cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammed and probably sent two brand phones to scammers

GabyAndrea
I've been around
My husband received a call from what seem to be local numbers. I was the main contact on the account but I had recently moved to Telus and my husband is also in the account. He identified himself as representative calling on behalf of Rogers and offering a 50$ a month plan (taxes included) for 30 GB data/unlimited calling+text plan and iPhone 14 Pro . When my husband agreed, they took my email because that is the email under the Rogers account and said someone would phone him back. Another guy phoned him back and then said to wait for an authentication email so he can continue… the email I got was one of those verification emails for when you forget your own password to log into MyRogers. And I gave it to my husband and now realizing it was a scam and how I didn’t see the red flags. I left to look after our kids and the next day realized I got an email that my password was reset and that two phones were ordered. The two phones came and were not the ones we wanted mind you that he had only requested one so he called this guys telling him these were not the ones we wanted so this guy sent an email with two purolator shipping labels and told us my husband to send it so they can send the new ones. This time this guy asked my husband for a credit card number to for the shipping of the new phone that is supposed to be accredited to the first bill. I was not with my husband during this time and he provided his credit card. My husband got a charge for $200 for ups so I finally decided to call this guy and also Rogers. The guy didn’t pick up and when I spoke to Rogers, they told us it was definitely fraud and I got a phone number to report the fraud but it only goes to voicemail. I am now so worried for the cost of these phones and I am not getting through to anyone in the fraud department. Feel so stupid that my husband and I got scammed so bad and the red flags were there
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Scammed and probably sent two brand phones to scammers

RogersZia

Good afternoon @GabyAndrea,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

The scams are quite elaborate these days, so I understand why you would've had a hard time recognizing this call as fraudulent. Typically we create a call back request on the customer's account so our Fraud team can get in touch with them. My colleague should've certainly done the same.

Have you had any contact with our customer service or fraud team since you last posted here?

Just as an FYI, please be vigilant sharing your financial information over the phone or online as much as you can.

RogersZia

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

RogersZia

Good afternoon @GabyAndrea,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

The scams are quite elaborate these days, so I understand why you would've had a hard time recognizing this call as fraudulent. Typically we create a call back request on the customer's account so our Fraud team can get in touch with them. My colleague should've certainly done the same.

Have you had any contact with our customer service or fraud team since you last posted here?

Just as an FYI, please be vigilant sharing your financial information over the phone or online as much as you can.

RogersZia

mayank9595
I've been here awhile

Same thing happened to me, At every step I was bit skeptical but still gave in. I ordered Iphone 15, they sent 14 (wrong device) , sent back as per their instructions and I Was scammed. Only good thing, they didn't charge me for Return ( didn't ask for Credit card) 

I have opened case with rogers fraud team , lets see how fast they reach out and able to help out. Did you hear back anything from Rogers? 

I too faced the same issue and still waiting for Rogers to contact me. The customer service say that they have raised the case and you will be contacted by the department and still no call back from Rogers. I am so disappointed with their services that I wish to disable all the services I have with Rogers. This whole scam is due to merger. Rogers please wake up and help the loyal customers out there. Why should they wait in long queues and suffer at your hands. 

Hasrat
I've been here awhile
Hi Mayank,

Did the fraud team solved your case? And if yes, Can you please provide some timeline as I too have been a fraud victim.

Good morning and welcome to the Community @Hasrat,

I can imagine how stressing fraudulent activities on an account can be. May you share a little bit about what's happened on your account? Please make sure you do not share any personal or financial info in the post. Have you had a chance to speak to customer care since you last posted here?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

RogersZia

Hasrat
I've been here awhile
Hi Zia,

Someone ordered 3 different iPhones from my account and that's been added under my lines, I have been trying to reach out to Rogers since last week, ever since I realized that my account is breached and I am a victim, And was advised that case have been escalated to the Fraaud team and someone from the team would get back to me within 24 Hrs and would be able to assist better,

But it's been almost a week and nobody called or reached out to me, I’ve been reaching out to the customer service ever day and same response everytime just wait,

Also, I would like to mention that I just gave 1 acoount with 1 line that's the only number I am using but if I see in my account that shows 4 active lines under my account from last week,

The main concern is I am travelling by this weekend for a couple of weeks and won't be able to contact anyone from the Rogers, if they won't help in day or two, I don't know what to do!!

Greetings @Hasrat!

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I understand that it's distressing to be the victim of fraud. Has anyone from the fraud department contacted you as of yet?

Regards,

RogersCorey

gettingscammed
I've been around

Hi GabyAndrea, I received the exact same phone call as your husband and when i received the second call I fell for it as well and gave them the verification code that was in the email. during the conversation the caller then told me that to qualify for this offer I am not to go into my MyRogers account for 48 hours. it was at this moment I really became skeptical and started accusing them of trying to scam me. They then transferred me to a "manager" who tried convincing me this isn't a scam and again asked me not to go into my account as it will nullify the offer. I told her that I must go into my account in order to pay my bill which was past due and Rogers was expecting that payment by the next day. She told me that would be fine, to go ahead and pay the bill and they would wait until the next day to procced with the offer. I then hung up on her and went home ( I was shopping when the second call came in). later that evening i tried logging in to my account and the password which was saved by google in the password manager wouldn't work for me and I immediately realized that the verification code I gave them was used to change my password which I changed again as soon as I realized. I left it at that as I assumed I then thwarted their plan, whatever it may have been. Well i found out what that plan was, they were using my number to try scamming others which I realized after I received multiple text messages from people swearing at me and telling me to leave them alone. I then called rogers after figuring this out to explain the situation and was told a case was assigned to the fraud department and i would receive a text message in 10 to 15 days with the results of the investigation. no reply came but the obscene texts stopped coming in so i figured they took care of it. they did not, instead they closed the case the same night i called it in and did not send any information that they did or a reason why. fast forward a little and i receive a bill showing over $450 in charges to my bill. I called rogers again (this is when I was told about the case being closed) and explained to the representative what was going on and that these scammers were racking up charges on my bill by using my number to make long distance calls to the U.S.A.. She transferred me to a manager who then informed me it was MMS text messages being sent to many numbers throought the U.S.A. to which i replied i did not send these. She tried convincing me it must have been me as they were sent by number. They refuse to remove these chargers and expect me to pay them, which I will not be doing. My account may get suspended but I will not give in. At this point, whether or not Rogers re-opens their investigation and finds me innocent, i will be leaving them and going to a different carrier. If they do not re-open the investigation and suspend my account for not paying, I will then be going to the media with my story and smear Rogers name for their belligerence and incompetency. 

@gettingscammed  @Hasrat please have a look at the following post.  

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Account-Support/Fraudulent-New-account-opened-under-my-name/m-...

I wrote that post for a customer, when a fraudulent account was opened under the customer's name.  The situation that you find yourself in, with phones ordered by a scammer using your account is very similar.  And it appears, so is Rogers lack of action to assist you in negating the harmful results of the scammers actions.  Ok, so be it.  At this point consider yourself to be on your own if Rogers continues to ignore the problem.  

First thing to do is to write yourself a report, from the very start of this episode.  Don't leave out any detail or instruction from the scammers, as it might be important to any later investigation.  Include phone call times and numbers if you have a record of them of some type.  Include any email addresses that might have been used to correspond with you and include any addresses where you might have been instructed to send the phones to. 

When you have collected your thoughts and completed that report, personal opinion, your next action should be to file a police report with your local police or RCMP and a report with the Canadian Anti-Fraud centre.  You will need to refer to those reports when you converse with Equifax Canada and Transunion Canada, the CRTC,  Consumer Protection Ontario, and The Better Business Bureau of Toronto.

When you talk with Equifax Canada and Transunion Canada, your first objective is to ensure that your personal details are correct and haven't been hijacked by the scammers to carry out further scams with you as the victim.  Ask both of them for a credit report.  I believe they are obligated to provide one freebie, but, don't quote me on that one.  I'll have to look that one up.  When that arrives, look for any other credit accounts that may have been opened under your name, without you knowing about it.  If there are other fraudulent accounts, you will have to take further action to close those accounts and demand that any derogatory statements on your credit file are withdrawn as they are the result of fraudulent activities with you as the victim.   Ensure that both Equifax Canada and Transunion Canada place statements on your credit file to indicate that you are the victim of ID theft.  That will stay on your file for 5 or 7 years, not sure on that one. 

You are going to have to have some conversation with Equifax Canada and Transunion Canada regarding the impending non-payment report by Rogers if you don't intend to pay the fraudulent charges and Rogers chooses not to dismiss the fraudulent charges.  The police reports should assist in that matter.  The follow on to this is for Rogers to turn over the account to a Collections Agency who will probably file their own non-payment statements with Equifax and Transunion Canada.  I can see a real fight brewing here due to the lack of action on Rogers part to protect its customers.  Whatever you do, your goal is to protect your credit rating and reputation, regardless of Rogers's action or inaction.  The steps with Equifax Canada and Transunion Canada go beyond any involvement with Rogers.  You need to protect yourself from this scam, and any other scams that these particular miscreants might attempt by using your credit rating. 

Lastly, your conversations with the CRTC,  Consumer Protection Ontario, and The Better Business Bureau of Toronto should probably point out how Rogers has shown a lack of action to protect you as a customer.  How far you carry that conversation will depend on you .  

Fwiw, Rogers should have the IMEI number for all of the phones that have been shipped out.  With those numbers, Rogers can simply declare the phones as being stolen, at which point they will be completely useless to anyone who buys them from the scammers.  I have not seen any reports from scammed customers to indicate that this has been done.  If Rogers simply declared the phones as stolen and had them blacklisted, this scam would probably come to a halt pretty quickly.  That could be done immediately, before the scammers or their customers were able to power up the phones.  As it is, Rogers is most likely covered by insurance for these types of scams, so, it doesn't make much sense to drag a customer's credit rating thru the mud and take a hard stand against its customers.  That is simply bad form, so to speak, personal opinion.  

Ok, those are my thoughts on this for now......

Hailwrig3
I've been here awhile
This just happened to me:(

@Hailwrig3 read my instructions following your other post. 

Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 9 in conversation