cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enabling Passwords in Android for the Samsung Captivate II LTE

JGG
I plan to stick around

What do you recommend users do to prevent the OS settings on the phone being manipulated by someone with another phone?

Should settings in the OS be password enabled to prevent this and if so what passwords should be enabled are they?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Enabling Passwords in Android for the Samsung Captivate II LTE

RogersGina
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi JGG,

Ronak just stepped away to grab a bite but we missed your post before. We'll take a look in a few minutes.

Does anyone else have an answer?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RogersGina

Hi JGG,

Ronak just stepped away to grab a bite but we missed your post before. We'll take a look in a few minutes.

Does anyone else have an answer?

XBrav
I plan to stick around

I'm sorry if I am misunderstanding your question, but are you referring to encrypting user settings to prevent external users from remotely accessing your phone?

As far as I can tell, your phone doesn't have a telnet or ssh application running by default. Theoretically, the only way to access the phone remotely would be through the Advanced Debug Bridge via USB.

Can you please clarify your question?

Mathieu
I'm a trusted contributor
I'm not sure I understand the problem...
Do you mean that people can change your phone settings from their phone? That's not supposed to be possible!

If your phone is not rooted, Android app settings (including System settings) are private to each app and no one can read or change them.

Mathieu
I'm a trusted contributor
Some apps like Google Maps and Google Plus synchronize the Android app settings with website settings so if you change the settings on the website (or on another device), the change may be applied to the app settings.

JGG
I plan to stick around

Hi. Thanks for the response. Can you or someone explain how the changes due to syncing be done? Thanks.

XBrav
I plan to stick around

Are you concerned about someone accessing your google account?

JGG
I plan to stick around

There may be other passwords and encryption methods but here are 3 examples. Would seting some or all of these prevent settings being changed in the example giving in this topic - during syncing?

Settings > Location and security > Screen Unlock Settings > Set up screen lock >

Settings > Location and security >SIM card lock > Set up SIM card lock

Settings > Location and security > Set Password (Credential Storage Password)

Thank you

set up screen lock will lock your device screen and is not relevant to app syncing. SIM lock will lock your SIM card so that no one else can use it unless they know they PIN code. credential storage password is also not relevant to syncing with apps.
Security settings mentioned above (e.g. Google maps/Google+) are set by the user and it will only sync the permissions with the device that are given by the user.
Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 in conversation