cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bell and Rogers sharing conduits in condos/apartments

BobF4321
I plan to stick around

I’m an existing Rogers customer living in a condo tower (own my unit) and satisfied with my Rogers service.  We have just been notified that Bell Fibe installers will be entering our units to install their access point in or near to the existing Rogers cable outlet (wall plate).  I’m concerned that Bell pulling another cable through the existing conduits will impact my Rogers service... the existing cable is very old and may suffer from this process.  Also, I read that a CRTC decision requires condo boards to allow access to up to 4 service providers.  The thought of 4 cables in the existing conduits is a bit risky in my opinion.  Who would you call in case of problems? The future-proof solution would be 4 providers using separate strands in a fibre optic cable, so that only one or two cables would have to run through the conduits.

Has anyone else gone through this experience?  How did it go?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Bell and Rogers sharing conduits in condos/apartments

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I went through a similar experience with buried cable to my house. Last summer my telco/ISP installed fibre and the contractor cut my Rogers cable in the process. When I lost my TV I called Rogers and a tech came and hung a temporary cable the next day from the pole to the garage and along the gutter.  It's still there.  I just hope when they get around to burying a new cable they don't cut my fibre.  If your cable gets damaged, all you can do is call Rogers and let them sort it out.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
allowing multiple providers to share conduit is amazing. If bell breaks a rogers cable during their fiber installation obvi they are responsible to notify rogers and get it fixed, worse case you can notify them too, but that normally does not happen rest assured you should be fine.

BobF4321
I plan to stick around
They finally came to do the install, and chose to use the phone conduit instead of the cable conduit, so this has become a non-issue for me. FYI, they pulled very small fibre-optic cable... about 3mm I would guess. The installer said that if necessary they can run this along baseboards so it's hardly visible.
Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation