LTE & NFC

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Contributor

LTE & NFC

How does LTE affect the performance of NFC technology? Is there a large difference in the time it'll take to process a transaction when on 3G vs LTE? 

Solved! Go to Solution.
Product Manager
Product Manager

Re: LTE & NFC

Great question James!

NFC is really a proximity service similar to Bluetooth, but more secure obviously, so when you make a payment at a retail locationit will not utilize your data connection for the payment. Think of this as having a real plastic card on your phone, but in a digital format.

I'm a Senior Contributor

So does that mean NFC will work for those without a data plan if NFC doesn't use an internet connection? 

Product Manager
Product Manager

You will need an active data connection to get the card on to the mobile device, but once its there you can use it at a retail location without utilizing the mobile data conenction.

So essentially you have 2 stages to getting an active service

1. Download the card from your bank

2. Start using the card at your local store

Does this clarify?

J

I'm a Senior Contributor

Thank you, it does clarify.

I am still a bit confused though as to how, without an active internet connection, NFC communicates with a bank to verify available funds prior to authorizing the transaction. Could you help me understand that?

Product Manager
Product Manager

The retailer will need to have their own internect connection to process the transaction, but it will not rely on the mobile device.

When you use the mobile phone at a retail location, the Point of Sale (POS) terminal, which is where you insert or swipe your credit cards and debit cards today, will securely grab the data and use the internet connection that the retailer have in place already today. Keep asking me more Q's if it helps clarify!

J

I've Been Around

So the NFC enabled sim would work on the lte network too? I know you need a seperate nano sim for lte, but Would this NFC sim work for NFC and late both.
Also, would the simply tap app work with an unlocked android device running jelly bean and supports NFC.

Thnx
Highlighted
Retired Moderator RogersAlicia
Retired Moderator

The scope of support for unlocked devices is limited, so we cannot comment on compatibility with the app. However, as for the NFC enabled sim, yes it would work on the LTE network as well Smiley Happy

RogersAlicia

Coming on PPV!
Real Madrid vs. Atlético (Athletic) Bilbao Live
LIVE: Saturday April 21, 2019 10AM ET
Countdown: 8:00 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499 | 391 (beIN English) 392 (beIN Spanish)
Price: $5.99 (HD) | $5.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $5.99 | (beIN subscription $14.99/mo.)
Ignite TV & DTV customers can order now!

Real Madrid faces Athletic Bilbao in a regular la liga league soccer match. Subscribe to beIN Sports for $14.99/mo. to get the game and more La Liga and international Sporting events.

Crawford vs. Khan Live
LIVE: Saturday April 20, 2019 9PM ET
Countdown: 8:00 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $79.99 (HD) | $74.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $79.99
Ignite TV & DTV customers can order now!

Undefeated virtuoso Terence "Bud" Crawford (34-0, 25 KOs) will defend his welterweight world title against British boxing royalty Amir "King" Khan (33-4, 20 KOs) in a collision of superstars.

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation