You must update your Rogers email account settings

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You must update your Rogers email account settings

I got an e-mail on one of my e-mail accounts this morning. Interestingly I only got it on one of our accounts, not the other three accounts that my wife and I have.

At first I thought it was phishing, but it appears that people who use certain e-mail clients (like Outlook) will have to reconfigure those clients for a "new password" (app password).  Webmail  doesn't appear to require the change. 

The e-mail states:

Important: You must update your Rogers email account settings.

Protecting your data is as important to us as it is to you. Rogers is making several security upgrades and implementing a new authentication system to further protect you and your data.

Rogers requires you to update your email settings to continue using your email account.

It only takes a few minutes of your time to ensure you have uninterrupted access to your email.

There is a link as follows indicating the people who need to do this, as well as instructions on how to do it:

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/internet/email/442

Please excuse me if this is discussed elsewhere. I did try searching and didn't find a thread on this specific topic.

***EDITED LABELS***

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: You must update your Rogers email account settings

Thanks for your post -- I got the same rogers email & was wondering if it was a scam

I've Been Here Awhile

Important: You must update your Rogers email account settings.

Message follows this headline in email received today, 2017 05 08

I'm assuming it's spam unless I hear otherwise.

Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BiblioBob:

It's not spam, or phishing, as discussed in post 1 of this thread.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks

I've Been Here Awhile

I don't understand how a randomly generated password from some app I'm supposed to trust is "updating my email account settings" other than getting me to use a password that I didn't select myself.

I'm Here A Lot

Thunderbird isn't specifically on the list of mail clients that need to update.   I realize that they can't list all clients, but since I use it I assume lots of others do too [self-deprecation].    Anyone know if this applys to Thunderbird?

I Plan to Stick Around

@ti3 wrote:

I don't understand how a randomly generated password from some app I'm supposed to trust is "updating my email account settings" other than getting me to use a password that I didn't select myself.

Exactly. Also, what happens if I want to use two different Clients on two different devices. Will one of them now not work? It seems Rogers is just pushing everyone to use other e-mail services.

I've Been Here Awhile

Very HARD to understand why Rogers is again making it more difficult for us to use their services - that sure ain't cheap...............Smiley Frustrated

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I dont think its completely about 'diffuculty'.. moreso, to make it SECURE.

Often for a lot of services, to be able to make the most secure, etc.. as much as being something on the BACK end, its often something as simple as brute force/common passwords, or obtaining passwords through malware, etc.

To help prevent these sorts of intrustions.. there are often EXTRA steps that need to be taken to log in, SAFELY.
My google account, as well as many other services.. i have enabled 2 factor authentication.  Requires as well as user name and password, a 6+ digit code that is on a device that only is/should be accessible by me.

Is it a pain, and takes extra steps/time to log in? Yup.  But also ensures that the account is secure.

Even many major game companies like Blizzard offer the same things... the amount of time you ALWAYS see people complain about being HACKED, they always do NOT have 2 factor authentication on.