Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RandomZero
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers throttling/deprioritizing World of Warcraft

And yet here you are, completely oblivious to the fact that Rift and many other online games are currently affected by this same problem.

conjor
I Plan to Stick Around

Let's not let this thread lose steam. The issues are still there and many customers are still paying for an unusable service.

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Love how Rogers tries to drag things out.  Takes 1 month to write a 1 1/2 response to me & the CRTC.  Takes a few of us 1 week to write an 8 page response to CRTC/Rogers. 

Guess CRTC got tired of Rogers taking the full month to respond, despite having the answer weeks in advance.   CRTC gave them 2 weeks to respond why users are experiencing issues with gaming without P2P active.  Answer due April 22nd.

I find it funny tho..

http://thenextweb.com/ca/2011/03/31/world-of-warcraft-customers-want-rogers-fined-for-slowing-down-t...

They notice the problem with Skype too..

"We replied to the Rogers representative telling him that “in addition to my own issues, Leo Laporte from the TWiT network has mentioned many times during his show that when a guest is using Skype (with Rogers) the connection quality begins to degrade and often results in a disconnection.”   We additionally asked him if he was “100% sure Rogers has never affected the quality of Skype” and asked him if he would go on record stating that Rogers wasn’t affecting the Skype app.   We’ve yet to receive a reply back."

KingNerd
I Plan to Stick Around

I would like to add that it appears that Minecraft is also being throttled by Rogers.

I still need to do a bit more testing, but so far that's what my experimenting has concluded.

Have P2P on, cannot stay connected. Instant disconnection.

Turn P2P off, connect without an issue, play for a while, no problems.

Turn P2P on while still connected, instant disconnection.

Add on Rift's continued throttling.

World of Warcraft

Rift

Minecraft

Just my games personally, that are getting 'throttled'.

Ressy

As a recap:

These are the currently affected programs:

World of Warcraft

Starcraft 2

Diablo

Diablo 2

Rift

Minecraft

League of Legends

HoN

Skype ( http://thenextweb.com/ca/2011/03/31/world-of-warcraft-customers-want-rogers-fined-for-slowing-down-t... )

Note that as of today, they've only bothered to investigate WoW & Sc2, and are currently stating they can't find the cause of the problem with SC2.

http://twitter.com/#!/RogersElise/status/57866760828891137

And despite all of us posting on here affected games, they had 'no clue' about other affected games.

Pyrium
I've Been Here Awhile

SC2 is affected. And wow to some degree (depending on which server you're on) likely due to the way blizzard does updates through torrents.

Other things recently affected ( <2 months) are tv shows streaming from global and occassionally cbc. The stream will cut out and have to rebuffer.

*sigh*

Ressy

Pyrium...

Wow is NOT being affected because of its updates via torrent.  There have been NO updates for wow since February.  No updates from February = something else causing the throttle.

GL telling Rogers about it though.. They don't want to listen.

RogersReggie for example closes the ITMP support chats after you tell him x game doesn't use p2p and shouldn't be throttled.  I've seen 2 chat logs now where he's done this.  I do believe another user went to the Office of the president at Rogers over him doing this.

This ENTIRELY because of Rogers throttling the user's entire connection while p2p is active, and only whitelisting stuff they're not allowed to touch.

Incidentally, youtube is affected too...

1 computer torrenting.

1 computer youtube.  Youtube dies from constant buffering.

Not 5 mins later:

1 computer torrenting.

1 computer turns on VPN, and hooks up to youtube.  Youtube runs perfectly.

KingNerd
I Plan to Stick Around

I don't have significant proof, but I also believe that Comedy Network's streams and also Steam download are being affected.

My Rogers connection is pretty much completely worthless at this point as nearly everything gets blocked.

I have to use a VPN now to do anything online that isn't P2P.

RandomZero
I Plan to Stick Around

I went to the office of the president regarding this issue back in Nov/Dec. I was promised a callback from multiple people, however I'm still waiting..

Grif
I've Been Here Awhile

I just got Teksavvy in my area. Is anyone who has it too having any problems with WoW