cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home monitoring forum?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Just signed up for the home monitoring today. There has been a rash of break ins in the area, and I've been debating a system since we moved in.

While there is not as much troubleshooting with it compared to Internet etc, just wondering if it deserved it's own board? May get more people signing up for it if they knew there was a spot to ask questions even before buying 🙂
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Home monitoring forum?

RogersGina
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey - thanks for this thread. You'll have to tell us what you think of the install experience and the product (I've only seen demos). 

Our plan with the Rogers Smart Home Monitoring board is like any other board in the forums, we open it up based on demand. So if there are suddenly some dangling threads that don't have a home but obviously belong together, or the community asks for a board, then we open it 🙂

Some past examples are: splitting the Internet and Mobile Internet boards (Chris and skinorth) or Windows (Meowmix). We just don't want to open a board that will be a ghost town after a short period of time *cough* Home Phone.

Make sense?

For now, Rogers Smart Home Monitoring could fit in General Care and Support. 

Oh yeah, i totaly understand 🙂

Good thing for the GENERAL board.. at least a place that people if they cant find the right catagory, to post a question about it.  I just know i have seen on other forums, that if they cant find a place to post they often wont... dont want to discourage people NOT to ask questions 🙂

My install isnt till the 10th of sept, so i will let you guys know afterwards 🙂  I may even post an 'my experience' thread in general so people can see 🙂   So far it was great, talked to Tim at the monitoring sales center.  One of the best rogers reps i have ever talked to.. he was great, knew the product 100%, asked the right questions to see what i wanted, even turned me away from over spending on stuff i DIDNT need.

If anyone else has been thinking about it, this is a great time apparently.  Normaly, you have to buy all the equipment yourself, they pay the monthly fee.
Right now, IF you sign up for a 3 year contract (yea, i know the whole contract dealie :P), you get a 450-500 (somewhere in there) hardware credit.. so you can get a bunch of equipement, for FREE.  I am getting 2 glass break sensors, 2 door sensors, 1 motion sensor, and the installation cost.. for only $20+tax (so i went JUST over the amount).
Plus, the first year, the monthly fee is like 1/2 the price (only $18) after that goes up to 38, which is the same price as ADT, etc.

So in the end, all the sensors, etc are YOURS owned by you.  The pad though, is a rental.  But this means it can be updated, ets as technology changes, etc.. (ie: they plan to change the pad in just over a years time, so this is covered).

Just posted a large post on the general board about some info, my experience with it, etc, if anyone wants to take a look.

Chris
I'm a senior advisor
How's your home monitoring going? My parents were asking about it.

If they already have a security system will the rogers one be able to use their current sensors?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Everything is going great 🙂  Only set it off ONCE accidently >.> Forgot to unarm it in the morning.. my 2 year old son droped a glass in the kitchen... tripped the glass break sensor >.<

Yes and no is my understanding on the other equipment.  May all depend on the equipment. The rogers one, is wireless to the pad.. so not sure if ANY wired sensors will work.  Or they still might, there may be a 'module' box then can connect to, then that talks to the rogers pad.

Best would be to talk to the people on the whole home phone number.. they would know best.

Depending on what / how many sensors they have.. might be just as easy to replace.  With the promo that is still going on.. its up to $500 credit i beleive.  125 or so of that will be taken by the install fee.. but i got 2 motion, 2 door, and 1 glass break + install, was only 440 something.  So completely covered.

Comparing to ADT, etc.. the monitoring fee, seems to be about the same/month.

Chris
I'm a senior advisor
thanks for the update! (we are still fighting)
Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation