cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Rogers Phishing scam on Mobile

GaryD
I plan to stick around

There is a new text message scam coming out of various phone numbers from a suspected Rogers mobile text message.  The message body contains your mobile number but does not include any other profile or amount that you are required to pay.  Rogers from my over 20 years of their service does not text message with a phone  number at the header nor do they not include an amount to pay.  

Text from:   12363333865

FreeRogersMsg 

Hi!   1 XX9 9XX-XXXX.

We encountered an issue with your latest payment, and it remains unresolved.  To prevent any service interruptions please visit   myrogers1-mobileplan-bill.net/?en  to address this matter.  Thank you for your prompt attention. 

MMS 6:32pm

The phone number seems to be originating from British Columbia area code but upon further inspection the URL does not match any Canadian based ISP.  In fact the ISP is registered to CloudFlare in the United States and upon further inspection the IP address has two locations in Ontario and several in the United States.  I have a feeling this scammer  is using fake phone numbers and a VPN or has several people working from different locations using the same ISP.  The previous text message involves the same message body but a different phone number originating from Texas, I guess Rogers really is becoming global ( sarcasm LOL ).

*Added Labels*

2 REPLIES 2

Re: New Rogers Phishing scam on Mobile

LordDrakkon
I'm a trusted contributor

I have seen similar, saying there is an Interac eTransfer waiting for me from various BC numbers.  I just block them.  I don't personally use anything like that but also a little common sense makes recognizing these scams fairly easy to someone that works with a lot of tech for work.  The numbers are spoofed, which makes tracking them almost impossible.  The global telecom systems are so old, they literally need to be reinvented in a way that would at least make spoofing a number a lot harder than it actually is.  

Re: New Rogers Phishing scam on Mobile

GaryD
I plan to stick around

Of course you just don't click on these things I'm quite aware LordDrakkon  I've been using computers since the late 80s and the internet in the early 90s.  These amateurs think they can fool tech savvy people like us, but there are many who fall for the trap and do click.  I want to make sure everyone is aware of this one looks legitimate but any Text Message from Rogers does not have a phone number in fact it only says Rogers on the header of the message body, and they certainly don't start with Hi!     The ISP of these had several location and using the CloudFlare ISP from the US of course there is also a trail back into Canada.  The IP location locks it in from San Franciso Bay area all the way to a Toronto Suburb and downtown location.  It seems to have bounced from the US to Toronto using a British Columbia phone number.   I took the URL link and did a backwards URL lookup and used a Incognito browser to click the link.  

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 in conversation