cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nervous to Buy a Phone From eBay?

KyleM
I plan to stick around

Hey, everyone. I am reluctant to buy a "new, unopened, unlocked" phone from eBay because I've heard of situations where a phone would later be blacklisted, etc. I understand that if its a used phone, then perhaps the seller is neglecting their fees to the carrier which would incur a blacklisting, but if it is in fact unopened and unlocked, then it isn't tied to a carrier, and so can it be become blacklisted by Rogers (my carrier)? 

How can I go about ensuring that this transaction will be safe? 
Thanks!

***Edited Labels***

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Nervous to Buy a Phone From eBay?

RogersHassam
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @KyleM,

I do a lot of shopping on eBay and I have barely ever had issues. However, if you're buying a phone that's claimed to be brand new and unlocked, I would look at the seller's reviews and description of the phone etc., and where the seller is located. There is always a risk factor though and personally, if it's an expensive phone, I'd make sure it's being sold locally. If the phone is indeed brand new, it would not be blacklisted. You do have the choice of using a phone purchased elsewhere with your Rogers SIM as long as it works with our GSM network and is unlocked or Rogers locked. Have you considered getting a phone through us? We have a lot of phones to choose from. More details can be found here on our website :). Do you currently have a plan with us? 

Community, please feel free to chime in. @Meowmix

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

KyleM
I plan to stick around

Yes, I do have a plan with you folks, and for over four years now. However, I do not want to spend $800 or so on a month-to-month from you when I can get it much cheaper elsewhere, or better yet, get a nearly free upgrade on a renewed contract--but, of course, I am not eligible for an upgrade because I became a loyal customer back when plans were "cheap" and I would now have to forfeit my plan. I wish I didn't have to go to eBay but..

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

IF the device was stolen and the EMEI number was reported.. then yes it could be blacklisted...

The other major concern i would watch.. is for fakes, etc.
So really watch the sellers location can be a clue sometimes (overseas, china many times)..

People buy stuff on ebay all the time.. say a portable hard drive for DIRT CHEAP.
It arrives.. plug in.. it works.. but not reporting the right size...
They open it up... oh look, its not a hard drive, but a usb stick, glued inside with extra weight in it, etc.

I have even see things of 'iphones' sold/shipped... LOOKS like an iphone.. even has an apple logo when starting up... but its a knock off, running a NON supported android OS, etc.

Hi @KyleM,

@Gdkitty is correct. If it was reported lost or stolen, the device could be blacklisted and can only be removed by the original owner of the device. Once a device is blacklisted it cannot be used with any Canadian carrier even if it has been unlocked. 

As previously mentioned, there are steps you can take to ensure you are purchasing the phone from a reputable seller. Also, as an additional step, I would ask the seller for the IMEI number of the device so you can check the status of it before you purchase it. You can click on this link to find out the status, or you can contact us to confirm whether or not the device has been blacklisted.

I can understand why you would have some hesitation in changing your plan; however I would suggest checking out the link @RogersHassam provided. We now offer a variety of plans that will fit your needs and give you added value such as our Spotify, Shomi or Texture experiences.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

@RogersGabrielle

KyleM
I plan to stick around

Hmm, and I guess I really wouldn't be able to tell if it was truly unopened (therefore probably not a stolen phone). Fairly risky then.

No, I'm not hesitant to change my plan--it's simply not an option to change my plan because each plan you currently offer would have me pay more for less.  The only hesitation is to stay with Rogers. These "Share" plans don't offer benefits to indivudual users who were loyal to Rogers before and are being forced into inferior plans. 

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation