Rogers phone DOES work in the US.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, it DOES... AND,,. it also DOESN'T work. There are different scenarios  And because of the different situations and scenarios, they can not say "it works but it doesn't" so they legally have to say it doesn't.

There may be some roaming agreements that have technically expired on paper, but the US carriers have maybe not gotten around to turning off the roaming yet.  We have no control of when things south of the border happen so why bother tracking it in real time.

You could always move to a Rogers postpaid plan or pick up a US provider prepaid SIM to use instead. The rates south of the border are so cheap, like Mint Mobile's $15 plans. It illustrates how much Canadian's are robbed by Canadian companies and why they pay the CRTC to keep competition away.
Topic Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 in conversation