cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers upgrades to fibre

chemical1
I plan to stick around

Hi,

Is there anywhere that shows the progress of Rogers upgrading the network (ie map) online somewhere?  I am just so tired of the constant ping spikes.  It is quite frustrating while gaming.

*Added Labels*

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Rogers upgrades to fibre

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chemical1  Not as far as I know.  Link-On was even doing work in my area, laying the groundwork for a possible services upgrade, and Rogers could not provide me with any confirmation that a services upgrade was even on the horizon; only that some construction work was in-progress.  If you don't see fibre crews doing any work, above or below ground, then I wouldn't expect that any such service upgrade would be imminent.

Once upon a time, Bell had a site where people could check to see if FTTH would be coming soon to their address.  They got deluged with phone calls from customers demanding that their area be upgraded immediately, frustrated customers who could not get their area upgraded immediately, and even more frustrated customers who were upset their area would not get upgraded anytime soon.  It was a disaster, and Bell ended up taking the site down.  I can't see Rogers ever doing a similar thing.

chemical1
I plan to stick around

About a month ago there was a company checking the lines or something and then the next week there were small diameter black pipes sticking out of the ground then they were gone the next day. Is this anything? Rogers is the only high speed internet in my town, really wish there was an alternative kinda fed up.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chemical1 wrote:

About a month ago there was a company checking the lines or something and then the next week there were small diameter black pipes sticking out of the ground then they were gone the next day. Is this anything? Rogers is the only high speed internet in my town, really wish there was an alternative kinda fed up.

It's probably conduit for fibre.  How far apart are the exit points?  If they put a small underground enclosure on the lawn/boulevard of every other house, so that fibre could be run from that point towards where the Rogers cable NID/demarc is currently located, then that's a promising sign that FTTH might be coming.  However, if there is an underground vault every 10 houses or so, then it's probably not for FTTH.  Regardless, if FTTH is coming to you "soon", expect to see door hangers advising you of more upcoming construction.  (Rogers and/or their contractors will need your permission before they can dig on your property and terminate fibre in your home.)  I also use the word "soon" rather loosely because even if a coil of fibre is run to the exterior of your home, it could still be days, weeks, months or even a year before it gets terminated and lit up.

You can try calling Rogers to see if any upcoming work is scheduled in your area.  You can also call your municipality to see if any permits have been approved for upcoming construction work near your address as well.

FYI, Rogers also published a Fiber-to-the-Home FAQ but apparently the toll-free numbers are no longer active.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 in conversation