cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV App For 3rd Party Streaming Boxes

Ducs_Of_Hazzard
I'm here a lot

Any idea when Roger is finally going to release the Ignite TV App for 3rd Party streaming boxes like the AppleTV, Roku, or Firestick?

Telus already has this with their TV+ App for AppleTV. Thinking I’ll switch my services over to Telus so I don’t have to run a second source component in my setup.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Ignite TV App For 3rd Party Streaming Boxes

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Ducs_Of_Hazzard wrote:

Any idea when Roger is finally going to release the Ignite TV App for 3rd Party streaming boxes like the AppleTV, Roku, or Firestick?

People have been asking about this for years.  However, Rogers will not comment publicly about any products until they are announced, nor will they say whether or not this is even planned.

Ducs_Of_Hazzard
I'm here a lot

Oh Man...  If people have been asking for this functionality for years and Rogers / Shaw still hasn't added it then it's for sure time to cancel and switch providers.

If you are not going to provide access to all the apps in the Apple App Store or Google Play Store then there is no point in trying to make apps work on your own hardware.  Leave it to the companies that are providing the hardware / app stores and create / support your app for their platform.

A Rogers / Shaw Receiver is never going to have access to all the apps in the various app stores all they can do is add specific apps to their platform and they can't keep up with the speed that apps for streaming content are developed and released.  They should just stay out of that business and support their app for the handful of platforms out there.

A Shaw / Rogers receiver is never going to replace a AppleTV, Roku, Firestick, etc.

Actually, Shaw released their BlueCurve TV app on Amazon FireTV.  Rogers has not taken it down (in fact, they released a new build with Ignite TV branding) but it is only available to (former) Shaw customers.  As far as I know, Shaw never released an app for Apple TV or Roku.

Will be interesting to see where this goes.  Right now, customers can cast from the Ignite TV mobile app to both Apple TV and Chromecast.  I personally feel that it would be in Rogers' best interests to release an app on all media players that Comcast supports.  Maybe there are aspects of the Shaw integration that are also holding things up.  I don't know.  However, when Rogers (hopefully) unifies the best aspects of BlueCurve TV and Ignite TV, I can't see them taking away the Fire TV app from Shaw customers, or not eventually offering the app to Rogers customers.

Ya I agree...  It's totally in their best interest!  And users would much rather access the service via a third party media streamer that gives them access to a full suite of apps not just ones a cable provider chooses to support.

Welp it's 2024 now and still no app 🙃 if I'd have known this I wouldn't have even signed up to rogers.

I know…. It’s totally ridiculous that they don’t have an app for third Party Streaming boxes like AppleTV or Android devices, etc. I actually cancelled my TV service with Shaw / Rogers because of it. I now use Bell as my service provider and have the box installed in my mechanical room not connected to an TV and strictly use the Fibe TV app on AppleTV for the service. Works like a charm and I don’t have to switch HDMI inputs on the tv since all 4 of my HDMI ports on my TV are used without a cable box (AppleTV, Sonos Soundbar, Computer, Gaming Console).

stratos79
I've been around

i know right taking forever Why no app for Apple TV is 2024 now  I might have to switch to bell after 10 years being with rogers 

Couldn’t agree with you more. Rogers was going to develop their own IPTV system but couldn’t wait, to catch up to the competition, they went to Comcast and are using the X1 platform for the boxes. So every app they carry has to have a version that meets the X1 platform. So they have limited their selves to a lot of content from apps that are available from the app. As a Canadian company they don’t carry- CBC Gem, CTV, Global TV, YES TV, CP 24, CTV News Channel, Bloomberg. I have asked this question before. The answer I get is that they would have develop an app to conform to the X1 platform. There is more to this, the 7 I have mentioned above are free ( ad supported ) from the App Store, Smart TVs, have more content, time shift channels ( Rogers charges for time shift). Bell advertises 1000’s of apps from the App Store.

The internet has has opened the door for all TV subscribers, apps, services which are free because they are ad supported, no different than over the air channels with an antenna.

Rogers decided to go to Comcast and the boxes are licensed through them instead of developing their own IPTV. 

I’m tired of arguing with Rogers and asking the same old questions about apps.

With the internet, Smart TVs, the App Store, I find what is free to download and content is free. Rogers wouldn’t add some of the seven apps I mentioned anyways as they are making money, from subscribers, while subscribers are getting them for free with more content, time shift channels. The broadcasters are getting smart as they are using the internet to a larger audience mobile devices, apps, IPads, computers, Smart TVs, so you don’t have to sit in front of your tv anymore.

Things are changing everyday and the public aren’t naive. Don’t wait for Rogers be your own advocate.

s_adam
I plan to stick around

It's the other way around. What we want is the IgniteTV app for streaming devices. I can use IgnitetV on my PC, iPhone and iPad. I want an app for my AppleTV devices, so I can get rid of the Rogers box and have only a single device attached to my TV. 

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 in conversation