cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"IP Reputation" security issues involving my Synology NAS

AllanRi
I plan to stick around

Since signing on to Rogers Ignite internet, I've been getting messages in the Ignite Wifi mobile app about attempts to access (?) my Synology NAS by "known malicious" IP addresses, often from Russia. (Yikes).  I'm not sure what to do.  The Rogers app suggests restarting the device (not sure what that would do), updating the software (it is up to date) or "pausing" the NAS in the Rogers app.  The software on the NAS is up to date, so I paused the device from the Wifi app.  What does this do?  Block external access to it? Even though I've paused the NAS in the Wifi app, I'm still able access it from my home network, so is it really paused?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: "IP Reputation" security issues involving my Synology NAS

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Getting malicious attempts to access your network from Russia is concerning to me. Have you checked your other devices to make sure they're safe and the security settings are properly enabled?  

AllanRi
I plan to stick around
Other devices meaning …? The only other networked devices we would have would be a printer, and our MacBooks.

KDP4JK
I've been around

I'm having the same experience with my Synology NAS. I guess I'm just left wondering if there is anything further I need to do to secure my network, or is the Rogers modem blocking these risks on its own?

AllanRi
I plan to stick around

I disabled external access to my NAS in the Ignite modem, which prevents me from accessing it when I'm away from home, but that's not really an issue for me.  Since then, no warning messages.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation