cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS SPAM uptick to daily / multiple per day

uniqueusername
I plan to stick around

I am tracking this as I am already reporting each one to rogers by forwarding to the 7726 address so I have a trail of this.

I already reported this is MUCH worse on rogers vs my previous provider, however I am getting them daily now are multiple times per day. I am not really convinced that forwarding these to 7726 does anything.

Fake Bank/Delivery/CRA/Fine notices etc.. 

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: SMS SPAM uptick to daily / multiple per day

RogersMaude

Good afternoon @uniqueusername,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. SMS spam is is an issue that we take very seriously. As part of our effort to protect you from this inconvenience, we use scanning software to constantly hunt for, identify, and filter out unwanted messages before they get to your phone or device.

Should a spam message still get through, reporting the suspicious or unsolicited message for investigation by forwarding it via text message (SMS) to 7726 (SPAM) remains the right thing to do. Doing so helps us to identify new types of spam messages and improve our filters for all users. Keep in mind that only message content is considered for blocking, not the sender’s telephone number, as they tend to change often.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RogersMaude

Good afternoon @uniqueusername,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. SMS spam is is an issue that we take very seriously. As part of our effort to protect you from this inconvenience, we use scanning software to constantly hunt for, identify, and filter out unwanted messages before they get to your phone or device.

Should a spam message still get through, reporting the suspicious or unsolicited message for investigation by forwarding it via text message (SMS) to 7726 (SPAM) remains the right thing to do. Doing so helps us to identify new types of spam messages and improve our filters for all users. Keep in mind that only message content is considered for blocking, not the sender’s telephone number, as they tend to change often.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

For years I have dutifully forwarded the almost daily SPAM SMS messages that I receive to SPAM.

The one thing in common with 99% of these messages is that they are lame. Is there a plan for Rogers to improve SMS SPAM filtering?

Ya both Telus and Rogers offer the forward to "SPAM" option.. All it has done for me is document how poor Rogers is at filtering low effort SPAM.

It is a repeating loop of CRA, Netflix, (insert Canadian bank) scams to extremely obvious fake URLs, these should not even be getting to us.

Hello @NorthVanMarty ,

I can certainly understand how annoying it is to receive these spam texts--I am also dealing with it, as well. 😞

Although, we are doing our best to get a good handle on this problem, it can be tricky to stay ahead of the curve when these scammers are constantly changing their tactics and continuously change their phone numbers. 

Rest assured, we are constantly looking for ways to improve and will continue to do so. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. 🙂

Kind regards,

RogersYasmine

uniqueusername
I plan to stick around

Constantly telling us it is hard when some of us manage email and web filtering solutions for a living kind of sad at this point (I know the community managers can't do anything this is a technical problem).

However if ANYTHING was being done we would stop seeing these low effort ones that are EASY to filter and we would start seeing more advanced ones.. 

I am 99% sure we could kill the Canada Post ones by blocking all canada post emails with a non .ca domain, and same goes for the CRA ones.

Netflix has very well defined domain names and so do all the Canadian banks, they are very consistent with their communication.

The fact that I was delivered a message claiming to be RBC security from a .ru domain is probably the most obvious evidences NO filtering is being done at all. That and maybe the  INTERAC e-Transfer from .kr.

Most of these emails center around major Canadian banks, or very common services like Netflix.. 

Rogers even investing a LITTLE in a URL inspection service that inspected the URLs for spoofing before delivery would cut this down.

uniqueusername
I plan to stick around

If you are on iOS Junkman: A.I. SMS Blocker it actually seems to work really well.. You have to take two steps to register it as a junk provider in OS but it runs fully local and so far has correctly blocked about  5/6 spam SMS messages for me in the last few weeks which is a huge improvement. 

Alikatu
I've been here awhile
Thank you for mentioning this App. I have installed it and paid the .99 for the bonus filtering. I am SO frustrated with the number of Spam texts I receive, and it seems like texting to “SPAM” does nothing (except for me to receive two more related text notifications that I have to delete). Even blocking a Sender is a three step process… and I’ve blocked hundreds in the last while… how much time have I spent having to report, delete related messages, and block the sender. Painstaking!!! Please make blocking and reporting one step. Hopefully Junkman will be my salvation!
Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 5 in conversation