No VPN connection possible using new Rogers Ignite Cable Modem/Router

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: No VPN connection possible using new Rogers Ignite Cable Modem/Router

I looked in the modem settings but I didn't see any VPN settings.   Maybe someone could post more info regarding these settings.

Anyone in the Community with experience working with VPNs willing to continue to weigh in on this? Unfortunately, VPN issues are typically unsupported by us at Rogers and the basics have already been covered.

I hope you're able to find a solution for this @pitfall21! If you do find one out on your own, please share it with us here. Thanks!

Regards,

RogersCorey

I Plan to Stick Around

What VPN standards are being blocked?  OK, we don't know that they're being blocked, so let me rephrase the question: those of you who are having VPN-only trouble, what standard are you using?

IPSec would be one choice (actually two choices: IKEv1 and IKEv2).  OpenVPN or other TLS or SSL based mechanism would be another.  And then there are random proprietary protocols.

My impression is that "VPN Passthrough" is to be avoided.  It mutates packets and that's something that can cause security code might treat as enemy action.  But my experience with this is quite old.

I've Been Here Awhile

I want to put in a couple of points here as well. I've been dealing with RDP / VPN issues for the last several months. Not sure what happened.  We connect to the office via a global VPN connection that connects to a SonicWALL hardware device, has worked great for years. One day it just started giving us issues. The VPN connects fine as usual, but RDP is hit and miss. It seems like packets are missing/being dropped. Not sure. So I switched the rogers router to modem only mode hoping that would help. It made no difference. Just to make sure it was the Rogers connection I ran a wifi session from my phones hot spot and it worked perfectly every time. Once I switched back to the home roger modem, I still have issues. We even installed another SonicWALL device at our hose and now have a tunnel going from our place to the office and continue to have problems.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I am running out of ideas.

I've Been Around

I have to say, I'm truly disgusted in Rogers this time.

They called me up (claiming it wasn't a sales call) and told me they would offer me 150gbps serivce for about the same price, plus some tv channels, as part of the ignite package.  It would only cost me 50$ setup fee.

Now, with this new modem, I can't get my VPN connection to my office connecting.

We use it to float a license for compositing software from work to home and back again.

I can no longer work from home.  I called Rogers and explained (their tech support first asked me "what's a VPN"...I'm not kidding)  I don't think there is a way around this.

I asked them to negate the procedure....give me my old modem back.  Yes, it can be done, but I would be considered a new customer, and lose any loyalty deal I may be getting.  So, basically, I can't take it back.

This is a new low, Rogers.  You've sold me on hardware that does NOT work like the previous hardware did, and I can't go back without losing money.   

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@matt_gold1 this sounds painful.  Not that I can help, but, can you have a look at the bottom of the modem and see if its an Arris or Technicolour modem.  

There are two versions of the XB6, an Arris  version which is an Intel Puma 7 modem, and a Technicolour version which is a Broadcom BCM-3390 modem.  I expect the Broadcom modem to be a better modem, but, the jury is still out on both modem for VPN performance.  Historically, with the Hitron Puma modems, VPNs have either worked, or not, depending on what VPN protocol is in use.  I don't expect that to change with the Arris (Intel Puma 7) modem. 

In any case, my thinking here is to get tech support to arrange a swap, one model for the other.  You will have to arrange that with tech support, and you should stress that you expect that to be done at no expense to you.  Unfortunately, Rogers isn't at the point where these modems are stocked in the local stores, so, its will take a tech visit to swap.  

Do you happen to have a router on hand?  If so, I'd consider putting the modem into Bridge mode and run the router behind it.  Officially this configuration isn't supported by Rogers, however, if the Ignite TV and VPN works, that's what matters. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Ugh.  I just got the Technicolor modem with an ignite package installed this AM, and am unable to get my Cisco AnyConnect VPN working.  I will have no choice but to get this to work somehow, even if it means Rogers comes back and swaps me back to the old POS modem I had before this.  

It's frustating this thread is several months old and no fix or understanding yet.

I Plan to Stick Around

FWIW - my error message is "The VPN connection to the selected secure gateway requires a routable IPv4 physical adapter address. Please move to an IPv4 network and retry the connection or select a different secure gateway."
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok, so here's good news -- I am able to connect to my VPN just fine via WiFi connection.  It's the physical connection only that is having a problem.

I Plan to Stick Around

And even weirder, on my laptop I disconnected the wifi, put the physical connection back in, and Cisco AnyConnect was completely fine with that.  I've since logged in and out of Cisco anyconnect with just the physical connection - and it works.

It's almost as if there's some sort of initial hook that has to happen the first time you're connecting from one of these ignite based systems, and it's not going right on wired.

So -- for those with issues, have you tried Wifi instead of wired?