cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Robo calls

NormEC
I'm here a lot

I have been receiving many Robo calls that even when answered still go to my voicemail.  Anyone else experiencing this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Robo calls

RogersCorey

Hi @NormEC!

I can confirm that I've noticed a recent increase in spam calls on my personal phone. 

Here's what we're doing about it: FAQs about Spam Call Detect | Rogers

Regards,

RogersCorey

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

RogersCorey

Hi @NormEC!

I can confirm that I've noticed a recent increase in spam calls on my personal phone. 

Here's what we're doing about it: FAQs about Spam Call Detect | Rogers

Regards,

RogersCorey

Thanks for the info Cory, but my question is how do these calls, even though I answer them still go to my voicemail.  I answer, after a few seconds, I  hang up.  I then see my voicemail indicating that there was a call. When I check, there is usually no one there.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@NormEC : If you are on the phone and another call comes in, it will usually go directly to voicemail, unless you have call waiting.  Are both calls from the same place? Can you tell?  Is this home phone or cell?  Most spammers will not leave a message when they reach voicemail, so you hear "nothing".  I never answer phone numbers unless they are in my directory.

NormEC
I'm here a lot

Ok, I guess I am not making myself clear.  I am not on any other calls.  Even though I answer a Robo call on my iPhone SE. the Robo call still goes to my voicemail.  This very annoying and just fills up my voice mail with unnecessary blank calls.  

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi NormEC,

From what I gather, the only way this could be possible is if the Robo caller was misconfigured and would happen to spam call your number consecutively, they would first call you, you would see an incoming call,  then they  would call you again right after, but since your phone has an incoming call, the next call goes right to your voicemail you will not see a call waiting indicator if the call happens when someone is already calling you,

This could be a possible explanation, but other than that I find it very strange as it has not happened to anyone else I have spoke with.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There has also been cases of people receiving voicemail messages and their phone does not even ring, but since your getting an incoming call always when this happens it leads me to believe my explanation is quite possible.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@NormEC wrote:

1. I am not on any other calls.  

2. Even though I answer a Robo call on my iPhone SE. the Robo call still goes to my voicemail. 

1. But you are using your phone as you state in your item 2.

2. When you are using your phone for a phone call, if another call comes in, it will go directly to voicemail.  The caller may not even hear a single ring at their end. The call goes directly to voicemail and there will not be the usual 20 second delay before going to voicemail.  Robo voicemails are usually blank as previously stated.

3. As mentioned by @Pauly the second call could be from the same robo caller.

4. I find that robo calls come in batches. I can go for a month and not see a single robo call, but then receive 5-10 in one day.

5. You didn't answer the questions in my previous post - Are both calls from the same place (spoofed number)? Can you tell?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I do not believe it is possible for a call to be answered and routed to voicemail at the exact same time,  without some sophisticated routing and planning.  Rogers system is very simple, if someone calls you and you do not answer the call or you have a call in progress or your phone is unreachable, your call is routed to the voicemail platform.

Either way, we can not easily stop these spam or robo calls so its best to learn how to avoid falling victim to being scammed and simply try not to answer unrecognised numbers when ever possible

NormEC
I'm here a lot

Thank you for your comments, so it appears I have some strange thing happening, so I will just not answer the calls, block them then delete them from my voice mail. What a pain. 

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

robo calls usually come and go, they affect everybody, including rogers customers like me and you, and even rogers employees are not immune to receiving robo calls,  yes probably even the CEO gets them too.

Me again, my phone has become almost unusable, Call after call after call from all over Canada and the US.  My voice mail is full at least twice per week with empty messages.  I need something that would only allow voice mails to be recorded if a voice is heard, or something that would require a selection to be made. 

We thank you for the update on the issue you are experiencing. Unfortunately, there would not be a way to implement that into the voicemails at this time. If you have not already, please refer to @RogersCorey post above on the Spam Call Detect feature. 

Thank you

RogersJermaine

Would a selection system be available that would answer the phone and allow the caller to select what to do ie press 1, ring the number,  press 2 leave a message or something like that.  The Robo call would  probably just hang up.  It’s got to point where I may have to change number which would be a really big inconvenience.

@NormEC such a system does exist for landlines hosted by VOIP providers.  Here's an example:

Block Spam Calls with VoIP.ms. - YouTube

So, what you would need is some form of virtual receptionist for your phone, android or iphone?  Do a google search for virtual receptionist, android receptionist, iphone receptionist or other terms that might lead you to an app which could be loaded and used to filter spam calls.  

Fwiw, personal opinion, if this can be done for landlines, there's probably no reason that it couldn't be done for cell phones.  It doesn't have to be hosted on the cell phone.  Hosting it within the phone providers phone network would cut down on the wasted cell phone transmit/receive time.  It would be interesting to know how much wasted air time is used every hour, every day by cell phone providers.  Cut down on that air time and maybe the cell phone providers might save money by reducing the capital required to expand their physical systems.   Food for thought for all cell phone providers ......

yes it would be interesting to know how much time is wasted, each call that goes to voice mail must use a lot of time.  I think my voice mail is 2 or 3 minutes, I get up to 20 calls in a day so that would use the system for up to an hour with no one talking. I use an iPhone so I will check and see if some smart coder has developed a cheap app. Rogers should be offering something.

Topic Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 in conversation