cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!! Someone sold me a Nextbox Fraudulently

Deep23
I've been around
So I bought a Nextbox on Kijiji.

The woman advised me the box was owned and that she just switched to Bell. When I tried to set it up I called Rogers and they told me the box was a rental. I advised the seller and then she claims she’s on welfare and will have my money by months end. I was too kind and giving her that time. Now the woman doesn’t respond.

So I have this useless box which I can’t even activate.

So my question is; is there anything I can do? Will Rogers do anything (I know it’s a long shot).

Anybody been through this?

Should I go to the police? Is this a small claims court thing now?

Any help is appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Help!! Someone sold me a Nextbox Fraudulently

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

not sure what else you can do, except put a police report but i doubt they would arrest the poor old lady.  they might take a report down in case it happens again but some things you can do as a buyer *before* you buy a used netbox, is call rogers cable csr, and give them the serial number of the box ,they can check if its rental or outright purchase.

another thing, the poor old lady should note is that by selling a rental box, when she cancels the box or her account and they ask for the equipment back, she will have to pay a penalty for non return of equipment so yeah she will also get a nice surprise bill in the mail.  

I dunno if u want to use that as leverage against her?  tell her to give you the money back or you will report her to rogers for selling rental equipment, but if she is poor and on welfare what is she doing switching to bell fibe? shes probably paying more now?

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@Deep23I'm afraid you're out of luck. I would imagine the woman already has unpaid Rogers bills and probably owes money all over the place. Rogers will be coming after her if they haven't already.

Elsewhere on this there is a list of steps to take when buying a used box to ensure it's not a rental or stolen.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, you're out of luck.  For future reference, here's the checklist of what you need to do when purchasing a used Rogers box:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/37-rogers-cable-tv/64632-guidelines-selling-buying-used-rogers-term...

djschlitt
I've been around

Purchased Rental Terminal

An online kijiji ad for a Rogers nextbox 3.0 was a fair deal, messaged seller and asked all the right questions. He assured me it wasnt a rental but would not provide serial number as he was concerned I would add box to me account but said he just sold another and that buyer had no problems adding it to their account. So, we arranged a pick up and paid cash for it. My mistake was not immediately calling Rogers to verify serial before giving him the cash. So now I have a rental unit I cant use, out a few bucks. Is there anyone I can contact and provide his info to? What should I do with the terminal, without sitting on it and letting it go to collectors?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@djschlitt wrote: ...would not provide serial number as he was concerned I would add box to me account but said he just sold another and that buyer had no problems adding it to their account. 

Your post was probably moved to this thread.  All of the steps required to safely purchase a used box are outlined in the link in post 4 of this thread.

With regard to adding the SN to your account, this is only possible once the box is at your home.  It cannot be done if the seller still has possession, so he was lying to you to get your money.

You can try contacting Rogers again to see if they'll do anything for you.  Perhaps you can provide them with the seller information, although they may already have that if it was his rental.  If Rogers can't do anything, perhaps you can drop it off at a Rogers store - discuss this when you're talking to them.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@57 wrote:

You can try contacting Rogers again to see if they'll do anything for you.  Perhaps you can provide them with the seller information, although they may already have that if it was his rental.  If Rogers can't do anything, perhaps you can drop it off at a Rogers store - discuss this when you're talking to them.

It's quite possible the  seller is not the original renter. He could just have been trying to pass it off after discovering he's bought a rental from someone else, or it could be a stolen box. But returning it to a Rogers store ought to be worth something. An unscrupulous person would just try to resell it to someone else to recoup their money.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 in conversation