cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent upgraded to 1.5 XB7 from 1.0 XB6 - but no change in speed test

shynepo3
I've been here awhile

Hi, so i recently upgraded to an XB7 from an XB6 - my plan went from 1.0 to 1.5 as well.  But I dont see any changes in speed when i go to fast.com or ookola.  I get about 900Mbps-1000Mbps, which is fine, but i was already getting that prior.  These are all hardwired to modem too.  Any thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Recent upgraded to 1.5 XB7 from 1.0 XB6 - but no change in speed test

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A few questions and comments:

1. Is the device you're connecting to capable of speeds above 1Gb/s?  Many are not.

2. Try running two tests simultaneously on two devices and add the two together.

3. Are you connected to port 4 (the 2.5 Gb/s Ethernet port on the Gateway?  The one with the orange/red line beside it?  The other ports are 1 Gb/s, but can be used for a test with two or more devices at the same time.

https://www.rogers.com/support/internet/test-your-internet-speed

shynepo3
I've been here awhile

thank you i will try these - was not aware of the port 4.  so only 1 port will support the faster speeds?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@shynepo3 wrote:

thank you i will try these - was not aware of the port 4.  so only 1 port will support the faster speeds?

Yes, but to attain 2.5 Gb/s on Port 4, you also need to have a 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet adapter in your computer, or a 5 or 10 GigE adapter that can negotiate a 2.5 Gigabit connection.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation