Ignite TV and Slingbox

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Ignite TV and Slingbox

I previously used a Rogers PVR and a Sling Box, with HD cable, without any problem.  But I just switched to Rogers  Ignite TV, and now my sling box does not seem to function. It only shows what is on live tv, but you can no longer change the channel or use any other sling box functions.  Is there a way to enable the sling box to work with the Ignite TV?

***Added Labels***

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Ignite TV and Slingbox

Able to get mine functioning awhile back,think i had to select one of the comcast remotes for x1 gear as slingbox not supported for some time so not showing the rogers ignite gear.
I'm Here A Lot

I have a Slingbox too and I just switched my Rogers service to ignite so I appear to have the same issue. From what I read, the latest Rogers ignite set top box is called an XI6-A and it does not use IR for channel changing. I presume that means that the remote only sends out some sort of RF signal. (Sorry, this is not technology I am very familiar with.)

So if there is no IR signal, then the Slingbox will never be able to tell the XI6-A to switch channels. And I also understand that all Slingbox models work on IR.

The XI6-A predecessor (XI5) appears to support IR. Does anyone know if the XI6-A will too? And if so, how to get it to do so?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Ignite tv dies RF AND IR. harmony one remotes work fine with it.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Here's some specs on the  XI6-A: Notice the IRDA

Xi6-A Specs.jpg

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Arris_AX061AEI_(Xi6-A)

I'm Here A Lot

Yeah, I saw that page. But the term "IrDA" under flags didn't tell me anything.

I've spent the last few hours reading articles and there is some hope that I can communicate with the XI6-A using IR. Is anyone doing that now? If so, did you have to do anything to the XI6-A first to get it to use IR? If you used a Harmony One, what did you tell that device? I'm not adverse to buying more components if others have gotten them to work.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The box definitely does have IR, and shouldnt have to be turned on, etc.  
I was able to set my harmony remote up OK with it, right out of the box.

As a user mentioned above..  and i believe what the harmony uses for its 'remote codes'

is the Comcast X1
(the older remote for those series of boxes)

I've Been Here Awhile

I purchased a Logitech Harmony hub and remote, and it does solve the problem. Now I can change channels, and control the Sling Box,  using the Harmony app.  It’s an extra step than previously just using the Sling Box app, but at least I can now control it remotely again, so I will be able to watch my own programs and recordings when I am away from Canada.

Thanks to everyone who helped solve this problem.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

you should be able to change the channels just fine without having to spend extra money on a Logitech Remote control. The problem you have is a configuration with slingbox and the new ignite tv box. Since the slingbox is giving you trouble, in the future, you would need to contact their own technical support hotline and have them help you to fix the issue, since its a slingbox issue and not a rogers issue. but glad you got it working.

I'm Here A Lot

I'm working through this problem now and I can tell you that there is no Slingbox support. The company has announced that there will be no more models and they are just doing basic in-warranty stuff for free, and "per incident" charges for products out of warranty. As my Slingbox is an M2 (a somewhat older model) there is no meaningful support from them. Just forums like this one.

It's good to know that the Harmony Hub route works because that's clearly my fallback approach now. 

At the moment, I'm buying an HDMI to composite converter because the ignite box only has HDMI and the Slingbox M2 takes composite but no HDMI. After I get it , I will try to tell the Slingbox that the cable box is a Comcast X1. If I can get it working I'll report on what I did. If not, it's time to buy a Harmony Hub.