cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old fart TRYING to buy a laptop that connects to cellular data signals

RAZZMATAZZ1963
I've been here awhile

I am old so bare with me. I need to get a laptop that connects to cellular data signals in areas where wifi is bad or not secure as I live in a motorhome and travel a lot in Canada and USA. I am TRYING to understand the LTE / 4G / 5G stuff so I know what to buy... getting a headache LOL. I have an android phone. 1) So, how does this work .. do I need another plan as Rogers staff have told me never get rid of my plan as its that good (got it years ago). 2) do I look for laptop with 4G and 5 G and LTE 3) Any advice ? I also want lit keyboard / long battery life / 32 RAM / 512 gB or 1 TB / connection for printer and lots of Thunderbolt C ports
Im reading get Ethernet RJ-45 Port if you have poor wifi and dual channel RAM ?/ 10 or 11 generation

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Old fart TRYING to buy a laptop that connects to cellular data signals

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Most phones today will allow you to connect a computer (by Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or a USB cable) for mobile Internet connectivity, so you can probably do this already without purchasing any new hardware.  Both Android and iOS allow you to configure Wi-Fi Hotspots:

https://support.google.com/android/answer/9059108?hl=en

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204023

SgtMac
I've been here awhile

Use your RogersPhone Plan to upgrade to an iPhone (NEW) and all of your problems will go away. I'm not kidding, just get a new apple phone through your rogers phone plan.......Rogers Customer care and Apple customer care will have you up and running quickly and you will save money while your aggravation melts away. I know you will argue the cost but I also know your problems will go away a lot faster and you will end up spending more any other way.....good luck

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

+1 for the iPhone.  I have even connected an Ignite TV set-top box to my iPhone so that my mum could watch her favourite shows during a long Internet outage.

However, the big downside to cellular Internet is the limited data available (unless you happen to have an unlimited data plan), overage costs, and the price of roaming when you travel to the USA.  Another option that you may want to investigate is Starlink, specifically Starlink RV.

SgtMac
I've been here awhile

One thing I noticed is that he moved around a lot and I figured that a new iPhone would offer more options since it can jump from cellular to wifi to hotspot quickly without having to learn a tech manual LOL 

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation