cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Real Dilemma - Nokia Fastmile 5G and Teams on My Macbook

CanuckChick13
I've been here awhile

OK, bear with me, this is a long post. I'm hoping the hive mind will help figure this headscratcher out:

I have a macbook pro. I recently got a Nokia Fastmile 5G hub for my needs in rural Alberta. The hub works fantastic, and it was not causing any concerns until the last couple/few weeks. In that time, if I use Teams for general chats, it works great. If I need to use the "record and transcribe" feature while in Teams, it does not work. It will get stuck in a blue wheel of trying to transcribe and won't go anywhere. It worked at the end of June, which was the last time I needed to use it. Today, it didn't work. I tried Zoom and tried to record, and it worked flawlessly.

So, here is where it gets interesting: if I use Teams on my laptop while hotspotting from my phone (also Rogers cell customer), transcribing/recording works. If I access Teams on my iPhone only using wifi, the record/transcribe works. If I access Teams on my iPad only using wifi, the record/transcribe works. If I take my Macbook pro to a friend's place that uses a different cable router (say, Telus), the record/transcribe feature works on my Macbook pro.

I have tried accessing on my Macbook pro through different browsers (won't even connect) and through the app after deleting and reinstalling, rebooting and all that. No dice. Then on a whim, I turned on my Cyberghost VPN and selected Canada (which is where I currently am). Bingo, the record/transcribe feature worked on my laptop using the Teams app.

What the what? Can anyone make sense of that? I contacted Rogers and they were all *shrug* "maybe try contacting Nokia." Nokia was not interested in helping, and although Rogers support tried to help, they were at a loss of ideas.

***Edited Labels***

3 REPLIES 3

Re: A Real Dilemma - Nokia Fastmile 5G and Teams on My Macbook

jokens
I've been here awhile

The sales team lies and hides valuable information about this service. YOU CANNOT stream above 3mbps which basically means this is for internet browsing only, not video or audio streaming/calls. This service is worse than the average satellite internet. I DO NOT RECOMMEND this service to anyone

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jokens : The information is not hidden, although it is in the "fine print" of the following link:

https://www.rogers.com/mobility/5g-home-internet

Click "See Full Details" at the bottom and you'll see that it states:

"When streaming, download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, good for videos up to 720p HD". Outside of the streaming limitation, many people are quite happy with this service due to their location.

The OP in this thread had issues with a certain type of functionality, which he was able to solve, but not explain.

CanuckChick13
I've been here awhile

I think it's got to be an IP address issue specific to my laptop and Teams. I just cleared the Teams cache and it still isn't working. Doesn't seem to explain how it was working a couple weeks ago and it's not now. Frustrating.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation