cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite Xi6-T box requires Wifi password each time it disconnects from Wifi extender

george_911
I've been here awhile

I am using my own wifi extender to provide wifi to a distant TV in my home where the main router signal does not reach. Every few weeks the power goes out or for some other reason the box loses the connection to the wifi extender and defaults back to the weak modem signal which of course is not strong enough and the TV does not work resulting in a family member calling me to fix the problem. Each time I have to go through the 9434 setup routine and have to re-enter the wifi extender password which is very inconvenient.

Is there a way to have the box default back to the wifi extender whenever it loses the wifi connection instead of the Rogers modem? and also a way to avoid having to re-enter the password the same way one does not have to enter the password any time a box reconnects to the original Rogers modem?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Ignite Xi6-T box requires Wifi password each time it disconnects from Wifi extender

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@george_911 : What happens if you simply reboot the box?  Does the Extender have the same SSID and password as the gateway?  If it does, then the box should automatically pick up the stronger signal and automatically login without a password?

Re: Ignite Xi6-T box requires Wifi password each time it disconnects from Wifi extender

george_911
I've been here awhile

Thanks for the advice 57. My wifi extender SSID is different than the gateway. It’s an older unit and If I remember correctly I had to name it with an _EXT to differentiate it from the main network. In any case I will have to go and find the instructions for the unit to see if it is scceptable  to name it the same SSID as the main gateway. 

In any case, so far there was some progress. Although simulating a dropped connection by turning off the extender then turning it back on then restarting the box using the A button method, does not result in it reconnecting to the extender, I find that I can bypass the password entry problem by reconnecting the extender using the 9434 method and then using the WPS button  method. This way, the password entry is not required.

As mentioned I will investigate if the SSID on the extender can be the same and then retest.

BTW, does using the Rogers wifi pods resolve this type of problem?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I do not recall hearing such issues with Pods, so I suspect they would function "properly".  I also had issues with WiFi at one end of my home. I always had my modem/router (even before IgniteTV) on the second floor of my home, in my office, where I have my desktop Mac Mini computer (and some other items) connected via Ethernet.

A few years back I purchased a TPLink PowerLine Adaptor (with WiFi) installing the other end in my basement, where I was having WiFi issues.  This worked well and also provided Ethernet in my basement for my MacBook  computer hooked up there to my TV.

When I switched to IgniteTV in March, I simply gave the Gateway the same SSID I had been using and all my (dozen or so) WiFi devices worked like before.  I was able to connect my basement IgniteTV box via Ethernet, which provides a solid connection.  My other "office" IgniteTV box works fine via WiFi since it's in the same room as my Gateway.

This also allows me to wander all over my home with my iPhone and iPad and they (seamlessly) pick up  the stronger signal wherever I go.  The PowerLine doesn't have the WiFi speed of the Gateway, but it functions well and I usually don't notice that I'm "only" getting 100 mpbs or so on it instead of several times that on the Gateway.

PowerLine doesn't work for everyone, but it works well for me.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@george_911 wrote:

BTW, does using the Rogers wifi pods resolve this type of problem?

The reason why this is happening is that when an Ignite set-top box loses network connectivity, it connects to a service on the Ignite Gateway to obtain the WiFi credentials for the in-home WiFi network that is configured in the Gateway, then it connects to Wi-Fi using those credentials... and that it why it reconnects to the Gateway.

Switching to Ignite WiFi Pods should prevent your problem from happening.  With Pods, they expand your WiFi coverage by forming a mesh network, so the same SSID/network name is used regardless of whether you connect through a Pod or connect directly through the Gateway.  If installed correctly, the Pods should also provide better performance than your range extender.  Also, if you walk through your home with a mobile device, it should provide a seamless handoff between the Gateway and Pod,.  With your current solution, you probably momentarily lose connectivity when your device hops from the Gateway to the range extender, or you find that the device tends to remain connected even if the WiFi connection is relatively poor.  With Pods, you should never need to disconnect/re-connect to WiFi to force your device to use the closest WiFi Access Point.

george_911
I've been here awhile

I was finally able to change the SSID of my wifi extender to be the same as the Rogers gateway. However after running a test, the Ignite box still defaults back to the weaker signal of the gateway and not to the wifi extender. I was going to go the Pods route to resolve the issue, but I see that Rogers is now charging a monthly fee for them so I think I now have a good excuse to move my gateway to a more central location in the house that should enable the gateway wifi signal to reach the TV in the distant bedroom. Thank you all for the advice. 

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation