How to confirm my iPhone 3GS is unlocked?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: How to confirm my iPhone 3GS is unlocked?

Hello scarey1

You most likely picked Rogers as the carrier. When it says that, it just means the phone is on the Rogers network.
I've Been Here Awhile

So does that mean it's not unlocked?  I don't want to wait until I go to Europe and try to get a SIM card there and find that it won't work. 

Should I do a factory restart again? 

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello scarey1

Try doing a factory reset and go threw iTunes. If iTunes shows the phone as unlocked, then that means its unlocked. You can always try a friends / coworkers sim card with another carrier to test it. You can also go to a cellphone shop and have them add a sim card from another carrier to see if its unlocked. I doubt iTunes would say its unlocked and the phone being locked tho. That has never happened.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

yeah the best way is to pop in a non rogers sim card to get the answer. its easy just pop into any cellphone shop and wala.

I'm Here A Lot

Hi,

I'm from Germany. I bought an iphone 3gs for my son.

But unfortunately it's with rogers locking.

If I  use an Rogers SIM,  can I unlock this iphone for $50 ?

regards

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello camelon

In order to get the phone unlocked, the Phone must be active on a Rogers account & you must be the first owner of the phone.

if you are not, Rogers will not unlock it for you.
I'm Here A Lot

Hello Meowmix

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello camelon

If you bought it from Apple, it should be unlocked. Are you the first owner of the phone? If you are, you should be able to add the iPhone IMEI number on your Rogers account & have them unlock it for you.

If you bought the phone second hand, Rogers can not do anything as their policy is this.

You can try & contact Rogers unlocking team & see if they can do it for you tho, its worth a shot!
I'm Here A Lot

Hi,

I bought it second hand. But that was without some  functions.

So I went to Apple Store and they gave me a new one instead to repair second hand one.

It's refurbished, production year / week 2012 / 52 and not activated.

What do you think?

Regards

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello camelon

It could well be unlocked BUT in order to see, is get someone else sim card from another carrier & test it out. If it rejects it, that means its locked to Rogers.

When Apple gives you a refurbished iPhone & takes yours, they will give you one that is locked to the carrier that previous iPhone was locked in.