cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stand-alone landline (not part of ignite bundle)

waegukin
I've been here awhile

Rogers keeps telling me that they no longer do stand-alone landline installations. But, if the cable/jack are already in the location (in this case, a nursing home) can I hook up a traditional phone with Rogers? After being told no, I went with a wireless phone, but my elderly mother would really prefer a landline, and I believe the infrastructure is already in the room. Thanks in advance for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Stand-alone landline (not part of ignite bundle)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Interesting that you need to arrange this separately. Most institutions have a commercial deal with the service provider and you need to go through the institution rather than contacting the service provider.

One item that can muddy the waters with Rogers is the fact that their legacy equipment/service is legacy digital cable.  They are phasing out this type of service over the years for IgniteTV service (IPTV), which is available as a bundle including TV, Internet, Home Phone.  However, the infrastructure and equipment in the home is different for IgniteTV.  Any "new" services must be IgniteTV and there are few exceptions. Perhaps that's what you're hearing. 

If you contact Rogers again, someone else may be able to provide additional technical and commercial information.  If you don't get a satisfactory response or explanation, ask to be escallated to "second level".  The first line CSRs can only do so much and typically are reading off a script, unless you get a veteran/good CSR.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You would need to contact the nursing home administration to find out who the service provider is at the home. For example, who provides the TV service?  You cannot usually deal with service providers directly at any institutions since all patients usually get the same service.  If the service provider is not Rogers, then you can't have a Rogers Home Phone (landline) because the infrastructure (required modems, etc.) would not be in place at the location.

If it is Rogers, again you'd need to contact the administration and deal with them on how to get a "landline" (if available).  What do other patients in the home have?

These things are usually discussed and handled when the patient enters the home.

waegukin
I've been here awhile

Thank you for the prompt reply. The internet is through Rogers and the home has said phones can be arranged through Bell or Rogers. I have already arranged cable tv through Rogers for her.

This was a sudden move and I live in Asia - am trying to handle all this from a distance. I am also paying for the services, which is why I was trying to handle it through Rogers directly.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Interesting that you need to arrange this separately. Most institutions have a commercial deal with the service provider and you need to go through the institution rather than contacting the service provider.

One item that can muddy the waters with Rogers is the fact that their legacy equipment/service is legacy digital cable.  They are phasing out this type of service over the years for IgniteTV service (IPTV), which is available as a bundle including TV, Internet, Home Phone.  However, the infrastructure and equipment in the home is different for IgniteTV.  Any "new" services must be IgniteTV and there are few exceptions. Perhaps that's what you're hearing. 

If you contact Rogers again, someone else may be able to provide additional technical and commercial information.  If you don't get a satisfactory response or explanation, ask to be escallated to "second level".  The first line CSRs can only do so much and typically are reading off a script, unless you get a veteran/good CSR.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation