cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix for rooted device?

mnasr
I've been here awhile

Sorry my question is; I bought this phone rooted off of someone quite frankly I don't see any difference and the software is "glitchy" and I obviously can't do  software udates on Kies. So one of my questions is how do I bring it back to normal and if I can back up the rooted phone before I do so.

edited***Moved to start new thread and change subject line - RogersGina

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Fix for rooted device?

RogersRonak
Product Manager
Product Manager
once you root the device, the Factory Data Reset option is no longer available.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RogersRonak
Product Manager
Product Manager
once you root the device, the Factory Data Reset option is no longer available.

Smeelious
I'm a reliable contributor
Check the Manufacturers website for the phone. Try to download / install the latest firmware for Rogers.
Backing up your data on the phone may or may not work depending on the custom ROM that was installed.

Mathieu
I'm a trusted contributor
1 what's your phone?

A rooted devices means nothing.
You 'root' the Android operating system and/or unlock the device bootloader to install non-approved Android ROMs.

For instance you can have a "rooted" Galaxy Nexus and runs the official Google ROM.

They are various ways to re-install the stock "official" Android ROM on "rooted" devices but it's not easy and it depends a lot on the device.

I've done it on an HTC Nexus One and Samsung Galaxy Nexus but it's never easy and you always have to wipe the phone data and start fresh.

XBrav
I plan to stick around

Depending on the device, you can get a backup of the "stock" rom and reflash.

Which phone do you have?

mbazdell
I'm a trusted contributor
As mentioned, even though your phone is rooted, the ROM might still be stock. Depending on your phone you have a few options.

Find out how to get into Recovery, then wipe to factory default. That could bring you back to a non-rooted, stock ROM. If you do have another ROM, you can get a copy of the Rogers ROM off XDA. Lastly, Kies can sometimes revert your phone back to stock if you tell it to update, and then there's a check box on the screen that could force it to do a recovery or something like that.
Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 in conversation