cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1-800 numbers dialed from Rogers mobile forwarded to a fraudulent business

Yyzguy2
I'm here a lot

On Tuesday, September 6/22 multiple 1-800 numbers i tried to dial out on my mobile phone all went to another recipient, i.e. Recorded message asked if over 50 press 1, special offer, etc. and they were trying to sell some medical alert device.  I tried one 800 number a couple of times for a u.s. company and both times same thing and i just hung up,  tried a couple of different business 1-800 numbers in Canada (i.e. TMX Trust) and call routed to same scam.  Only when dialing the long distance direct number could I get through to these business's.  Today I tried the same 1-800 numbers and all fine. So, what the heck is going on or happened yesterday?  Was the Rogers mobile network hacked somehow and redirecting 1-800 calls?  Is my phone itself hacked somehow?

Any and all assistance and suggestions are appreciated.

***EDITED LABELS***

10 REPLIES 10

Re: 1-800 numbers dialed from Rogers mobile forwarded to a fraudulent business

RogersTony

Hello, @Yyzguy2

Thank you for posting your concerns to the community.

The issue that you are describing is a strange one and one that we have not encountered before.

We have not been advised of any known issues on our network pertaining to this. Are there any other users in the community who experienced a similar issue?

Did you try reaching out to any of our support teams on the day in question to report the issues you were having? We would need to see if we can replicate the issue which would be difficult now that it is not happening. If you notice this again please contact our support teams via any of the methods listed here so we can investigate it while it is happening and find a solution for you.

RogersTony

yes i experienced the same @ 14:58 EST when calling Rogers....it did the exact same thing...press 1 then a very fast talking live agent came on...when questioned the agent simply talked over me and passed me to another agent...same thing i told em to hold up n bam passed again...at this point i hung up.

Exactly, when a person did get on the phone they just launched into there sales job and you couldn't even interupt them or if you did they didn't respond and just started talking again on their script.  I think it's a case of maybe Rogers being hacked and 1-800 numbers being redirected but Rogers of course would never admit to that.  I would say it could be the business's who's numbers are hacked but I tried multiple business's and 1-800 numbers and all had the same issue which leads me to believe it's Rogers that has been hacked in these cases.

LaurieMCC
I've been around

My mother and I had the same experience last week. We called the number listed on the back of her Rogers Cable bill because she wanted to change her cable package. We immediately got the Welcome to Rogers message saying they were offering a special deal to anyone over 50 who wanted to get a medical alert button. Pressing 1 was the only option.  She's 90 and thought that would be a great idea. We pressed 1 and got the exact same message, then were put on hold. I had to leave her place but she tried again later on her own using the same number on the back of her bill. She got the same message and ended up speaking with someone and signing up. They told her they couldn't help her with her cable bill and to call again. She did, got the expected "choose from the following menu" message and connected with an agent who changed her cable bill. They didn't know anything about a medical alert button and said nothing showed on her file about it. We went to the bank to dispute the charge that had been put through on her credit card and get her a new card. So the weird thing about this is that sometimes the number went through to Rogers correctly and sometimes it seems to get hijacked to this scam medical alert. Same number in both cases.

BillMCC
I've been here awhile

I've looked a bit at the links you have provided (thank you) but not in too much detail.  What I guess I still don't understand is how a call that I have dialed outbound to a 1-800 number that belongs to company xyz end up getting routed or intercepted by these scammers?  I can try company ABC's number and same result and then the next day I try the exact same numbers and they go through to the proper company that I am dialing and expecting to answer.  And I am being very careful in my number entry.  That said I think the articles in the links say that if you get 1 number wrong on your number more than likely that will end up getting routed to a scammer.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One way to test to see if it's a misdial issue is to programme the number into the phone's directory and see if the correct number ever goes in the wrong direction.

Or try misdialling on purpose?

BillMCC
I've been here awhile

Yes, same. Called Rogers four times using the number on the back of my bill. Twice it went to Rogers and twice it went to what I thought was Rogers but was actually this Life Protect company. I'm hoping someone at Rogers is looking into this. @RogersTony?

BillMCC
I've been here awhile

For the record, I don't think they ever identify themselves in the call (I haven't listened to the whole Youtube clip). I only know the name of the company because I received the equipment when I signed up thinking it was Rogers. So it's definitely not apparent that you aren't talking to Rogers after dialing the Rogers number.

I have the same issue when dialing 800 numbers. I can't get through to whom I am calling. My calls are being hijacked. What is going on?

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 in conversation