8300HD PVR Malfunctioning

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

8300HD PVR Malfunctioning

Hey Rogers experts out there.  I have a problem, and I'll try to provide as much info as possible.

I have an explorer 8300 HD PVR that is a purchased unit, but NOT regestered to my account currently (shouldn't matter).  I have a lot of experience with these boxes (all explorer models) and know that typically once you connect the cable to the input of the box, and power it up, it should still go through its POST and boot up normally, but instead of getting the clock on the front display, you should see 4 dashes (called brick mode, ---- ) and you should see a "Box Not Authorized, Pls call Rogers" message on screen.  At this point its ready to be regestered and activated through Rogers.

Heres my problem.  I cannot get to this stage.  When I connect my box, it goes through a download cycle (starts with rxxx, and does countdown). When it gets to r000 it says "Boot" on the front display, then the 1080i (output res) shows up, a second later, the 720p shows up... a second or two late the 480p shows up..... and then nothing happens for about 8 minutes and the box will reboot itself and repeats the same pattern listed above.  If I press the power button during this time, the last output resolution will come on and off with the power button... it will show 480i (which flicks on/off as I press power).  The box will also sometimes show ER50 and then start its boot cycle.

As stated this box is a purchased box, and returning to Rogers for a swap is not an option.  Obviously I know there is a problem and am looking for any links or help in troubleshooting this issue.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: 8300HD PVR Malfunctioning

Hopefully one of the more experienced 8300 current users can pop in more to help (I am now more familiar with the 8642).

If it has not been plugged in for quite a while.. i know within the last year, there was i beleive 2 if not more updates for the box..

I am wondering, if it is somehow trying to get these updates (even though not registered)?  The countdown part, does seem familiar to the issue some were having when getting the updates on their 8300s.

Hopefuly someone else can confirm this, or have a different idea as to what it is.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Agreed.  The countdown is normal and should happen regardless of weather the box is regestered or not.  I've had plenty of boxes that have not been connected for over a year, and as soon as they are connected with RF and powered up, the updates begin. At the end of the updates, it should resume to brick mode.  Unfortunately all its doing is showing the output formats, and nothing else.

I've Been Around

8300 HD display counting continuously

My PVR 8300 HD display keeps counting and will not operate. Does anyone know how to fix it?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rogojinaru:

These units are pretty old and I suspect an internal hard drive failure.  It's possible to replace the iHDD, however, it may not be worth it.  Here's a thread explaining how to replace the drive if you can do it yourself. If you can't, it's probably not worth paying someone to fix it.  Read the first few and last few pages.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/15719-sa8000-8300hd-internal-ha...

Try a few more reboots to see if that helps. Also, do you have any other STBs in the home where you can check the signal?  If the signal in your home or in your neighbourhood is not good, it may not boot properly.    You can call Rogers and they can check the signal in your home and in your neighbourhood remotely while you're on the line.  Usually these boxes will boot and perform as a STB if you have a good signal, but will then not perform as a PVR if the iHDD has failed.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

Checking the SA8300HD signal (different from the Navigatr firmware):

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/17719-57-faq-tips-sa-cisco-stbs-also-pace.h...

Try providing more information than one line in your next post.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I would also suggest more re-boots. The other day I rebooted mine in an attempt to get Manage PVR to work on the web.  It took a long time to update the IPG and eventually came up with this screen:

not ready.jpg

I don't know how many minutes "one moment" is, but I got tired of waiting. I turned the box off and on again and all was fine.  I suppose I'm living on borrowed time with this refurbished PVR I bought 4 years ago, but I do have a replacement HD stashed away if this one ever fails.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers TV Updates...3 last night!!!

Last night (Nov.20, 2017) my SA 8300HD PVR(owned) had 3 updates. My wife and I were watching recordings when the TV froze as did the remote. Then the box would shut down and "reboot" would show on the box. Of course after the update and turning both the TV and box back on everything was fine. That was at around 10 pm.

At about 11:30pm it updated again, same as the first. At around 2:15am another update occurred. Really 3 updates in less than 6 hours?? 

I have had a number of 2X updates in the evening and early morning of the same day in the past few weeks.

Why am I getting all of these updates. Many are in the prime time hours in the evening, disturbing PVR recordings as well as watching regular TV programming. I'm really getting tired of the TV freezing and the box shutting off and causing recordings to have missing time and messed up a show that will not be replayed at any other time in the near future. Yes, I have time shifting, but if the program is a one time thing then I'm out of luck. A billion dollar company really needs to start taking care of their clients or the obvious is going to happen. I have had cable since the first day it was developed in Oshawa, but lately I've just about had enough. The Cable TV of Rogers' business has gone down a terrible slope in the last few years and no one seems to give a darn!!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@cokeybil :  Your SA8300HD is very old and could be failing. Either the hard drive or something else internally - capacitors, etc?  Electronics don't last forever. The date of manufacture is either on the back or the bottom of the unit and you'll probably find it's over 10 years old. 

Please see post 5 of this thread.  It could also be a signal issue that is causing the reboots.  A poor signal in your home or in your neighbourhood is the cause of many such issues.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks 57, Is that a Heinz thing or ...I'm 63(lol). This update reboot has been going on for at 6 months, but everything else works 100%. I had a signal test by a techy about 2 years ago and he put in new cable and a new  splitter at the wall feed and it was fine. I know early morning updates occur, but I've "never" had a reboot occur between the early morning say 6am to 8 pm in the evening. That can only mean it is not the HDD or the reboot would have to at least happened once at a random time like 2, 3, or 4 pm. All are fairly close to 10pm and the regular 2-3 am. I know the 8300 is old but sometimes they can last for quite a while too. I bought it new when Rogers still had a store renting movies for VCRs at $3.99...ugh!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@cokeybil wrote:

...I had a signal test by a techy about 2 years ago...

Still recommend calling to have your signal tested in your home and neighbourhood - they can check it remotely.  Or you can diagnose yourself using the link in post 5.  Sometimes as temperatures drop, or as more people use the service, a marginal signal may affect the service.

For me, my 8300HD never reboots.  Mine gets the new guide information at midnight and I can hear the iHDD activity when this happens at 12 midnight for about 10 minutes.

One other possibility is poor power.  I always recommend having a PVR on a UPS.