cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easy Connect not popping up on first computer

tkens
I plan to stick around

Hi, I just picked up my new modem (new in box, was never used).  It's a CODA-4582U according to http://192.168.0.1.  I connected it to my two computers and printer via wired ethernet.  Easy Connect only pops up for the second computer, the first computer has anti-virus blocking and I can't get Easy Connect to show.  Internet works ok on both, but the phone tech told me I should set it up for a more stable internet connection.  Do I need to set Easy Connect on both computers?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Easy Connect not popping up on first computer

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@tkens  I wouldn't think that the modem would cause that.  I've been using this modem for two years now and I've never seen that.  

What you could do, if you wanted to run an experiment, is to run a factory reset.  Hold down the recessed reset button at the back of the modem for 30 seconds and release it.  That will initiate a factory reset and put the modem into its default Gateway operating mode with default parameters.  You would have to run thru the Easy Connect set-up routine again.  You can do the factory reset / set-up routine as many times as you want to, you won't damage the modem. Or, if you're satisfied with the modem operation, leave it in its current state. 

Can you log into the modem when you have time and check the Software (Firmware) version that is shown on the Status page.  That page is displayed automatically when you log into the modem.  You should be running 2.0.10.36T6.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

RogersZia

Good afternoon @tkens,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for your post 🙂.

Easy Connect is handy for setting up your modem so all devices are able to access it. You should be okay if you were able to set it up successfully on one of the computers. Additionally, Easy Connect enables you to set up your modem and Wi-Fi wirelessly using any Wi-Fi enabled device, if you're connecting via Ethernet,  no additional set up is required. 

Hope this helps.

RogersZia

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@tkens, just to clarify or add to @RogersZia's comment, the Easy Connect setup is a one shot process.  Once its done, its done.  The modem will not allow you to repeat the process unless you run a factory reset on the modem and as a result, you would then have to run thru that Easy Connect process once again, and only for a single time. 

After that process has completed, to make any changes to the modem's settings, you would need to log into the modem using 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1 to access the log in page.  If you flip the modem into Bridge mode, and install a router behind it, you can only use 192.168.100.1 to access the modem, and that can be done thru the router normally.  So, you don't have to rip your network apart to change the modem settings.  

tkens
I plan to stick around
Thanks for your help. So I guess I don't need to try and run Easy Connect on my main computer.

tkens
I plan to stick around
Thanks for the info. I am connecting directly to the modem, not through a router.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Nope, you don't have to try to rerun the Easy Connect setup, which the modem won't let you do anyways.  But, if you do need to change anything, you will have to log into the modem to make those changes.

You can also call tech support to change any of the settings as well. 

tkens
I plan to stick around
I noticed something though since installing this new modem. I seem to be double posting easily on a forum I visit frequently (Redflagdeals). I never had this issue before since I joined the forum in 2002, so I think it may be because of the modem swap. Any ideas that might help?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@tkens  I wouldn't think that the modem would cause that.  I've been using this modem for two years now and I've never seen that.  

What you could do, if you wanted to run an experiment, is to run a factory reset.  Hold down the recessed reset button at the back of the modem for 30 seconds and release it.  That will initiate a factory reset and put the modem into its default Gateway operating mode with default parameters.  You would have to run thru the Easy Connect set-up routine again.  You can do the factory reset / set-up routine as many times as you want to, you won't damage the modem. Or, if you're satisfied with the modem operation, leave it in its current state. 

Can you log into the modem when you have time and check the Software (Firmware) version that is shown on the Status page.  That page is displayed automatically when you log into the modem.  You should be running 2.0.10.36T6.

tkens
I plan to stick around
oh I am running Software Version 2.0.10.33T3.
What's the best way to update?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Normally when you reboot the modem there should be a firmware version check that runs.  If the modem firmware is out of date, it should update automatically.  Failing that, you should be able to ask tech support to push the firmware version or add your modem to the nightly update list. 

When you know that the firmware has updated, run another modem reboot.  That is found at ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot.  There is a reboot scheduled into the update, but, I've always found that another reboot or factory reset ensures that the modem operates as it should after a firmware update.  At the very least, run a reboot. 

The modem firmware updates for the various modem models are listed here:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/FEEDBACK-Rogers-Rocket-Wi-Fi-Modem-Firmware-Trial/m-p...

Edit:  I don't remember off the top of my head as to when the automatic firmware update was added.  Its possible that its not included in 33T3.  In that case, the modem firmware should be detected by the nightly sweeps that occur.  Don't know if Rogers manages to check every modem every night, or if the sweep is conducted region by region, throughout the week. 

tkens
I plan to stick around

I just checked my firmware again today, it automatically updated to 2.0.10.36T6  Smiley Happy

I did not even need to call in.  I just had to wait patiently for a few weeks.  Thanks for your help everyone!

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 3 in conversation