IP address wrong location

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

IP address wrong location

I logged into steam and it said my ip was in mississauga ontario...I also checked what is my ip adtress in google and it also said mississauga ontario......... I live in Saint John NB.

Is there a problem, Should I be worried?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: IP address wrong location

No.
Often that can be where the ip is REGISTERED to.. not necessarily your PHSICAL location.

IPs often have a GEOip location with them, which is more to where you normaly are.. but they are not always updated.
Rogers has a large set of IP addresses, and you could get assigned one that was from here.

Overall, nothing big to worry about.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the help, that's what I was thinking but wasn't sure..Thanks.

I'm Here A Lot

About a week ago, maps.google.ca switched from showing the Ottawa area to showing the London area. I didn't make much of it until a few days later when I went to an IP Geolocation site and was told that my IP address (starting with 174... as opposed to 99 before) was in Guelph. Actually most IP location sites had me in Guelph which is over 500km away. I called Rogers but their first CSR, after perforning several disgnostics on my HItron modem including rebooting it a couple of times and confirming that I had a Guelph IP address said there was nothing more that she could do and did not escalate it. I asked some people who are also Rogers Ottawa subscribers to check their setups. One person, who lives in the west end of the city has an IP address appropriate to his location. However, someone else, who lives three streets away is also identified as being in Guelph so it can't be my confined to my modem. I called Rogers again today and the recommended solution was to get a new modem on the belief that the current one spent time in Guelph in the past and a year of normal activity suddenly went rogue. A new Hitron modem would get a new address. Has anybody else in Ottawa (or more specially Ottawa East) experienced this issue. Google Maps seems to have mitigated the issue somewhat and now opens up almost correctly.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@fireborne wrote:

About a week ago, maps.google.ca switched from showing the Ottawa area to showing the London area. I didn't make much of it until a few days later when I went to an IP Geolocation site and was told that my IP address (starting with 174... as opposed to 99 before) was in Guelph. Actually most IP location sites had me in Guelph which is over 500km away. I called Rogers but their first CSR, after perforning several disgnostics on my HItron modem including rebooting it a couple of times and confirming that I had a Guelph IP address said there was nothing more that she could do and did not escalate it. I asked some people who are also Rogers Ottawa subscribers to check their setups. One person, who lives in the west end of the city has an IP address appropriate to his location. However, someone else, who lives three streets away is also identified as being in Guelph so it can't be my confined to my modem. I called Rogers again today and the recommended solution was to get a new modem on the belief that the current one spent time in Guelph in the past and a year of normal activity suddenly went rogue. A new Hitron modem would get a new address. Has anybody else in Ottawa (or more specially Ottawa East) experienced this issue. Google Maps seems to have mitigated the issue somewhat and now opens up almost correctly.

Okay, this is plain ridiculous. The suggestion to get a new modem is nearly insane (but might work if you run in gateway mode and your new modem gets an IP in a different subnet as a result). 

You have a "Guelph" IP address because some subnets got moved around and the geolocation databases haven't updated. That's normal when Rogers splits nodes... 

I feel like I wrote a big post about this in an earlier thread, but fundamentally, geolocation is... one of those things I would have considered nearly impossible 15 years ago. Instead, some very clever people have figured out all kinds of ways to aggregate various data (GPS from smartphones, neighbouring wifi access points' MAC addresses, possibly even patterns in your searches) and map out shockingly precisely the physical location of both a single IP address and a subnet. 

This essentially happens without any involvement by the ISP; it's not like Rogers goes and tells all those people 'this subnet is Guelph, this is Ottawa East', etc... so when the provider makes network changes, etc, oops. Things will be out of whack until the geolocation providers collect enough data to conclude that their earlier conclusion about an IP's physical location is no longer accurate. 

Same thing if you move: some geolocation services took weeks to update after I moved... because they were basing themselves on my wifi access point's MAC. How were they supposed to know that that access point was now a few kilometers away from where they thought it was?

My suggestion: if you have a smartphone or other device with GPS, make sure it's on your wifi, and start using it for a little while with Google Maps. I expect that that might start the process of Google collecting enough information to be like 'wait a second... that IP is somewhere else'. 

I've Been Around

Hi - I live near Conroy and Johnston in southeast Ottawa and I'm being located on queries as if I am in Barrie.   Haven't contacted Rogers yet - tried restarting the modem  - still in says its in Barrie. The ip query also reveals it as an ip owned by Rogers and located in Barrie

my biggest concern was someone was hacking in and stealing bandwidth I'm paying for.  Friggin Rogers . 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@407 wrote:

Hi - I live near Conroy and Johnston in southeast Ottawa and I'm being located on queries as if I am in Barrie.   Haven't contacted Rogers yet - tried restarting the modem  - still in says its in Barrie. The ip query also reveals it as an ip owned by Rogers and located in Barrie

my biggest concern was someone was hacking in and stealing bandwidth I'm paying for.  Friggin Rogers . 

Don't worry about it - read the previous responses above. (And don't call tech support - I am sure this is outside their standard training and so... who knows what wild goose chases you may get sent on.) 

Honestly, I feel like a whole number of IP blocks were moved around, perhaps because of the network upgrades to enable the gigabit service. _I_ certainly got renumbered, and while I think the geolocation services have remained accurate, the WHOIS data (which no one should be relying on for geolocation, but I think that's what you mean by "IP query") has my new subnet as being assigned to "MTMC" (the old Shaw headend on McNicoll in Scarborough) which is not exactly where I am... 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I got a new IP a week or two ago, so it is likely that they were moving them arround/re-assigning as they were doing the upgrades.

Other than as a 'rough' location (assuming its updated with the changes), GEO-IP really has no use.. and wont make any difference on usages, etc.  (usage is all tracked off the modems MAC address.. not IP)

I Plan to Stick Around

Same issue here.  I live in Ottawa South.  All my webpages and city locations now point to Markham Ontario.  I google "Best Buy" and web locations for this store show Markham locations.  Same thing if I google "VW".  I now get dealerships in the Markham area.  Previously, everything pointed to Ottawa.

Called Rogers and they opened a ticket with Technical Support who will look into this.

I reset my modem and re-installed from scratch.  Same issue.

I connected my ethernet cable directly into my modem and bypassed the router all together just to see if it was the router causing the issue.  No luck.  Still everything points to Markham.

I'm guessing something changed on the Rogers side because I did nothing on my end to cause this.

If you get your issue resolved, please let us know.

Thanks.

I've Been Around

I have the same isue.

I live in Durham Region and my ip address is usually Ajax or Oshawa, which is fine.

However, the other day it got changed to Ottawa.

Extremely annoying, as every time I do a search on Google I mostly get Ottawa businesses that come up.

Ottawa is 5 hours away from me.

Frustrating

Coming on PPV!
Spence vs. Garcia Live
LIVE: Saturday March 16, 2019 9PM ET
Preshow: 8:00 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
Ignite TV customers can order as of March 13
DTV Customers can order as of March 14
Spence vs. Garcia Promo

IBF welterweight world Champion Errol Spence Jr. (24-0, 21 KOs) will defend his belt against four-division world champion and current WBC lightweight titlist Mikey Garcia (39-0, 30 KOs), who will move up two weight divisions to go for a world title in a fifth division in a meeting between two of boxing’s elite pound-for-pound best in the world.

Topic Stats