cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Phone Scam

TimPearson
I've been here awhile

Hi Rogers and Community,

I've been receiving calls from a "promotional company" over the last 2 days representing Rogers, and tonight they offered 40% off my existing fees.  That's pretty significant, and the reason they said they were contacting everyone is that Rogers has lost 2 million customers to more competitive companies over the last 2 years... a big number, but I can see them losing customers due to their HIGH costs.  Rogers, are you listening?  You can do better!  But back to the scam...

A few things didn't seem right about the call... they didn't know my email address, and they wanted my birthday, which is when I started questioning them.  I gave them my email address, and they sent me an official looking email from Rogers Promotional.  I'd upload the email here, but the platform's not allowing it.  Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I personally think this is a scam because a) they didn't have my regular account information; b) they started asking for personal information; c) they had stupid names like "Smith"; d) the phone line connection was awful.  The one shred of misinformation that made me want to believe it is that they tried to sell it that Rogers was reducing prices to remain competitive, which I think they should.

Be careful out there, everyone!

Tim

**Labels edited**

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Rogers Phone Scam

Ahops27
I've been around

I received a similar call today, it struck me as strange but I played along because the deal sounds very good.  They lacked a lot of information which they kept asking me about and when I questioned them they kept telling me they are on a recorded rogers line and I need to cooperate with them to verify the account.  I was then asked if I had the rogers app on my phone and to log in so they could get the exact amount of the bill I paid last.  At that point I ended the conversation, but I have to say they were quit forward and convincing.  They were offering 30% off the bill no strings attached.... 

I hung up and called the phone number they called from and it was not assigned 

This just happened to me as well. They did like when I called them a scammer!

Happened to me also. Why isn’t Rogers being proactive to warn their customers?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have seen lots of advice and warnings about those scams on here. This is why I have not fallen victim to those scams

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 in conversation