cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5g home internet with Nokia router

Chrismurray
I've been here awhile
Hi there I have the Nokia fast tomorrow 5G home Internet plan for 500 GB and the Nokia router. The problem is as I don’t get 5G service. I only get one light on my router and when I’m connected any of my devices are connected via Wi-Fi I can’t even load one page on Google or anything. I can’t listen to music I can’t stream music I can’t do updates, it’s just so slow and so weak. I don’t know if it’s settings issue or the router issue I don’t know what to do because Roger is telling me that I can’t cancel it even though it doesn’t work I want to up my plan and get rid of the 5G Internet and the Nokia router or replace the router for a different rocket stick or something does anybody have any suggestions on how I can make this work or how I can cancel it with Rogers
26 REPLIES 26

Re: 5g home internet with Nokia router

gareth01
I plan to stick around

So I received the 2x QuadPro antennas and proceeded to mount one of them and do some tests with the included U.FL antenna adapters. It is quite easy to open the FastMile and attach these without making any permanent modifications.

I did some testing yesterday (a moderately cloudy day) with the modem outside and all 8 internal antenna connections unplugged. The only onboard antenna ports that seemed to do anything when connected to the QuadPro were ANT0 and ANT1 which according to a post I found on Reddit are used for  N71. Connecting any other antenna ports didn't seem to have any impact whatsoever. This is probably just based on the service available in my location, your situation will likely vary.

According to the Nokia's cellular status screen it is using band 'N2' whatever that is. 'Network Cell Info Lite' on my phone (Pixel 7) says I'm getting Rogers 5G on Band 12 most of the time. WaveForm's SignalStream app showed most of the tests I ran being on Band 71 but a few of them were on Band 12.

The weird thing is my RSRP is actually worse with using the QuadPro, usually around -105-110dBm, where as I often saw sub -100dBm with my previous booster solution. The SNR was slightly higher hitting 15-18dB vs 9dB the last time I recorded it, so perhaps that is making a difference. Moving the QuadPro side to side or tilting it didn't seem to make any difference.

The SpeedTest results however were *hugely* better. I saw it hit 70mbps before throttling kicked in and brought my down to my plan limit of 25mbps. The upload was vastly better however, got a steady 5mbps even seeing 7+ displayed for short periods.

Anyway, since I'm only using 2 of the connectors, I'm debating returning the QuadPros and getting one of their cheaper 2x2 antennas. It will also mean less cable required as I will only need a dual cable instead of the very expensive quad.

gareth01
I plan to stick around

So I replaced the QuadPro with the Waveform 2x2 and am getting similar results. I also picked up a pair of longer RG58 cables which experience more signal loss than the Waveform Quadflex cables which means I'm unable to get 5G but still get a decent 4G signal on Band B66 using the same antenna ports (0/1). And download/upload are good as well. Since I'm planning to send the QuadPro and cables back I'm going to replace the RG58 with just enough heavy duty LMR400 coax. I also ordered a pair of lightning / surge arrestors for coax to ground the line coming from the antenna as recommended. Hopefully this solves my slow speeds for good!

SHEEB
I plan to stick around

If I could improve my n78 signal I think my speed would be alot more consistent but I am not interested in spending much more money. I am happy overall with the service though for $50.

My n78 stats are

RSRP-101 dBm
SNR6 dB
RSRQ-11 dB

gareth01
I plan to stick around
According to the user on Reddit who posted their testing results N78 is picked up on ANT 5, 6 connections. If that is the only band you are receiving you might see an improvement with the Waveform 2x2 which is C$139 on Amazon (without cables). My total expenditure including all cables for my ultimate solution was under $250 which I consider to be a bargain. Now I just need to decide if this is good enough that I can cancel my backup DSL service.

SHEEB
I plan to stick around
The Fastmile is picking up N78 aggregated with B2 (1900).

gdmaclew
I plan to stick around

I'm getting 94 Mbps down and 11 Mbps up with the internal antenna, 1 km from the tower.

Topic Stats
  • 26 replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 10 in conversation